PDA

View Full Version : Venom 400 Control Module

Skaboy6t9
08-08-2002, 04:33 PM
Hey whats goin on guys i have a few questions about the Venom 400 Control Module thats available for our cars. I want to know if anyone on here has this and what they think about it, likes and dislikes, and the different gains the chip brings. I know nopi carries them and ive seen sellers on ebay sell em for cheaper and am thinking about getting one. Any feedback would be awesome id really like to hear what u guys think of this.

Peace
-Cam

MoonScryer
08-08-2002, 06:07 PM
It tricks your car into thinking it's at wide open throttle, when only at part throttle, so you think you get better performance. It only occurs on the low end, not the high end of the rev range, so don't expect much from above 4,500rpm. Below that, I'd say you might get something, unless you are a lead foot.

toastyghost
08-08-2002, 07:15 PM
TPS's do NOTHING for your actual performance, they just give it more fuel at the bottom. In higher-hp apps (my baby the GM 3800 Series II Supercharged for example) they are really useful because it's moving a lot more fuel to begin with. But I can't see them being worth the cost for most rice-burners. The Venom TPS probably won't do you a lot of good if you can piggyback your shoe onto the accelerator. :D

darkhonda89
08-08-2002, 08:54 PM
first of all i love it it make 4 quick power off the line and great for mid range power and after 5000 the cars power is just kicking in well sort of but u know what i mean however it does dump gas rather quick but i dont mind i also didnt like the fact that u have 2 turn the car off 2 turn the 400 on and off but it made all my mods come 2 gether and my car got psycho i like it and am very satisfied withe the product 2thumbs up 4 the VENOM 400..............dark...

Skaboy6t9
08-08-2002, 09:11 PM
Im glad someone replied that has it and has used it, its good to hear what u think Dark. Btw where did u get it? There seems to be mixed opinions about the Venom 400 is there anyone else on here that has this on their ride? Any more info anyone could provide on the chip would be righteous. Thanx boyz

-Cam

Sean
08-08-2002, 10:10 PM
take a hammer and smash the fpr same result. this thing is a waste of money. bump the damn distributor up 2 degress.

Skaboy6t9
08-08-2002, 10:16 PM
if i knew how to do it i would i saw a previous post in this same forum about modifying the distributor. Can anyone explain how modifying the distributor can match the same effect as the chip? Im guessing its its something to do with fuel management can anyone clear it up? Thanx

-Cam

Skaboy6t9
08-08-2002, 10:20 PM
dark what mods do u have with the Venom 400?

Sean
08-08-2002, 10:24 PM
if you dont know how to set the timing how are you going to wire in a active tps gain switch. which is what the venom is.

Skaboy6t9
08-08-2002, 10:33 PM
Me and my friend installed it on his civic and it picks up way faster than it did before. This unit doesn't simply advance or retard the timing it modifies all the signals from your throttle control and the MAF sensor, you would not get the same result by taking out the fuel pressure regulator. I dont see the connection in taking out the fpr but if there is a connection maybe u can explain.

Sean
08-08-2002, 10:38 PM
firts o have spent about 2 months hacking this engine computer. this unit is going to do nothing for you. the timing is mechanicla and the fuel is not going to be affect with the map reading. all yr gonna do is piss of the ecu. trust me save yr moeny for something better.

CrVtecKid
08-08-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by toastyghost
TPS's do NOTHING for your actual performance, they just give it more fuel at the bottom. In higher-hp apps (my baby the GM 3800 Series II Supercharged for example) they are really useful because it's moving a lot more fuel to begin with. But I can't see them being worth the cost for most rice-burners. The Venom TPS probably won't do you a lot of good if you can piggyback your shoe onto the accelerator. :D

TPS's don't do anything for performance? What the hell are you talking about man tons of cars have them its simply a sensor indicating the throttle position to the ECU so like maybe when you're at half throttle the venom unit would indicate a different position, with the different Mass Air Flow sensor reading creates more power. Why are you guys talking like you've used this unit when not one person that's owned it has abandoned it because it doesn't work. My friend's got it on his civic and it DYNO'D out 15 Hp. So it doesn't work? I guess your way smarter than dyno numbers aren't you?:werd:

Sean
08-08-2002, 11:26 PM
first of all i have dynoed 3 cars with venom 400's and lost between 2-7 hp on each car. secondly advance the tps voltage is gonna wig thsi particular ECU out. turst me the codes pretty fragile and if it doens;t see the right correlations of map and tps its gonna do some wacky things. you have zero idea how this particular engine computer functions so i dont think yr in any postions to speak about the effectiveness of a system that will bump the voltage to the tps and the map.

CrVtecKid
08-08-2002, 11:34 PM
Alright so who are these people that you "tested" their car and dyno'd it out. Did they convientely not pick this thread to reply to since they have experience with the unit. How would the programming on your ECU THAT different from any other one? Why would the different signals "wig" any ECU and I don't think the venom increaces any voltage amount to the ECU does it? And did darkhonda89 just imagine he gained power when he lost it. Anybody can feel when they have 3 people in the car or when you turn on a/c that it boggs your engine down so theres no way you could confuse gaining power with losing it.

A20A1
08-08-2002, 11:44 PM
It sound to me like the effectiveness that system would have on our cars would not be as great as a car made 5 years later.

Which means it's probrably not worth the money, if you could spend the same amount or less and get 5 more hp by doing some other mod.

but in the end it's your money... your car.

