PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 3G for a case of beer.... Need advice

SYMBIOTIX
05-24-2005, 06:10 PM
So ive been bugging my friend to sell me his old accord for over a year now and he finally broke down. This weekend he let me have it for a good case of Canadian Beer. The cars actually in very good shape physically, 5 speed with only 184,000kms (1989, LX carbeurated). He recently replaced the alternator and the brakes before purchasing the 1500 you see in the background.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/symbiotix/IMG_06131.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/symbiotix/IMG_06141.jpg

So heres what I know about the condition of the car it needs a new battery, probably a full tune up (wondering what you guys reccomend cap, rotors plugs etc) and I havent had a chance to look at the steering yet but it is definitely fubared (feels like there is no power steering) Ive been doing a bit of research here since yesterday and have found a couple DIY on steering component replacements. Just wondering if the steering assy is a weak spot on our cars, and if so what would my likely problem be? Also is there anything else you guys reccomend to get this beast back on the road?... Thanks in advance for any help

-P@

snoopyloopy
05-24-2005, 07:02 PM
well, i don't have much advice. but definately a good deal imo. wish i could get one for that.

Oldblueaccord
05-24-2005, 07:05 PM
Well on Hondas you should use the Honda only power steering fluid only. I know it sounds stupid but it has additives that keep the seals happy. I use a brand made by Bardaylls that works well for me. There is a good chance that the steering rack itself is bad baring anything isnt bad like the pump or the power steering belt even.

As far as tune up I use Standard parts and the regular NGK plugs. The only cap and rotor I would stay away from is the Wells brand stuff like from K-mart and Wal-mart its junk.

I'd chuck a battery in it a drive it some to see whats up. For a case of beer I wouldnt expect much so I wouldnt dump a bunch of money into anyway.

wp

johndej
05-24-2005, 08:24 PM
you said this has been you friend's car and you've been after him for a year so it sounds like you know whats wrong w/ it. i'd say just change the plugs/wires/battary w/ about anything you want (i use ngk v-power plugs), check all the filters and fluids, and you'll prob be set. looks like a good deal for a case of beer.

mouchyn
05-24-2005, 08:42 PM
see that faded trim piece behind the front wheel? all of the 3Gs around here are like that. Just that one piece.

anyone know what the deal is on that?

gfrg88
05-24-2005, 08:50 PM
on mine it was faded the same all around the car, i guess its the sun or something.

halxi
05-24-2005, 09:06 PM
Its UV damage, 15+ years of sitting in the sun soaking up UV's isnt good for any car. Back on topic.

Great deal, NGK seems to be fairly popular for plugs and such and i also use their products. Cant go wrong with it. For the steering, i was going to say check your belt and the fluid. Every once in a while i get a dead spot where my steering basically locks and looses the power steering feel for about 2 seconds then it will go back to normal. Why i dont know, but it hasnt really caused any major problems.

shepherd79
05-25-2005, 05:23 AM
here is what do:
1. get NGK spark plkug wires.
2. get NGK spark plugs
3. go to dealer and buy OEM distributor cap and rotor. aftermarket ones can cause missfire.

PS problem, you can try flushing it. the steering should be light when the car is not moving. when it starts moving it should get heavy. if that doesn't change,you need to replace PS pump. You can get them at junk yard very cheap. just make sure they don't have PS oil all over them and engine.

Trim, it is normal. you can paint the trim later. it is very easy.

w261w261
05-25-2005, 05:46 AM
<see that faded trim piece behind the front wheel? all of the 3Gs around here are like that. Just that one piece>

I think that front trim piece was made by another contractor, as most of them turn that color. You can do a quick fix using a trim blackener "Back to Black" or a similar product, but unless you abrade the surface some it will come back quickly. Instead, use a fine rubbing compound to get the oxidation (or whatever it is on the surface) off. You have to rub a bit. Then use a trim blackener and you'll be allright for awhile.

This also happens on the trim piece below the gas filler, if you spill gas on it regularly. Same fix.

phrenology
05-25-2005, 06:41 AM
I really hope that was some good beer, or your friend got kinda screwed! Hah :cheers: :cheers:

possum
05-25-2005, 05:32 PM
I knew a guy who ran the power steering dry for several years. He thought it was manual steering. I filled the tank for him and it ran fine after that. The PS systems are not a fail point on these cars. They work pretty darn good.

