PDA

View Full Version : battery light w/H4 conversion

snow_man_20
05-17-2005, 04:36 AM
I know there is a few threads about h4 problems (and i read them) but this one is kinda strange may be alt. problem. Battery is new and in good shape.

I got my alt. tested about a month ago (schucks) when my battery light started to come on when running my headlights (shortly after converting to h4). Said it was "hard to tell" if my alt was going bad. After the test it didn't turn on for about a month. Now it's doing it again.

I can crank up my stareo/amp run my heater or a/c and get nothing. Turn on the headlights and somtimes the light comes on (mainly during the day. I drive at night to work and have my headlights on and the battery light never turns on then). After it turns on it somthimes turns off after i turn every thing off for a few miles. I think it may have to do with outside temp. because it's more comon on a warm intown drive then a cool hwy drive.

When i get home and park it (bat light on) for a few hours and go back and start it bat light is off and don't come on if my headlights stay off or it's cool out side.

I have the cheap bulbs that came with the 1.99 + shipping coversion so i think they maibe the problem.

I looked through the car's records and didn't see any new alternator bills. Very few records that i know of are missing but i'm going to call the dealership and see anyway.

alternators are expensive and a bitch to change, and a good set of h4 (PIAA) bulbs are also expensive.

Other then test my alt. again (doing that today), what do you guys think?

p.s. The car's lights have never dimmed nor has it ever been hard to start due to lack of juice.

sorry it's so long, thanks for reading. Any input would be great.

thanks again.

mike

shepherd79
05-17-2005, 10:36 AM
ok, you can do a few things.
1. when the light turns on, check the voltage at the battery. it should be about 14V. if it is lower, you need new alternator.
2. if the problem is alternator get 4G accord alternator. i believe there is a how to or it is in research section.
3. good set of light bulbs will save alternator in the future.

PS. i will be selling a few things in a few days so check out the market section.

POS carb
05-17-2005, 12:31 PM
Get A Volt Meter