Sean
08-08-2002, 11:52 PM
you know man your eally testing my paitence the venom is a WHITE ELEPHANT. someone proborlay got luck and got a voltage boost in just the right spot. im not gonna debate this with you anymore. i lost horespower on 2 95 neons and once p30ecm b16a civic si.

we can keep going round and round but yr missing the big picture. if you really wnat what the venom has to offer adjust the damn tps sensor. also if your really creative you could raise the map voltage. but like i said before the ECM has to see some pretty specific values or else it will throw a code becuase the sensors will be out of range for the given value you they should be in hex.

ie at

4800 rpm
50% throttle or 2.5 volts tps
and 1.4 volts map which is 50% load the ecu will expect to toggle the O2 sensor to around .450-.650 volts. now if you chnage the valuce of the tps by say %10 the ecu now thinks one of to things is wrong. the tps or the map sensor is out of range.

but what the killer is that the MAP vs rM vs TPS tbale in the ecm is supposed to be putting out a injector PW of 4.56 msec. now when the tps is out of refernce the computer will goto the O2 reading and try to correct this. the map sensor is also figured in.

when it gets done and has corrected the load the CEL or check engine light will come on becuase it will have determined that the TPS is out of ranges.

im not gonna get into the algorythm behind all of this becuase that would take 3 days to type.

so deal with it th damn venom box is a white elephant.

oh and if the ma voltage exceed 2.8 volts for more than 15 secs the engine will retard timing and add alot of fuel. it seems the honda engineers relaized people would tyr to turbo the engines and programmed in a very sick set of protocals for saving the engines.

so deal

get over it
move on
and buy a damn cam.

Vanilla Sky
08-09-2002, 12:16 AM
i'm sorry, but you know, funstic is right... my parts car had a piggyback, and the engine blew as a result of "bad tuning"(don't ask, this is what i was told...) i have no idea of what kind of piggyback it was, but when i got the car, someone had ripped it out, and took a hatchet to the stock ecu... there was no engine, so i couldn't tell you what really happened...

this is in an 87 lxi...

Derick

BWT, this is prolly worst case scenario...

CrVtecKid
08-09-2002, 12:24 AM
So If your saying the ECU and the venom unit are clashing against the ECU's programming and the venom's adjustments, and if there is like ONE person who got it right then why do people comtinue to buy it and recommend it? And about that piggyback, I don't think thats quite what the 400 unit is, i dunno if it has anything to do with adjustin fuel and air curves that much to do damage to an engine. And by the way my friend who actually gained power on his civic has the b16 in his 5th gen.

Sean
08-09-2002, 08:18 AM
its proboaly faking ou thte o2 sensor and richening it up. thats about it. but like i said if things are off by more than %5 the ecm will start throwing code.

ps odb2 is smarter than obdo.

jteuton
08-09-2002, 09:20 AM
i stand behind funstick 100%. I have tested it on another vehicle (94 dodge dakota) and it blew the big one. I don't want to start a war but you did ask for opinions and things and i'll tell you what i know and you take it for what its worth. I installed a venom400 and it was really easy and straightforward. It only connected in two places....so i thought....this thing only reads two sensors and costs 300 dollars.....i wonder how much profit they are making. It connected to my map sensor to read my vacuum so I would know how much throttle i was applying and it attached to the almight tps sensor. It DOES bump the voltage up on the tps. On my particular model my sensor read .5v at idle and 5v at wot. When I hooked the venom to it the voltage jumped to .9v and the ecu was very pissed about this....I corrected it myself to .7v....apparently this is all the computer will handle before melting down to check engine and closed loop operation. It still wouldn't work right. Computer didn't agree with extra signals coming from venom. But apparently at lower rpms the venom applies .2-1.5v to the tps sensor reading to make the vehicle think your getting on when its not....hence more air and fuel and more power. The venom has no stored performance fuel maps it just uses your stock computers or another chips....hence they say it can be piggybacked with another chip. In tuning an 88 honda accord their are basically main points. 1.Timing....which is self adjustable....2. More air and fuel and the right ratio of the two. I feel the venom would make power in a newer car but the honda still has alot of things controlled mechanically and through vacuum solenoids. I bet your friend in the civic could have tampered with his tps and made it show a higher voltage (don't go too high) and done it for 99cents and he ended up paying for that. It worried me when I only saw 2 connections. And them are for throttle control. You can handle throttle control by just pressing harder on your accelerator pedal. Peace....and oh by the way...I do love the venom injectors though

Skaboy6t9
08-09-2002, 12:31 PM
I respect all your guys' comments on the Venom 400 and it seems like mostly everyone is opposed to it except dark who actually has the unit. If the venom isnt a good investment what is? I know the DC Sports ceramic headers are around 300 on nopi and i dont know how much a custom catback system would be. I also hear everyone talking about the 92-95 civic intake mod which i think is a good idea but what kind of civic intake would u guys recommend? There is also the situation with camshafts along with some other mods. if anyone could recommend a smarter investment than the Venom unit post up i want to hear your ideas. =)

-Cam

smufguy
08-09-2002, 03:18 PM
okay, thats about it. This is getting real funky. this is a damn 3g car as in 86 to 89 honda accord. not a civic with a B16 or anything else that matters. if it works on this particular accord, then stand here, dont prove your point by saying it works on a civic that is a 92 cause it aint a 3g accord. damn man...... every freaking computer is different, know the specs and talk shit.

CrVtecKid
08-09-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by darkhonda89
first of all i love it it make 4 quick power off the line and great for mid range power and after 5000 the cars power is just kicking in well sort of but u know what i mean however it does dump gas rather quick but i dont mind i also didnt like the fact that u have 2 turn the car off 2 turn the 400 on and off but it made all my mods come 2 gether and my car got psycho i like it and am very satisfied withe the product 2thumbs up 4 the VENOM 400..............dark...

Alright anyone else?