PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate different color

pookypal15
05-29-2005, 05:42 PM
Hi everyone, I'm the new guy, so before I get to what it is...

1989 Honda Accord Lxi 5spd... I went to cardomain and saw someone's pimped out accord that linked to this forum, so a week later I went out and bought an accord! It's got over 230,000 on the body which made it a cheap buy but i didn't hesitate cuz the A20A4 was completely rebuilt, and to add to that the first thing I did was take it all apart and give it more life. The only real problems are AC, old suspension, and transmission - all things I'm finding easily here... so that's my intro

now my car is a deep red, like a maroon, but I didn't wanna bother with matching colors. The hood, roof and trunk are all faded and I did my best to get to the next good layers by thinning the paint since i was gonna paint over it anyway. I WANTED TO FIND OUT WHICH PAINT RECOMMEND/HOW if i can just applicate over the original if I'm using black and not using a duplication. And yes I'm making two-tone.

Thanks for reading, sorry for the long posrt and I hope it's in the right section

w00tw00t111
05-29-2005, 05:51 PM
If you are wanting stock colors but, high quality paint try going to an autmotive paint supply store and ask about PPG paint. That would be your best bet IMO.
You always hear about House of Kolor but, believe me unless you are going to be showing your car don't waste your money. Their paint is extremely nice but, way way overpriced! It is also hard to apply IMO. Just my .02 cents

pookypal15
05-29-2005, 06:31 PM
Quick replies, wow! Thanx for the response, unfortunately I forgot to mention that I stripped my hood today and on the very lip its down to the metal - I didn't assume that the stripper was that strong and my hood was that weak! But I was avoiding putting that metal putty stuff on, I don't have time and I'm impatient in that area, is rust protection and sprayable primer and then the finish good enough - I mean it's not a show car, it just needs to look complete that's all.

w00tw00t111
05-29-2005, 06:46 PM
What I would do is get a automotive primer. (if you have a spray gun) And spray that then sand it down. Then when you paint the car just make sure you use a sealer. Shouldn't have a problem. Also the color that you are wanting is a factor in pricing. Like I'm wanting to get a candy paint job. Candy paint along with metal flake is expensive but, even more so then that it is extremely difficult to apply and I don't trust my paint skills enough to do it myself so labor would go way up. Where as just a basic color wouldn't be too difficult. Pearl would increase the difficulty a little bit and so on and so forth. Also, are you wanting a 1step paint job or 2 step. Meaning 1 step the paint and the clear are one and 2 step means the paint and clear coat are two seperate steps to spray. my personal favorite is 2 step but, then again that's more work and takes more time, patience, and skill. Hope that helps.

pookypal15
05-29-2005, 07:09 PM
I like to get things done, but done well, so since I'm gonna do it fast, I'd do it the best way possible, and I doubt that would the one step. Plus I just wouldn't trust a paint that has a sealer already in it, if there are, usually package $hit just gives you less. So I'm assuming after the final layer of top paint dries, you spray the sealer the same manner as you did the paint? And is sealer the same as clear coat, if it is, could I spray the rest of the car to protect it (after cleaning it ofcourse, and I'd probably thin out the old surface a tiny bit to get the old stuff off.. I thinkin clear coating the old surface will give me a new shine, right??

w00tw00t111
05-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Yeah you could use the clear coat/sealer over the whole car. Just remember that whatever is on the car when you spray that clear over it it's gonna be there forever. Well until you repaint it :). I would say spray one coat clear sand real lightly with 600 grit then use rubbing compoun to get off the scratches then spray another coat of clear. Then wet sand down with 1000 or 800. Then buff those scratches down. Then spray another coat of clear and wet sand with 1200. Then use an even finer rubbing compound. Then spray another coat and wet sand with 2000 grit then use the finest rubbing compound you can find. Then use a real fine buffing compound.

A 1step finish usually isn't to bad. It's just not as good as a 2 step. But think of it like this. Everything that I just listed up above you are going to have to do twice. Once for the paint and once for the clear. Also remember how many times you are going to have to wet sand the primer and respray.

pookypal15
05-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Bad@$$, thanks so much! I'm pretty glad I joined the forum!

w00tw00t111
05-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Bad@$$, thanks so much! I'm pretty glad I joined the forum!
No problemo Hope it helped.