PDA

View Full Version : Help!, warped head....

RSXtacy
05-25-2005, 05:12 AM
Anyone know where i can pick up a new head for my 3g? I blew a head gasket and way warped my head so far that the shop is saying cannot machine off. If not then im gonnna part out the car and send it off to a death.

shepherd79
05-25-2005, 05:25 AM
the shop is BS. you can mashine any head.
take to another shop or you can pick one up on ebay.
i think i see them there ones in a while.

AccordEpicenter
05-25-2005, 05:45 AM
itd have to be REALLLY warped. Mine on the other car was warped between the 2-3 cyls and it was .11" warped (HUGE warp) but we machined it and it worked. There is a spec for it but i cant remember what the limit is to shave it

phrenology
05-25-2005, 07:05 AM
Man just go to the junk yard and pull one for less than $50. Then take it to a machine shop and have em' shave and revalve it. Just make sure it seats well and get a good head gasket. I had to take my head back to the machinist the same day because there was like a .005 gouge in the 1st cylinder which they missed.

Whatever you do, WORD TO THE WISE!!! Never leave a head or any other aluminum part with an unfinished surface around amonia or your friggin' cat. The cats in my house pissed all over two freshly machined heads and turned them to swiss cheese about $500 worth of work in the trash! Damn cat. :uh: :toilet:

A20A3inside
05-25-2005, 07:49 AM
yeah man, there is no way they can't machine that head....how long you drive it before you realized the gasket was blown? if not that long, then not too much damage...anyhow...i agree with the junkyard purchase...hook that shit up and machine the junkyard head...you be as good as gold man...good luck with it

possum
05-25-2005, 05:39 PM
I once shaved .040 from a Nissan Sentra head. Heck I had 225psi of compression after that. Had to run Super Unleaded to keep it from pinging.

RSXtacy
05-25-2005, 07:10 PM
I drove the car all winter 120 mi a day for work, it had a coolant leak and the temp sensor never showed hot on the dash. basically i was unawar there was a problem till 30seconds before i had engine fuilds gushing out of the hood and 100% loss of power at 70mph. How often are these parts found on ebay? If anyone has one around let me know! I saw my car tonight and i so want it fixed, i miss it!

Robs89LXi
05-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Had the same thing happen on a 1G accord I had; stupid $10 part cost me $400 for a head job. Are there no junkyards near you?
*side note* I sure wish all members would fill in the "location" on their profile :mad:

b8er
05-26-2005, 09:15 PM
i have an head off of an a20a3 motor, the head is dismanteled but i have all the pieces for each cylinder in there own little baggie if you would like to buy it, i live in British Columbia so i dont know what shipping would be like

HondaBoy
05-26-2005, 09:22 PM
if you do get a head off another car, make sure you remove the bolts in the order they are supposed to. my repair manual tells the order and torque to remove the bolts so not to warp the head when taking it off. phrenology, thats pretty horrible what the cats did. are you serious though? the cats urine ate up the aluminium? again, thats horrible, but at the same time sounds funny as hell. lol.

phrenology
05-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Had the same thing happen on a 1G accord I had; stupid $10 part cost me $400 for a head job. Are there no junkyards near you?
*side note* I sure wish all members would fill in the "location" on their profile :mad:

Yup, $8 thermostat killed my ES motor in my 84 Accord that's on the blocks right now. That overheated engine almost took my life too. Read on it's long! But 100% true story. You eastcoast FL peeps who know the Skyway will enjoy:

My Deadly Accord Tale (http://www.livejournal.com/users/blue_mood_mod/31827.html) :omg:

RSXtacy
06-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Ok so i found a head on ebay for this car for 198, which includes valves and new gasket and shipping and repaid shipment back all re manufactured, im trying to save my G3!!!! I hope my shop will get it on right....

RSXtacy
06-16-2005, 10:37 AM
OK so i have the new head, and my local machine shop said that this head the valve seals are not holding from the factory that remanufactured the head. My question is how much is ok for presure for valve seals? The shop on ebay the sold me the head is saying its fine and my shop is being to nit picky, that 26psi is ok and they will seal more once set in on the car and running. My local shop says this might happen but the ywouldnt send a head out to be installed on a car like this! HELP what now?

88Accord-DX
06-16-2005, 10:56 PM
Valve stem seals just keeps oil from going between the valve & valve guide on top of the head. Who ever re-built the head should have check for tolerances on the valve guides & valves. That is what is important. Oil pressures vary from 40-60 p.s.i. on most engines. If it has 26 p.s.i. on the valve stem, then the valve / or guide is worn, letting pressure past the stem. I don't know what the pressure should be, but that seems a little low. Sometimes valves guide bores need bored out with oversized valves, guides & valve stem seals.
A little smaller valve stem seal would help out on holding more pressure in this situation if you can find them.

RSXtacy
06-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Head is on the car and running! cost me an arm and leg to save a old old car... but i guess its worth....

anyone know now if both fans should come on when engine is hot? still seems like the engine is getting hot and im concearned...... my shop put a new theromostat in the car and last night only 1 fan came on

POS carb
06-22-2005, 01:33 PM
1 fan should be enough to keep the car in check, I've been doing it for years in Miami. If your car can't stay cool flush the shit out of it and replace the water pump and thermostat

Robs89LXi
06-22-2005, 01:50 PM
I believe the larger fan, on the passenger side, is the radiator cooling fan. It should kick on when the engine reaches temperature and the thermostat opens. The other smaller one, located in front of the A/C, is the A/C cooling fan, and it comes on when the A/C is turned on to pull air across the condenser.

c72c
06-22-2005, 03:48 PM
if you do get a head off another car, make sure you remove the bolts in the order they are supposed to. my repair manual tells the order and torque to remove the bolts so not to warp the head when taking it off. .

This is true. It is in your best interest to remove the bolts as told. I just pulled the bolts on my 72 cougar and my heads got warped :sad2: , oh well they needed needed to be machined badly any way :dunno: , but yea, keep that in mind.
~Kris~

c72c
06-22-2005, 04:06 PM
that's a really crazy 'tale'. still no word about what happened at the end of the bridge?

Yup, $8 thermostat killed my ES motor in my 84 Accord that's on the blocks right now. That overheated engine almost took my life too. Read on it's long! But 100% true story. You eastcoast FL peeps who know the Skyway will enjoy:

My Deadly Accord Tale (http://www.livejournal.com/users/blue_mood_mod/31827.html) :omg:

c72c
06-22-2005, 04:18 PM
before m tranny blew, I was messin around in the field behind the police station and I accedentaly jumped a little 'ditch'. Part of the crossmember (or some piece of the frame) had bent back into the bottom of the radiator. I was in desperate need of a radiator cuz I needed the car running to go to work. I got one off a 89 crx. It worked and bolted up fine but the fans shorted out when the fluid went all over. for the next 3 weeks I drove around with the heater on high so It wouldn't overheat. but I couldn't drive on the main streets, too slow, I had to take the bypass every where to keep it cool. I also couldn't sit in a drive thru for more than 5 minutes. but eventually I got the radiator fan working and it was good, I put a bigger one in since then since the ac never worked when I got it, now it stays pretty cool.