PDA

View Full Version : Weber or FI swap?

HondaBoy
05-26-2005, 08:25 PM
ok, since i've found a complete engine with everything on it, i've been trying to decide wheather or not to do the swap to FI. i really dont mind doing all the work to get it done. but i still have the option to get the 32/36 weber. as you can see thats a hard decision. the FI swap will actually be cheaper to do as i have the hook up at the junk yard. but, the weber is sooooooo much less work to do. hell all i have to do is pretty much bolt the thing up, still a little more than that yeah. also, power increases, i dont know which will bump my power up more, the Weber or FI. the FI is from an '88 if that helps. but i just cant decide. its just bugging me is all. either way i'm going to do an upgrade. so help me out i guess and say what you think.

if you didnt know the car the FI would be put into is an '87, dont know if this conflicts with swapping '88 parts into it like all of the wiring.
also, i plan to stay N/A, not wanting to be turboed.

FyreDaug
05-26-2005, 08:43 PM
Well its always best to go the cheaper route and do the work, FI will open up more options for you if you change your mind in the future. FI is quite a bit of work to do, wiring in the computer and everything will take some time, along with changing the pieces on the engine itself.

However, the weber seems to be a decent carb, I dont have one myself as I will be getting one from a chevy 350, and charging it. :D but you will probably see more of a low end increase with FI and all around. The weber wont do too much just by itself, but itll help. For money:power ratio FI is your best bet if you wanna do the work.

HondaBoy
05-26-2005, 08:51 PM
i do know what all i have to do. it sounds like a lot. i had my grandma read what i had to do and she about shit. lol. i've taken the interior of my car out a few times so i'm familiar with the wires and crap more or less.

shepherd79
05-27-2005, 04:14 AM
since you have 76-87 version of Accord, you need to make sure that all the electrical comes from 86-87 accord. the motor, it doesn't matter what year.

Ludi Mali
05-27-2005, 07:59 AM
i'd say it depends on if you have to do e-check or not. From what i've read on the board I think its near impossible to pass with a weber especially if you go with a 38/38, The 32/36 you're asking about MIGHT be doable.

HondaBoy
05-27-2005, 09:55 AM
when you say make sure all the electrical comes from the 86-87, why is that. i was going to take the wiring harnesses from the fenders and engine bay, along with the ones behind the dash. plus put on the stuff from the other car, alternator, distributor and fuel system. does that mean i cant use the stuff from the '88? i know there's differences, but i dont know what they are. i'd think as long as i take all the stuff from the donor car then it'd be ok.

rjudgey
05-30-2005, 03:42 PM
Well Carbs are best for huge power increases with minimal fuss and cost, ultimately FI is best for that last couple of bhp and flexibility as well as fuel comsumption but a pair of Webers is hard to beat for cruising miles i get 400miles to a tank, but i would maybe look at racing bike carbs or Honda Fireblade carbs they are huge and pretty cheap a lot cheaper than webers are and more of them floating about as well!!
Mikuni and RS have really nice race carbs upto 48mm bore size too!!

shepherd79
05-30-2005, 04:28 PM
when you say make sure all the electrical comes from the 86-87, why is that. i was going to take the wiring harnesses from the fenders and engine bay, along with the ones behind the dash. plus put on the stuff from the other car, alternator, distributor and fuel system. does that mean i cant use the stuff from the '88? i know there's differences, but i dont know what they are. i'd think as long as i take all the stuff from the donor car then it'd be ok.

the reason i am saying is that 86-87 and 88-89 had a slightly diff electrical connections.
i am not sure how much, but there is a diff.
you can use the harness, and all but you will have to splice it to the rear part of the car unless it will plug in without any problems.
you can try, and tell us how hard it is.

HondaBoy
05-30-2005, 08:22 PM
heh, so its basicly a try it and learn project? that actually may be alright though. i'm fairly good at doing electrical shit. dunno why. anyway, i'm still thinking about it. shoot, i need more feedback than this. atleast votes in the poll if your not gonna post. anyway, i have time to think about it. i was going to go today and check out the donor car, but i said screw that because it rained like hell the other night. so it'd be muddy over there pretty bad.

myaccord7
05-31-2005, 09:25 AM
weber dcoe

88accordhb
05-31-2005, 10:06 AM
more possibility with efi, unless you wanna see how car you can get a N/A carbed a20, go for it. but efi is just more fun.

FyreDaug
06-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Well its not always more fun, when you run a 500cfm carb with nitrous, thats fun.

