PDA

View Full Version : hello all....quick clutch question....

3rdGenHatchBack
05-23-2005, 09:53 AM
first and foremost i would like to say hello to everyone, i have been around the boards a while just soaking in info and decided to register, and my first post is going to be a stupid question......

ok, i have a 89 hatch, and the clutch is almost completely gone, i would just like to know if i could maybe replace just the clutch disk? or do i HAVE to replace the clutch, throwout bearing, pressure plate? im really low on cash right now, and i dont care if this wont last very long because its only 15.00 for a new disk but 120 for a whole kit. i just need it to get me around until my job picks up a little more.....

thanks in advance guys!!

jigga89SEi
05-23-2005, 10:01 AM
I personally would recommend getting the whole kit... You could probly get by with just the disc but it wouldn't be to long.. especially if you drive hard... if you can get the PP and the disc you could probly go without changing the bearing if the are no probs with it... And I'd really recommend getting the flywheel resurfaced....

AccordEpicenter
05-23-2005, 05:18 PM
well, it depends on how bad they are worn. Ive seen guys do it and not have issues, and ive seen guys that needed to put in a throwout bearing and didnt and were taking it apart a few weeks later, it all depends on how bad the stuff thats in it, is

Neuspeed87lx
05-23-2005, 06:06 PM
relpace everything while your in there ... do it once and do it right ... it will be much better to do it once and be done with it .... i would def replace the clutch disc and the pressure plate together... and the bearings arent much of a big deal once your in there...and resurfacing/replacing the flywheel when replacing the clutch is a good rule to follow....

88Accord-DX
05-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Welcome to the board man.
I agree with the last post, do it right the first time while your in there. Taking out the axles, pulling the transaxle takes a little time to do. You should save a little more money and not worrying about pulling it out again.

If you just put the clutch disc in, the pressure plate might not have the best force against the disc over a period of time. Look and listen to the throw-out bearing for any grinding noise or any kind of play in it.
If your going to cut corners, (should re-surface the flywheel) but you can sand the flywheel good & even with about 200-320 grit sandpaper if it don't have bad grooves or cracks on it.

halxi
05-24-2005, 08:40 AM
wait until its completely gone, then get everything replaced. Im in the same boat as you right now, i have a clutch thats 8years old and its pretty much toast. But im not replacing it, or looking to replace it until it completely goes out, mainly because i dont have the money to fix it at the moment.

Immeraufdemhund
05-24-2005, 08:47 AM
i hate for you guys to have to resurface your flywheel if the disc shatters and sktraches everything to hell. I would get the kit and not worry about it. Talk to some of the stores around there and see if you can get a credit thing going. but deffinatly get the whole kit.

88Accord-DX
05-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Hey 3rdGenHatchback. Click here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7977139936&category=33730) for a good deal on pressure plate, disc, throw-out bearing & alighnment tool. Starting bid at $24.99 ;)