PDA

View Full Version : Hello , new user here .

daveo1
05-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Hello , thanks for creating this really great resource for Honda information.
I am not much of a mechanic , but I am trying to get our old 87 Accord hatchback going again after it sat behind our house for two years.
I was going to sell it or junk it but after all it had been through with our family , I thought I would like to drive it again.

I have a couple of questions .
1. Is this a carburated or fuel injection engine ? Underneath the hood it says " Engine Family Identification HHN2OV2FEF3 "
2. I was taking the distrubutor cap off and broke one of the two 7mm bolts that hold it on , how can I get the broken stud out of the body of the distributor?

Thanks , everybody .

NXRacer
05-20-2005, 03:55 PM
first, welcome! You'll find a lot of useful help around here. Just make sure to take full advantage of the search button.

1 - whats the model of your car? DX, LX, LXI etc. anything with an "i" involved means its fuel injected. Also it will have a PGM-FI on the intake manifold. If you have the old school carb cover then its 100% carb. :D

2 - you'll just have to figure that one out on your own. Maybe an easy out? i dunno, never had that problem.

dont forget to search. its your friend.

Autowiz
05-20-2005, 05:16 PM
where is your air filter? if it's on top of your engine, then it's carberated, if it's on the side between the engine and the firewall, then it's pgm-fi. my personal recommendations are if it's a carb., swap the intake, some sensors, main harness and pcm, and make it fuel injected. but i digress, that way, you'd have to change the pump, too, it'd be so much labor for a 3rd gen, it wouldn't be worth it, not for an a20a3 motor. as far as the distrubutor problem goes, if your a novice, you can replace the whole dist. assembly for around $100. that'd assure a good hot, well timed spark, anyway. especially if it's sat for a while.

Robs89LXi
05-20-2005, 07:28 PM
Sounds like yet another job for one of the greatest tools ever invented, the easy-out.
1. Get a sharp pointed punch. Line it up dead center on the broken bolt, and make a nice indentaion with a sharp hammer blow.
2. Get an appropriately sized drill bit and start drilling. You only have to go in maybe an 1/8" to 1/4" for a good bite.
3. Using the appropriately sized easy-out, tap it into the hole you made with the drill, then start unscrewing it using a proper sized wrench (or crescent wrench).
I have never failed using this method and tools on any broken bolt I've encountered so far. Good luck.