PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish, clutch slipping... help?

halxi
05-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Well today i noticed that my clutch is slipping really bad, today i even got a few wiffs of that damn burning clutch smell just from normal driving... could this be why my car has been incredibly sluggish lately?

It was just something that crossed my mind, thought id look into it...

thanks in advance

Grant2k
05-17-2005, 08:09 PM
check the freeplay before you tear into it. it could just be a simple adjustment.

halxi
05-17-2005, 08:13 PM
the clutch is almost 8 years old so i doubt it would be that simple, but ill look into it, thanks for the info. Hopefully thats all it is really, and it will save me a few hundred bucks.

88Accord-DX
05-17-2005, 10:01 PM
If the clutch is 8 years old, it probably needs re-placed. I bet it is glazed over pretty good & worn down. An oil leak around the head can leak on the clutch causing it to glaze over pretty quick. Check the adjustment on it first.

halxi
05-18-2005, 01:23 PM
yea ill get that done, but does anybody have an answer to the problem?

could a slipping clutch cause the car to be sluggish?

the head doesnt leak at all, so i know thats not the problem... probably just old fashion wear and tear. But right now i really dont have the money to be putting a clutch in it.

Neuspeed87lx
05-18-2005, 06:13 PM
yes the clutch slipping could def. make your car feel sluggish

halxi
05-18-2005, 06:16 PM
ok, its throughout the whole powerban though, not just right off the line :sad2:

but i guess if its that old and worn down its possible, guess ill find out tomorrow when i get my car back with a fixed coolant temp sensor.

Neuspeed87lx
05-18-2005, 06:22 PM
what do you mean by sluggish ? i dont want to make anyone here mad but the 3g's arent race cars....are you comparing it to another car you have drivin ... or is there a change in the car since you have owned it ?

88Accord-DX
05-18-2005, 09:24 PM
ok, its throughout the whole powerban though, not just right off the line
The clutch will slip throughout all the gears, but more noticeable in 3-5th gears. If your R.P.M.'s go up when you hit the gas & the car doesn't accelerate, your clutch is slipping.

3gn86lxi
05-18-2005, 10:00 PM
the clutch is almost 8 years old so i doubt it would be that simple, but ill look into it, thanks for the info. Hopefully thats all it is really, and it will save me a few hundred bucks.
My car needed a clutch when I bought it, I got prices from shops to do it for between $500 to $700.
Good luck with that!

whowasdat
05-18-2005, 10:22 PM
yea, if ur car is runnin like that, its definently the clutch, i had the same exact problem. engine revvin but there was no go. haha, i had ran like 2 stop lights n 3 stop signs to get home so i wouldnt have to slow down and make it worse.

halxi
05-18-2005, 10:25 PM
the car has been in the family for 17 years now, bought new by my parents.

Even back in march when i first started driving it, it would accell and such faster then it does now.

Getting on the highway and stuff is really the only time i push it, and ive noticed that it takes it alot longer to get up to speed. For example, at one point in time i could hit 4th gear @ 70mph before the onramp ended. Now im lucky to be in the middle of 3rd.

I have noticed that the rpms seem to be going up fast, but the speed isnt there. Its not a sudden jump from like, 3k-5k, but it seems that they do go up faster then they should... if that makes any sense at all

ya, ive found myself "california stopping" alot more recently, just rolling up to the stopsign in 1st then going if its clear since it takes forever to get up to speed, even in neighborhoods. Also, this isnt clutch related, but when sitting at a stop sign or something, when you start giving it gas to go again, the rpms drop before going back up, could it be part of the coolant temp sensor problem ive been having? or something else?

88Accord-DX
05-18-2005, 10:40 PM
I do know form here, that engine coolant sensor has cause some different problems. Just re-place it and see what happenns.

Other than your clutch problem. Sounds like the clutch still needs re-placed after your last post.

Here is your (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=43456) problem. I think you realize that.