POS carb
06-01-2005, 04:54 PM
the weber is a straight bolton affair like you said, it also clars up a bunch of room in the engine... I'd recommend the 38/38... I have the 32/36 and it is just barely larger than the stock size
the EFI is cool but I would wait until I had a programmable/hackable ECU, not POS honda OBD negative 1

HondaBoy
06-01-2005, 08:13 PM
is the 38/38 a down draft? i thought that was the side draft. if its a down draft i'll check it out. damt it, it rained again today! so i dont know when i'll be able to check out that engine on the car at the junk yard. since doing my vacuum line removal, i've had to deal with low end bog. mainly right below 3000 rpms if i stomp it all the way. i flipped the air cleaner lid and giving it more air seems to help. not any noticeable bog. and with the heavy ass 17's i have on right now, i've gotten it to break em loose pretty good. also i have the secodary manual now. anyway, yeah a nice easily tuneable computer would be nice. most you can really do with the 3gee's PGM system is fool it into running it a bit rich. i have the money for a new carb though. i'm thinking if i dont do any fuel system upgrades i might as well get the header sooner. unfortunately nobody seems to know where to look when i've asked shops to look into ordering a weber carb kit for my car. i'll have to ask this guy with the 240/fairlady. he's got 3 weber side drafts. he's got the 280 engine.

A20A1
06-01-2005, 10:46 PM
nope down draft

HondaBoy
06-03-2005, 05:12 PM
well i went by the junk yard today to look for a coil for my moms neon, didnt find that. all the engines have been pulled. anyway, i also found that my engine and tranny had been sold! well it wasnt really mine, but still! anyway, i asked them to look for some more 3gees because i do want a good tranny. i didnt even bother to look and see if they got all the good shit. i may look at getting the fuel tank, extra fuel line, wiring and some other stuff. so the 38/38 is a down draft eh? well i'll go ask this dude if he can pull me a good deal on one. i would still need the adapter kit with all the linkage stuff and gaskets. oh, on the FI engines A20s, is the cam better from the FI than a carb head? the guy at the junkyard said he might have a 2.0 sohc head somewhere in the storage things. i heard to get a carb head and use an FI cam when doing the upgrades. anyways, i'm still trying to decide what's best for me for fuel induction. i really dont think i will do the turbo thing on this engine. if i'm going to spend money on a turbo i will just spend the extra money and build up and engine for a swap. 1.8 or 2.0 is what i'm thinking if i wanna do major things. i dont even think i'll do a turbo on my jetta. i think a VR6 is all i'm going to do there.

Civvy
06-04-2005, 06:13 PM
I was in your shoes last year ...oh what a headache!!
I wanted twin Weber 45's!!
I went for the F.I. swap. got a donor car and swapped the lot!!! my car hasnt got an original wire on it! its all swappable with ease too....just time consuming.
I flipped the carb box lid and did the mech secondary mod ...cool but, i'm still thinking wow to the difference i've got now.
I feel like i'm uptodate now with engine design aswell cant beat the sound of the f.i. pump and the injectors arming,,pgmfi light extinguishes and half a turn of the engine and she's running smooth as a new car.
A lot of people dont understand what we can do with F.I. its not all only so we can run boost.
keeping it more simple, we adjust our idle mixture in a black box that says Honda on it, we change our small jets by adjusing the adjustable fuel pressure regulator...and dont even have to remove the airfilter! We change our airjets by adding a larger t.b. and We still make C.A.I's for them. In some respects you can see how its even easier to play with than an old carburettor!
And ive got no mixture screw to keep falling out.
F.I. in my opinion but i do want to run boost because its so cheap and easy!!
P.s. I ran a flat 15 with only a C.A.I. mod. on my F.I. engine.
i ran over 17's with carbs!

HondaBoy
06-06-2005, 09:58 AM
i dunno. on any 3gee i've drove with FI and an automatic, i havent felt as much power as my carbed engine has. i say this being as i've drove 4 other 3gees. as of now, my car runs faster than my friends '91 accord. now since they've sold the engine i was going to use, i dont know how long it'll take to get a complete engine with FI. what i've found is that they are hard to find in running order. the ones i've found always have something wrong with them.

Civvy
06-07-2005, 02:00 AM
I'm not trying to sell you F.I, but i ran the B20 with the A20 carb for 6months and it was faster than F.I. untill 120mph, it got tired.
Another thing, once you install any carb(s) what then???
with F.I. its upgrade,upgrade,upgrade.
Hondas like tuning and balance, everthing else is just a bolt on!