PDA

View Full Version : How much to get it fixed (accident!)??

AntiRice
05-17-2005, 12:39 PM
What do you guys think?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/cash68/accord.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/cash68/accord1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/cash68/accord2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/cash68/accord3.jpg

I rear ended a truck on the highway. It sucks, this is my first accident, and I had 4 people in the car, lots of rain, only 2 lanes of traffic with concrete on boths ides. Truck in front of me slams on his brakes (which is fine, I was very far back, not tailgating or speeding), and unfortunately his brakes were better than mine. I think I hit him at 5-7mph somewhere, but his stupid truck bumper went OVER the accord's bumper, smashing the hood, both headlights, and shoving the condensor and radiator backwards. Think it's fixable? The rest of the car is in such clean shape... I really really really don't want to part it out. :(

- Rob

Vanilla Sky
05-17-2005, 01:21 PM
well, to have it fixed propperly, you're gonna be replacing that radiator support (the entire front end)...

get some better pictures (don't take any funky angles to get the whole part in the shot, jsut zoom out or back up)... coming from experience, i've seen cars look ok-ish in pics then when i see them, the damage is significantly worse than anticipated...

and if that were to go to a shop, it would cost in the thousands...

AntiRice
05-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Bah. Fucking gay if you ask me. It'd be a crime to junk this thing since it runs so well. Maybe I'll get some chain and try to pull out the front end with my SVX.

mzabeefy
05-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Hood: 150$
Both Headlamp assemblies: 100$
Left fender: 60$
left side lamp: 20$
radiator core support: 50$
Radiator: 65$
Condenser: 50$
Both fans(if damaged, can't really see): 80$

575$ total for replacing all that stuff.

These are the prices that the junkyard that I work at would charge(we're pretty expensive though, not a u-pull-it).

AntiRice
05-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Does the radiator support cradle the headlights? Pic #4 is what worries me.

AntiRice
05-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Fans are both fine, the condensor isn't needed since hte A/C doesn't work anyways, and the fender can probably be saved. What I'm really needing is a hood, both headlamps, side lamp, grille, and radiator (heck even that might be okay, though the leaking coolant suggests otherwise, I'll check tomorrow).

- Rob

NXRacer
05-17-2005, 03:39 PM
dude, you got of easy. just start hitting up the junk yards for parts. you can replace everything yourself. that stuff is super easy. sucks you wrecked it. that baby is clean.

Busted_Blue
05-17-2005, 03:39 PM
dont fix it, just sell me your trunk lid :D

AntiRice
05-17-2005, 03:52 PM
So wait wait wait. If I get a radiator core support, can I just unbolt the whole bent part? I mean, even the part where hte headlights are bolted into is pushed back an inch or two.

3gn86lxi
05-17-2005, 04:07 PM
It is bolted together, but it is also tack welded. So you would have to drill out the welds, unbolt the bad one, install the new one and re-weld it.
That would be a total if insurance was involved :sad2: .
Sucks, it was super clean.

AntiRice
05-17-2005, 05:22 PM
Luckily, no insurance is involved and my dad works at a bodyshop. :P

But just to be clear, if I order a new radiator core support it extends all the way behind the headlights? Or do the headlight frames connect to the body, and the radiator frame is only between them? I guess I'm just not clear which part goes where yet.

- Rob

PS: Thanks for your help guys! I want to get this thing back on the road. Screw totalling her, she's got 221,000 miles and doesn't burn oil. I want to resurrect her in a shade of WRX blue, but my wife (it's her car after all) wants the factory lame blue color. :\ We'll see I guess.

AntiRice
05-18-2005, 07:35 AM
Anyone have a pic of the radiator core support?

NXRacer
05-18-2005, 07:37 AM
its super easy to take apart. no tricks or anything. i've pulled the front end apart a few times and it was insanely easy the first time i did it. If your dad owns a body shop or works at one, you should get him to hook you up with a can of your color so you can repaint the junk yard parts to match if you cant find a junk yard car in your color.

AntiRice
05-18-2005, 08:03 AM
k. I assume you have to remove the front bumper cover, then the bumper core, then just start unbolting things, eh? I should pick up a manual for this thing.

SteveDX89
05-18-2005, 08:07 AM
Def. get a manual for that bad boy. Such a clean 3g. Anyway, if you took that to a shop, it would 1 or 2 thousand. If you fix yourself, you could get away for a few hundred.

NXRacer
05-18-2005, 08:13 AM
take off the front bumper lights and there will be bolts behind that. then remove the screws on the side on the wheel well.

then just start unbolting all the 10mm bolts you can see. its pretty easy and straightforward.

shepherd79
05-18-2005, 08:54 AM
if your headlight supports are bent inside, you will never get them right. the lights will never pop up properly.
you can try and spend $1-2K on it, and the shop may get it right, but it won't be the same.

our cars are hard to work on when you get into excidents.

AntiRice
05-18-2005, 11:40 AM
As you can see headlight cradles (?) are bent inwards and are touching the battery. Does that include the radiator support?

- Rob

AntiRice
05-19-2005, 02:54 PM
They qouted me $758 to pull out the bent section, install a new radiator, turn signal, and install a new hood latch. Ouch. I doubt the headlights will line up properly since htey're so toasted, but maybe I can get new ones at a junkyard and throw them in. I really want to save her, but this is looking shitty. >sigh<

AntiRice
05-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Well, considering you can't really get much of a car for under 2 grand, I'm going all out and we're not only fixing the accord, but also quasi restoring it. I just put in new plugs and a filter, but she'll be getting a few other goodies in very shortly. If anybody sees a deal on some GSR hammer rims, let me know.

rare_89lxi_coupe
05-20-2005, 10:22 PM
That's definitely a good quote I'd say...I just got done with refinishin @WyoTech and we had to do all the estimating crap and he's right- insurance would total it :( But hey- it could be worse- check this out...
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=15556&highlight=totalled
that was MY baby. Wanna talk about a wreck...
Good luck with it- I'm glad everyone's alright and you can fix it. I'd give many things to get my car back. Had 91k when I wrecked it.

Vanilla Sky
05-20-2005, 10:29 PM
wow julie... nice to see you back around here...

oh, and we had a 3gee around here (the board) totalled for a broken cig lighter...

88Accord-DX
05-20-2005, 10:34 PM
That is a bad wreck.
Wyo-Tech is a pretty good school from what I hear. Nevermind, I see what your taking in you sig.
That guy AntiRice is banned BTW.

bullard123
05-21-2005, 06:59 AM
That's definitely a good quote I'd say...I just got done with refinishin @WyoTech and we had to do all the estimating crap and he's right- insurance would total it :( But hey- it could be worse- check this out...
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=15556&highlight=totalled
that was MY baby. Wanna talk about a wreck...
Good luck with it- I'm glad everyone's alright and you can fix it. I'd give many things to get my car back. Had 91k when I wrecked it.

Wow! What happened?? Did you roll it?? Its a miracle you survived that. God was definately with you.

88Accord-DX
05-21-2005, 07:04 AM
nevermind.

carotman
04-23-2008, 05:22 PM
The best repair you could do is to replace that part:

http://thegreatdane.homepage.dk/aerodeck/68.JPG

Kagato
04-23-2008, 08:02 PM
resurrected from the dead thread is resurrected....

Civic Accord Honda
04-23-2008, 08:20 PM
2005!??!?

ghettogeddy
04-23-2008, 08:23 PM
really though lol dude that started the thread hasent been on scenes 05 lol

2drSE-i
04-29-2008, 07:38 AM
can you buy an entire rad support like that? if so i want one.