PDA

View Full Version : anyone opened up a window controller?

w261w261
05-22-2005, 09:11 AM
My window controller is intermittently bad, so I've bought another one, but haven't installed it yet. I was thinking that inside that white box must be an old-fashioned set of relay points, which are probably dirty. If no one exactly knows what goes on in there, I'll do a little research on my old one after I take it out, and can possibly develop a way to rebuild the unit instead of going to a junkyard and maybe having the same problem again, or buying a new one for $100+ like I did.

Has anyone opened up the controller and looked inside?

Hal

shepherd79
05-22-2005, 11:40 AM
I have never done it. i get them for free at the junk yards.

AccordEpicenter
05-22-2005, 02:35 PM
yes, somtimes the relays do fail, get a box off ebay

nutmeg_runner
05-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Same problem. I opened it up and studied the circuit board closely. One soldered terminal looked rough and cracked so I applied some heat with a solder iron and a drop of solder. Works perfectly now. Interestingly, mine is black not white like you described. There is no way I was spending over $100 for something that just provides the Auto down feature. The Honda parts guy told me it would not work without the controller but the passenger side does not have one and it works fine. Open it by prying the lid off with a very small screwdriver. I carefully pried the housing out around the indents of the lid first.

nutmeg_runner
05-23-2005, 04:07 PM
I just realized you may not be speaking about the power window control unit. It is rectangular slightly larger than a cigarette package. Honda part number 38370-SE3-A61 006 list price $154.77. Instead are you talking about the power window master switch?

w261w261
05-23-2005, 05:42 PM
I was speaking of the controller box (the one you operated on). I've already bought a new one (yeh, $100+ is steep), so I can experiment on the one I'll take out. I didn't want to have the car open while I messed around with the old one, and I didn't want to put in one from the yard and have it fail in a few months and have to go into the door again. I have more money than time at this point so I want to get it fixed and done with. Thanks for the info.