PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Shift Light

w00tw00t111
05-29-2005, 11:32 PM
Pretty much like the title says. Has anyone made their own shift light? I don't really nead a huge tach and I don't want to have to pay a butt load for an auto meter light. Is there a way to make it yourself? Thanks you guys!

2drSE-i
05-30-2005, 08:37 AM
of course there is! but it would be impractical to make your own....ud have to put a switch in your gauge to turn on the light and back off when it hit a certain RPM....as i said impractical

jigga89SEi
05-30-2005, 08:43 AM
Acctually I'm workin on this myself... And the switch to turn it on and off is not that big of a deal... I haven't figured out what light I want to us yet... But I want a very bright and small LED that I'm goin to put in the guage cluster and replace the seat belt light...

I haven't put this idea into works yet but when i figure it out i'll let u know....

2drSE-i
05-30-2005, 08:47 AM
problem is i cudnt figure out a single switch that i've ever seen that would operate this.....maybe a very light toggle switch.....one light enough for the tac needle to pass over, but still turn on and off
:confused:

smufguy
05-30-2005, 09:04 AM
you guys are better off looking into how the "shift assit" light works on the Subaru STI. its a small red led imbedded in the tach face and it also chimes/beeps when u hit the rpm. There is a small adjustable knob that u can set the limit for, my friend has his set for 4K rpm even tho it redlines at 7K. So if you guys can get hold of the schmeatics of the electrical system for the STI, it would be the best place to start.

different RPMS put out different voltage, even tho its not recordable on the low res multimeter we get off the stores. Think about the G-tech Pro, it asks u to calibrate it using 5K and 3K and it is accurate. So best thing to do is to use a basic circuit and program ur own using a labview (engineering software) or anyother Eprom. That would be the most practical way since reproduction would be easy.

halxi
05-30-2005, 04:22 PM
you guys are better off looking into how the "shift assit" light works on the Subaru STI.

or any jeep from 87-95ish for that matter
they all have "shift assist" lights and no tachs, for the most part.

shepherd79
05-30-2005, 04:51 PM
what happen to connecting to coil?
how do you think shift light works on it is own?
Autometer sells just shift light that you connect to coil.

w00tw00t111
05-30-2005, 05:34 PM
what happen to connecting to coil?
how do you think shift light works on it is own?
Autometer sells just shift light that you connect to coil.
I thought that they did. That's what I was wanting to duplicate.

HondaBoy
05-30-2005, 08:16 PM
our old porsche 944 turbo had a little shift light. i think it was also for finding the right place to shift even when not getting on it, maybe for gas mileage purposes? like it would come one at a lower rpm i think, depending on where the accelerator pedal was. i think that was how it was. i dunno. seems like that would be a nice idea to make the shift light in one of the open spots where warning lights could go. i was going to use one of the free ones for putting an LED for when the driving lights are on.

POS carb
06-01-2005, 02:15 PM
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&Ntt=shift+light&N=0&part=PRO%2D67005C&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch