PDA

View Full Version : Cant stretch timing belt back on cam gear

jigga225
05-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Ok, i replaced my cam seal tonight, and I'm trying to put everything back together. So i put the cam gear back on, and Now i can't slip the timing belt back on. I've loosened the tensioning belt.. but it only allows so much movement. I'm worried all this stretching I'm gonna mess up my belt, or turn the pulley and mess up the timing.
any tips or tricks?

BlueBead
05-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Mine was a biatch too
I had a buddy help stretch over the pulley as I worked it on. I tried taking the pulley right off, but stretching it worked better. You can't really hurt the belt... it won't deform permanantly from hand stretching.

88Accord-DX
05-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Take out all the spark plugs. Put the belt on as far as you can with the tensioner loose. Try to get as many teeth on the cam & belt...
By hand, turn the cam to the direction it needs the belt needs to slip on, at the same time, putting pressure on the belt meeting the spocket. (have your friend help to do that) Make sure you don't miss a tooth. Check the TDC on the flywheel (or crank sprocket if you pulled the pulley off) & cam after your done.

That is a trick that works on some cars. You can use a flat-head srewdriver and pry/push it up on there. Be carefull though.

jigga225
05-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Alright, had a good nights sleep. I'm going at it again. I aint lettin it punk me today.

jigga225
05-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Yah I got it. running good now.
i'ma see if that clears it before I crank open for that crankshaft

Blkblurr
05-17-2005, 12:25 PM
I got the engine to tdc and started with the left side of the belt standing on the drivers side of the car. With the tensioner loose I got as much of the belt engaged but just enough to keep the belt in position. I then pulled up on the timing belt on the right side near the top of the cam pulley and engaged the belt into the teeth. Once I did that I just pushed it into place.

POS carb
05-17-2005, 12:34 PM
sometimes I use the starter to "crank" my belts on but you have to know what you are doing... you can mark it and verify if it fell in place correctly, just keep in mind it's counterclockwise rotation so you want to get the belt on the right side of the pully and put it on as far as you can by hand, crank the motor over and it should fall into place.