Ditto the tune up parts.....NGK plugs, OE cap and rotor. Might want to add in an air and fuel filter too. Your plug wires might be ok. try spraying them with some water and see if it stalls.

kaltenacht
05-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Ok well I would get a some NGK sparkplugs to start with, then either Bosch or Durlast Ultra Spark Plugs and Coil... Then Fram Oil and either Bosch or Fram air Filter... And as far as cap and button, get whatever from Advance, i cant remember the brand but thats where I got mine from. Honda power steering fluid, Autozone sells some from the brand Coastal... I run 20w-50 oil in my Castrol GTX, seems to work fine for my car, (87 Accord LXI). Hope that helps some

SYMBIOTIX
05-25-2005, 06:16 PM
I appreciate all the help guys... Im going to toss in some NGK plats, and plug wires, as well as a new OE cap and rotor this weekend as per your advice. Then Ill check on the steering. Might even touch up the side moulding with a bit of flat black paint as well.... God I love project cars. Ill keep you posted on how it goes

-P@

Robs89LXi
05-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Nah, don't use paint. You can buy stuff for black trim at autopart stores or good ol' Walmart. As for power steering, I'd wipe down all the hoses and pump real good first, fill with Honda power steering fluid (from dealership, not that expensive) and then turn the steering back and forth several times with the engine running (it self bleeds). Then look at the hoses and pump to see if there are any leaks. Should be all you need, unless you have a problem.
Ditto on tune up: plugs, cap, rotor, coolant flush, oil/filter change, check tranny fluid, air + fuel filter. Check your brakes too; they tend to be a bit slow moving after sitting that long.
You got a heck of a deal there, by the way. Good luck.

nutmeg_runner
05-26-2005, 05:13 PM
20w50? The 1988 service manual states 5w30 preferred but 10w30 acceptable for ambient temperatures above 20 degrees Farenheit. Please check the owners manual.

SYMBIOTIX
05-26-2005, 05:53 PM
What is the name of the stuff used to touch up the trim (side mouldings)?

w261w261
05-26-2005, 06:02 PM
There's a lot of them, just ask at an auto store. But on the little side trim piece just in front of the front door(s), you need to abrade the surface and get rid of the oxidation or whatever turns it white. If you don't, the "Back to Black" stuff will only work for a short time.

HondaBoy
05-26-2005, 07:58 PM
wow, that things looks really clean! all hail the Canadian beer. lol. anyway, yeah do that basic tune up. oil, oil filter, air filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor. should be good to go, unless you have leaking vacuum lines from the carb. as for the power steering, yes, you do want to use the real Honda P/S fluid. the mechanic that put my P/S rack on didnt use it and it doesnt work now. maybe its the consistancy of the fluid? i dunno, but use the Honda stuff. oh, and that Back to Black trim restorer, it works alright. i does a good job of cleaning grease and what ever else is on the trim, but its like armoral in the fact that you have to keep doing it over and over again. its not permanent. i like it because it isnt greasy like armoral or STP kind.

SYMBIOTIX
05-27-2005, 02:21 AM
Hmmm did a little photoshop to see what she'd look like with the rims off of my Si-R:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/symbiotix/IMG_06141copy.jpg

-P@

89accord_lxi_coupe
05-27-2005, 04:57 AM
hmmm, that looks pretty good. well i congratulate you on a good find. you've gotten all the necessary advice for under the hood. for that trim, i painted mine. used a fine grit sand paper to clear the oxidation and then cleaned the area well with car cleaning solution. let it completely dry!!! paper and tape around the area to avoid overspray and put down your paint. i did a couple of coats to be sure and let it dry. i can't remember if i put on a clear coat, don't think i did. it shouldn't take you long to do it, then enjoy a beer and then laugh and enjoy how nice your car is. god i love that color.

1ajs
05-27-2005, 01:15 PM
don't forget to pump the gas tank out you can use the fuel pump to do this just unplug the gas line from the filter to the carb and conet another hose from the filter to the jery can and turn the ignition 1 notch forward . if the gas looks ok you can stop just gas is not ment to last more then a cuple months and starts to degrade. nice thing about these cars with the carb is you acedently put in deasl and it won't care

SYMBIOTIX
05-27-2005, 04:28 PM
/\/\/\ Actually that a good point... The tank was pretty much completely empty when I picked it up... Im assuming I dont need to pump the little bit of old gas out, but is there any concern about the tank being rusted out, if it sat there empty for around 7 months??

HondaBoy
05-27-2005, 04:42 PM
there is a drain plug at the bottom of the tank. there is on mine anyway. sitting for 7 months, i'd put berryman B12 chemtool into a full tank. that'll clean the water out i know, i had to do it on mine. also cleans up other stuff, like when your grandman accidently puts diesel into here as of then new '02 accord.
http://www.midwayautosupply.com/images/berryman/0116_3X.jpg