PDA

View Full Version : Removing city lights in h4 conversions?

frantik
05-26-2005, 02:10 AM
Ok, so i got those diamond cut H4 conversions off of ebay... $25 for the pair with bulbs shipped to my door. :D of course they are the kind with the blue city light thing in them. I figured the lights wouldn't be a problem since i wouldn't bother to connect them, but I've noticed that they still cause the bottom of the headlight casing to have a blue color when the headlights are on. I don't really like it that much and it's probably reducing the overall light output as well as giving johnny law a reason to pull me over

Has anybody removed the city lights completely from their H4 conversions? Before I installed them, I tried removing the bulbs but it didnt seem like they wanted to come out of the rubber gasket they were in. Perhaps the whole thing can be pulled out and some kind of tape or something that could be put over the hole? it's be best if some kind of reflective or white material was placed directly over the hole and then stuck on some how. I imagine the light housing gets pretty hot though, so the adhesive would have to be heat resistant

I was also thinking perhaps just snipping the wires and putting the thing in backwards might do the trick haha

if i could find some clear lens city lights i'd be interested in installing them, but it seems even the white city lights have blue lenses

snow_man_20
05-26-2005, 03:09 AM
humm... mine come out and the blulbs unplug from the rubber plug. are you shure thay don't pop out?

TheWatcher
05-26-2005, 03:24 AM
Just pony up for a pair of silverstars, especially if the cops pull you over for that sort of thing. I've got a pair, it works for me.

Here in the 808, there is a special blue light law, even if the bulb is blue, but the light is white, you still get cited. It is a misdemenor with a penalty of up to $1000 and a year in jail. So people here plead guilty to plead it out.

Needless to say, no HIDs for me.

Peace.

frantik
05-26-2005, 03:41 AM
humm... mine come out and the blulbs unplug from the rubber plug. are you shure thay don't pop out?

i tried to get them free but they seemed like they were attatched pretty well. i'll play with them a bit and see if i can get the bulbs free (seems like it should be replaceable in case it burns out)

Watcher. in my state the only law is the headlight must project a white light, regardless of what color it appears to be. but the problem isn't that the h4 light is blue, it's that the city light in there is turning the light blue. The city light isn't actually on, but the headlight is shining thru it. The blue is only noticable when looking directly at the light or if you look at the light in a car reflection. if you shine the light on a matte surface like a wall you can't see the blue. i I just installed the lights a week or two ago and havent been pulled over but i don't like to give them any excuses.

Busted_Blue
05-26-2005, 07:41 AM
rip it all out with including the rubber. Go to home depot or something similar and bring the h4 housing with you. Find a rubber socket with a hole in it that fits. Get a plastic grommet that is a bit bigger than the rubber and stuff the living crap out of it. That is what I did but I didn't like my H4 housings so I bought Hella housings which were like 5 times as much in cost.

frantik
05-26-2005, 10:36 PM
good call bustedblue.. i got a grommet and a little plastic cap thing to plug up the hole

http://www.swiftlytilting.com/images/accord/headlight.jpg

also, i was able to get the bulb free from the rubber thing it was in. i think before i was just being too timid cause i didnt want to break it, but it just took a slight tug

now i just gotta figure out the best way to keep moisture out of the casing.. :D