PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start unless it gets towed, any help is appreciated.

Car Dummy
05-14-2005, 07:01 PM
I have a 1989 Accord LX 2.0L (Carbureted). It doesn't start unless it's warm, however with a tow from another car it starts fairly easily.
The starter and ignition system(including spark plugs & leads) seem to be working fine. The fuel filters just got replaced (they were filthy). The fuel pump is sending fuel so I assume it's ok (unless it's not sending it fast enough).
I've tried using carb cleaner on the carb. The choke seems to open and close ok, I've tried starting the car while this is held open, but this didn't help.

What do you guys think might be wrong? A blockage somewhere? A rubber pipe with a leak?

The mechanics around here haven't done anything useful so far, I take it in, they find one or two things that need work, charge me heaps of $, then the car still doesn't start the next day. I've noticed that none of them seem keen to go near the carbureter.

Mac
05-15-2005, 07:32 AM
Being that it is a carb, you know that you need to give it gas to start when cold. You might want to check the temp sensor (TW).

morpheus_70
05-16-2005, 09:04 AM
I have a 1989 Accord LX 2.0L (Carbureted). It doesn't start unless it's warm, however with a tow from another car it starts fairly easily.
The starter and ignition system(including spark plugs & leads) seem to be working fine. The fuel filters just got replaced (they were filthy). The fuel pump is sending fuel so I assume it's ok (unless it's not sending it fast enough).
I've tried using carb cleaner on the carb. The choke seems to open and close ok, I've tried starting the car while this is held open, but this didn't help.

What do you guys think might be wrong? A blockage somewhere? A rubber pipe with a leak?

The mechanics around here haven't done anything useful so far, I take it in, they find one or two things that need work, charge me heaps of $, then the car still doesn't start the next day. I've noticed that none of them seem keen to go near the carbureter.

well is it trying to turn over at all or is it turning just not starting

then well go on and see what it could be

Car Dummy
05-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Yes, it is turning over

accordlxi2.0
05-16-2005, 03:43 PM
okay most mechanics don't go near a 3g carb...well because they are afraid.

hmmm try this..if you say it's getting fuel (3psi...), spark, try taking the air box lid off,
hold the pedal 1/2 way or floor it which ever...don't keep pumping it (pump 3x's) and hold down...it should start.

with a 3g carb all it needs is air,fuel,spark.....

Car Dummy
05-16-2005, 10:15 PM
I gave up and took it into the main Honda dealer here, and they replaced the distributor. If it starts tomorrow morning I'll be happy. The old girl has been through a bit lately.

88Accord-DX
05-16-2005, 10:31 PM
That Honda dealer Tech. is going to run you $72 an hour... (that is what it is here)

Let us know if it runs. Tell them to check out that carb. too!! :thumbup:

POS carb
05-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Honda mechanics are a ripoff the only advantage they have is proper access to diagrams and testing procedures, however you're just as likely to get an idiot mechanic there as anywhere else. I think you have a carb problem but since you say it happens mostly when it's cold I'd suspect those thermovalves on the rear of the intake manifold fell apart or the secondary vacuum advance tube is broken and you're getting a bad vacuum leak when the motor is cold. It should at least try to start if you pump the gas 3-4 times on a vacuum leak... how does it idle when it's running?

Car Dummy
05-17-2005, 11:03 PM
It's fixed now (It was the distributor).
Honda did come out of it looking better than the other mechanics, though they had the advantage of me leaving the car there overnight so they could reproduce the problem, and there wasn't much left to change on the damn car anyway!
Thanks for the replies guys.