PDA

View Full Version : cheap mods.

omni89LX-i
05-26-2005, 06:22 AM
im replaceing my clutch right now and my help is spotty. so while the 3g is up on stands i wanna do something to it. nothing more than 50bucks. im thinking neons...any suggestions?

89accord_lxi_coupe
05-26-2005, 06:30 AM
if you wanna put neons on and wire them up that is your decision. it's hard to find several guys on here that would put them on their car. not a whole lot you'll be able to do for $50. if you like neons and want to go that direction it's for you to decide.

snow_man_20
05-26-2005, 06:41 AM
TEST PIPE! :thumbup:

shepherd79
05-26-2005, 07:15 AM
fuck neons, get CAI or short shifter with poly bushings.

snow_man_20
05-26-2005, 07:17 AM
under $50?

88accordhb
05-26-2005, 07:20 AM
nah man donn't do neons. get CAI if you don't already have it.

1987HondaAccord
05-26-2005, 10:29 PM
hey shep, can you give me a link to where i can get some poly bushings?

Strugglebucket
05-27-2005, 04:00 AM
here's a link to the energy suspension bushing kit. it's listed for civic/crx '84-'87 and integra '90-'98 but it also fits the '86-'89 accord.

$10.99 on summit racing's site. their shipping is usually disturbingly fast.
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=poly+bushings+shift&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp

*edit* link won't work for some reason. just go to summitracing.com and type in ens-16-1101r to the search bar.

MIK3
05-29-2005, 03:48 PM
As a 3gee friend, I suggest not doing neons. No...I'm begging you not to do neons. It really is in your best interest not to. I say since you are already under the car, work on some minor suspension adjustments/upgrades like previously stated. That's what I suggest.

Busted_Blue
05-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Poly bushings are a great change.

If you can find a CAI that would be great. Piping + home depot 2inch couplings shouldn
t cost more than 30bucks. I would suggest getting a K&N cone filter because they actually last forever since you can clean them. Those are usually around 50bucks so I would reccomend the extra cash to spend like 80bucks on a cold air intake.

sporkHSP
05-29-2005, 04:12 PM
I would vote CAI, $80 is not a bad deal for a mod like that. But, and I could be wrong, wouldn't any neon kit worth buying cost more than $50 anyway?

pookypal15
05-29-2005, 06:14 PM
You can make a custom CAI for les than half of $50, I did this right when I first got my Lxi as temporary since i was doing so much work to it and alot of it required having the bumper off. baiscally, if your filter is behind your intake, on the FI model you should know how to take it out (replace the parts but leave no filter)... then remove the bumper - not too hard, just unscrew several screw up top in front of radiator, then kneal below and get I think two bolts (do these first and then the screw up top) there are also like two more screws at the ends of the bumpers connecting to the wheel-well, but mine were broken off already!

When its off you'll see on the left a black box, thats where your stock intake piping routes down to (if you still had all your stock stuff up top). You need to unbolt the box, I think it needs either 12mm or 10, and definantely needs an extender. When thats out, get a saw and cut that bad boy in half, it should be obvious why your doing this, it's going to be the CAI intake, because in its natural form it only had a hole as big around as a pen at the bottom (not good for power, good for quiteness). Now here's the hard part, you need to put a filter on that thing, I just got the smallest square filter I had laying around in my garage and I thought about superglueing, but it happened to fit tightly enough by itself. So the entire mod by itself was free, but changing filters would suck, but it was temporary..

Now if this is interesting to anyone, I've seen similar ideas all over and people have probably already done it, you can easily improve on it by getting rid of the air box all together and just putting a coupler down there and placing a conical filter at the end - if it's K&N - then your final price is $50.. otherwise you can budget as low as $20 for you cheapies!

gfrg88
05-29-2005, 07:35 PM
i got my cai on ebay for the 90-93 integra for $45 shipped and it arrived the next day after i ordered it. oh and dont do neons, but if u like them than do it. its your car do wat u want with it.

halxi
05-29-2005, 07:48 PM
As everyone else has said, go with a CAI.

Ive been gathering all the parts to piece mine together and so far ive put in about $30 (and thats with a can of paint that i decided was the wrong color AFTER i used it... stupid me) and all i have left is finding a cheap source for either an AEM filter, or a K&N filter.

pookypal15
05-29-2005, 07:58 PM
as mentioned belowe, ebay is good - budget tuner's heaven... even for a serious tuner it's a hell of a spot. I was thinkin about bidding on a centrifugal superchager, it was at buy it now for only 75! I decided against it later just because I haven't done enough internal tuning to my engine to handle boost, but my choice for centrifugal over regular turbo is because I don't have power steering or ac so installation would be easy, plus virtually no lag, heat would be alot less than a turbo, and they last longer. The only real trouble is routing the intake to run down to the right... where the pullies be

gfrg88
06-02-2005, 06:52 PM
hmmmm, a supercharger? have searched that on here? i dont anyone has succesfully done that on a 3gee. good luck with that

mouchyn
06-03-2005, 04:45 PM
hmmmm, a supercharger? have searched that on here? i dont anyone has succesfully done that on a 3gee. good luck with that

nobody has tired hard enough. ditch the power steering and weld up some brackets with press-in bearings to run a bar across the front of the engine. it will replace the PS pulley. hang the SC on the other end over clutch cable, route the pipe to the throttle body.

if you have the materials, welding skills, and the SC parts, you could do it easily. since most 3G drivers don't have $1500 lying around to do it right, they don't. It's easier to turbo and turbo makes more power.

as for cheap mods, the suspension bushings are a great idea. you can get them from autozone, too. they usually have them in stock. I paid $15 for a full set.

i'm surprised nobody has mentioned normal maintenance with that $50.

when was the last time you did a tune up?
how do your ball joints and tie-rod ends look?
how about your brakes?

AccordEpicenter
06-03-2005, 05:32 PM
I agree that the turbo is easier and more cost effective. I dont think using the ps belt for a supercharger would work all too well... have you seen the size of the belts that they use for superchargers? like Vortech, KenneBell? They are at least an inch wide and somtimes they still have problems with slippage

halxi
06-03-2005, 06:13 PM
mouchyn, i think most of us posted assuming he had already done basic maintence lol.

mouchyn
06-03-2005, 06:59 PM
well, i assumed that if he had to ask about what "cheap mods" to do, that maybe he might have overlooked the finer maintenance points like ball joints, brakes, etc.

Vanilla Sky
06-03-2005, 07:50 PM
better brake pads and maybe new brake rotors, poly sway bar bushings (gonna have to match these up at the parts store), new motor mounts, possibly new struts... the only thing under $50 for the whole setup would be the sway bar bushings, but the rest (still inexpensive) are good to have done...

halxi
06-03-2005, 08:41 PM
well, i assumed that if he had to ask about what "cheap mods" to do, that maybe he might have overlooked the finer maintenance points like ball joints, brakes, etc.

Yea thats true, it wouldnt hurt to put new rotors and such on... if they werent so damn exspensive.