PDA

View Full Version : Throttle problems

jaiden
05-22-2005, 06:14 AM
How much slack is the throttle cable supposed to have? When the car is off, I have at least .5 cm of slack, and then when I'm running the car, the engine goes to 3000 RPM. If I pull up on the gas pedal, it will drop down to around 1000.

If I put even more slack in the cable, it won't do this, but it seems like 1cm is too much slack to me.. Like it might get caught on something.

Also, would a vacuum leak screw up my cruise control? I plugged the line going to the leaky heat riser diaphragm, and that didn't help anything.

Would a vac leak somewhere cause this kind of problem? Maybe there's something that takes up the slack in the cable which is stuck on?

DanG86LX
05-23-2005, 09:38 AM
jaiden>>> "..the engine goes to 3000 RPM. If I PULL UP ON THE GAS PEDAL, it will drop down to around 1000.."

That's a sure sign there is NOT enough slack on cable, no mater haw it looks. And is doing that when the engine is warm or after a long drive.. usually during summer.
Seems like cable jacket expands faster @ hot than the cable which creates friction cable-jacket which overcomes whatever springs @ carb and gas pedal..

A vacuum leak will screw up ur idle 1st.. U may have other prob with ur cruise control!