PDA

View Full Version : carb flooding when cold

powderkey2
05-16-2005, 03:04 PM
When the temperature is cool outside the carb will flood...will evetually start. When the temp is up around 60 degrees there is no problem. Anyone want to give me a starting point on this one?

accordlxi2.0
05-16-2005, 03:48 PM
hmmm.
i had 88 carb.
what i had done was rig the choke, and choke puller.
what this does is, when you push the gas (you really should'nt unless you don't have a throttle controller, or it is'nt adjusted right it should crank up without pushing the gas..but it works)
the choke closes, you start the engine turns over..so what the choke puller does is pull the choke all the way that way the carb does'nt flood...

powderkey2
05-17-2005, 07:05 AM
so the outside temperature would effect how the choke is automatically positioned?

POS carb
05-17-2005, 01:14 PM
are you sure it's flooded and not lean? The choke my be in need of adjustment, try jamming it open and starting the car when it's cold, cup your hand over the barrels as a choke if you need while you are diagnosing the problem. If it starts with less choke then yeah it's rich/flooding. If you pump the gas like 3 times and then it starts you are lean. Usually if these carbs flood it is to the point where there is a huge puddle in the manifold and you can smell it before you see it.

powderkey2
05-17-2005, 02:51 PM
It's like pumping gas up into the air filter housing...when I took the lid off the housing it was wet w/ gas...this is a remanufacturered carb about 1 1/2 yrs old...maybe just a lemon.

accordlxi2.0
05-18-2005, 07:34 AM
no...you have to keep the carb in check.
or stuff like this happens.
what about your venturis??
are they loose??

powderkey2
05-18-2005, 11:37 AM
I was wondering about the venturis...would they wiggle if loose? I've only had the car about 2 mnths...got it for my boy...it only has 73K on it...and I saw the receipt for that the previous owner had for the remanufactured carb...($500...yikes)...I'll check the venturis tonight...