PDA

View Full Version : mounting up an accel supercoil

jrmini12
05-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Building a great 89 accord for my 15 yr old. I have done many small upgrades to the motor. Very limited funds( he is paying for it). added a gude cam, pacesetter header, shaved head .030, awaiting a adj. timing gear( need one bad), ported and polished out tb, cold air intake sytem, and had my friend work on the computer. Nothing ever done to the stock ignition. I have noticed on a few accords around my year looking at pics and I noticed that they have installed a accel supercoil. I have a brand new one laying in my garage that I was going to use for another project and was wondering how to install it correctly on this accord. Motor is the lovely A20A3. Can someone tell me how to hook the wires up correctly and do I need to run the resistor and where do you put it.. Someone please help..

Some of the other upgrades I/we have done to this car is 17" Koni wheels, 215/40/17 kumo tires, 3" drop, custom hood, and a few other things. Car is getting close to getting painted but want to finish all nasty stuff first. Not looking for nos or turbo, car seems to be to low to drive very fast on street ( bottoms Out) but I am working on that. Someone please help out on this Dist. changeover. you can privatly pm me at [email protected] or just post. I would appreciat it. I will get you guys some pics soon.. thanks

NXRacer
05-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Hey, i got your email. welcome to the site! This place has LOTS of info on how to do a lot of mods to our cars. The best way to find stuff is to search. There's an article in the How-To section for installing an aftermarket coil. After you get it wired up, you can put it pretty much anywhere you want.

jrmini12
05-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Hey, i got your email. welcome to the site! This place has LOTS of info on how to do a lot of mods to our cars. The best way to find stuff is to search. There's an article in the How-To section for installing an aftermarket coil. After you get it wired up, you can put it pretty much anywhere you want.

I looked but did not find any info..Please help, I looked twice, maybe I am looking in the wrong area

Strugglebucket
05-23-2005, 02:32 AM
here you go:
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=114

if it's the canister type coil like the one pictured in the how to then it's an accel superstock and you don't need any resistor.

*edit* i read your post more carefully... so you have the supercoil and the ballast resistor that came with it? you won't need it, as long as you're still using resistor plug wires.

Luis 89LXi
05-23-2005, 04:09 AM
*edit* i read your post more carefully... so you have the supercoil and the ballast resistor that came with it? you won't need it, as long as you're still using resistor plug wires.

I am a bit confused here. i want to use a diferent coil brand:

do i need a coil whit Internal resistor or to use whit external ressistor ???

Luis

racerx
05-23-2005, 10:20 AM
use resistor spark plug wires, like accel 8mm wires. they're made for the accel coil, and there's a set that's made to fit the accord.

jrmini12
05-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the help. I small question.... The little black square thing that is mounted next to the coil, looks like some kind of resistor or something, hooks into the wiring harness and goes to the dist. Do I need to hook it up as well,?? What is it ???? what does it do ??? Can I remive it ???? Just want to make sure

snoopyloopy
05-31-2005, 09:14 PM
randomly noticed that you said the car bottoms out since you lowered it. is it excessive and have the car kinda bouncing a lot?

POS carb
06-01-2005, 05:06 PM
just chop the 4 wires from the stock coil. Wire the 2 black/yellow to +, wire the 2 blue to -. Done

The condenser is just a .49 uF capacitor to suppress radio noise. The shop manual says the car might not run without it but i've never had that happen to me.