PDA

View Full Version : A20A1 to A20A3,found good engine

HondaBoy
05-25-2005, 08:39 AM
its going to be summer so i have some time to do stuff. anyway, i went by the junk yard today and found an accord they just got yesterday. they bought it from a impound yard. it has current tags, i remember it driving around town also recently so i know it ran. its got the FI engine intact. everything looks to work on the car, i put a battery on it. it doesnt have a key so i'm going to have to hot wire it which they said was just fine to do. this engine has a bit over 200000 miles on it. they said i could have it for $400 intact. i think that sounds quite reasonable. it has an automatic tranny so it'll be an easy swap into my car. i wonder if i should just buy the whole car? that might be easier. that would depend on how much they want for it though. i remember memebers here that have done the carb to efi swap, takes about a week of time to get it all done. if this engine does run well i'll probley buy it. i'll have to go buy and engine lift though before i get it. would it be possible to use the carb fuel lines that are metal? anyway, i'll be checking this out some more. here where i live with all this humidity, the carb doesnt do as well as a FI engine would. i do have the money to get the engine right now. i wonder if i would get better gas mileage with the FI engine? right now i'm down to about 20mpg, so i'd hope for a little better. my highway mileage isnt too good either.

HondaBoy
05-25-2005, 03:45 PM
since this afternoon i've thought about what i can do. instead of taking the whole engine that has such high mileage, i might want to consider taking the head and other miscellaneous parts off it that are needed. i have to consider storage of the engine, i really dont have room right now. i can much more easily store the head and other parts in my old jetta's trunk and some in the shed. anyway, that's just a thought i had. my bottom end is good, and i've put new gaskets and crap on what was leaking. i did think to look at the underside of that car at the junkyard for an oil leak, which i did see it has. not like bad, but i could see a drop hanging onto the tranny. i do like my carb somewhat, its really easy to fix things on it, to me anyway. it was easy to rebuild. but it really has limitations i suppose. in this consideration of converting to FI, i'm wondering if there's really that much power difference. 98hp going up to 120hp, just what they are rated at. dont know if i'd feel that difference. i'd hope so. i'm going to look more deeply into what i'm going to need to do. i guess if i have time tomorrow i'm going to go see if that engine starts up. i thought, maybe i should just buy the whole car, but i've replaced a lot of stuff on my car which that car may be in need of. and my car only has 117XXX miles on it, compared to the much higher mileage on the car at the junk yard. any suggestions? i feel like i really want to go for a FI conversion.

i looked at Carotman's page where he had the How to on the EFI conversion. it does look like some work, but nothing i cant handle. i really want to aim for doing this conversion. with the parts list, i guess i can take that to the junk yard and see what they say. considering they said $400 for engine and tranny complete, i'll probley get the head and FI parts for a lot cheaper. i mean what am i going to do with the block on that other car? its got such high mileage i dont see it worth it to get. i'll want to gather all parts before i start, unless i can get the whole car. probley not. its either do this or buy a truck. i found like an '85 chevy, 3 speed auto, 4WD, lifted. just needs a head gasket replaced, they said. but i think i'd rather start fixing up on the 3gee. plus i think that truck needs more work that they said. its old and needs some body work too.