PDA

View Full Version : Headwork help

Elijah
05-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Should I get an angle job done on my valves? I was thinking of a 3 angle but someone told me that it is better to leave the valves how they are when you are doing headwork for a turbo set up?? Does anyone know what is best?

Elijah
05-25-2005, 01:07 PM
bump bump

'A20A3'
05-25-2005, 01:19 PM
I thought a 3 angle valve job only cleans up and resurfaces your valves making them seat better, so I don't see how it could hurt. I've heard they're expensive though...

Elijah
05-25-2005, 01:36 PM
I found a shop that will do it for 460 bucks canadian

Ludi Mali
05-25-2005, 02:00 PM
i think theres a 3 4 and 5 angle job depending on how racey you want it. I just might be an idiot tho.

Elijah
05-25-2005, 06:25 PM
i think theres a 3 4 and 5 angle job depending on how racey you want it. I just might be an idiot tho.

There are many different valve jobs,but things change abit for a turbo car.

Robs89LXi
05-25-2005, 06:35 PM
From what I understand, the more angles, the better. Ultimately, you are trying to achieve a smoothly curved face on the valve and valve seat so that there is the least restriction to air flow past the valve. The more angles there are, the closer it becomes to being a curve (think of a hexagon, then octagon, then decagon etc.; as the number of sides increase, the closer it becomes to a smooth circle). Same with the valve seat/face.
Turbo or not, better flow is what you are always trying to achieve, so a good valve job should benefit you regardless.

300700'88lx-i
05-25-2005, 09:09 PM
I'm pretty sure our heads have a 3 angle job from the factory. If you have a head lying around, check it out, I remember when I had my head apart noticing that it was a 3 angle cut.

Elijah
05-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. My wife had started the thread when I was at school. I already got the head getting done thanks again

AccordEpicenter
05-27-2005, 05:25 AM
i might add that 3 angles is the MINIMUM to do a honda head correctly. If you have the head off etc, a good valve grind never hurt, especially with boost

rjudgey
05-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Not all Honda heads have 3 angle, depends on year, but more importantly is the widths of the seat and the angles cuts, it's better to have a really wide 60 degree cut and a small 20 and 45 degree cut, 45 degree cut is the seat itself smaller the better but you need to consider service life smaller equals more wear, so about 1.5mm is good all round 1mm for the racers out here!! Also what no one has mentioned is radiused valve seats, is basically a 3 angle but the angles are radiused to make them more into a curve this is by far the best and most expenisve as it need s to be done by a very steady hand and is time consuming a basic 3 angle cut will only be about £5 a valve including cutting the valve too. Also going bigger is better too especially with the exhaust vlave as this is quite small in comparison to the two inlet valves.