PDA

View Full Version : loud clicking sound at abut 1000-5000 rpm

steve-024
05-26-2005, 09:22 AM
i think my valves need to be adjusted , the hight of the rockers , i believe they are clicking on the valve cover , when i hit about 3000 rpm when the engine is warm it doesnt make the sound but when its cold and idling high it with hti the top of the valve cover , and it gets worse all the time

smufguy
05-26-2005, 09:33 AM
if the valves are ticking, then they are not ticking because they are hitting the valve cover. Its because there is too much gap bwt the valve stem and the rocker. a $3 valve guide from autozone, a box wrench, and an allen key along with your shop manual, u will be done in a matter of minutes.

HondaBoy
05-26-2005, 09:34 AM
uh, i dont think they are close enough that they would ever hit the valve cover. if indeed your valve are needing some adjustment, your hearing the metal tapping from the end of the rocker and part of the valve that is pushed by the rocker. just dont adjust them yourself if you dont know exactly what your doing because you can do a lot of damage and have a crappy running car after that. i need to adjust mine too.

A20A1
05-26-2005, 12:10 PM
It also could be the air suction valve turning off. the AS Valve operates below 3000 rpm and is located right behind the valve cover.