PDA

View Full Version : New member, where to start?

580z
05-30-2005, 12:51 AM
Well, I recently aquired an 87 accord dx (auto), and its got some problems.
The car will start, dies instantly if the pedal isn't mashed repeatedly. And to make matters worse, it doesn't rev smoothly until above 4000rpms. It is boggey, and sounds like its choking for air/fuel. Also the oil light is on, and starts to flash after a little while.

Basically, I'm just looking for input, and a good starting place. If I could get the thing to idle, then I could probably knock the rest out no problem.

I have searched for hours, but to no avail. I really hate to make my first post like this, but everything I know stems from the car being able to idle.

Any ideas?

MattsAccord
05-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Well first of all I would give it an oil change that always helps out a little bit. Second, I would get some carb cleaner and clean out the carb and see if that helps any. If not check you wires, plugs, fuel filters etc. Good luck. Welcome to the board.

88accordalltheway
05-30-2005, 12:29 PM
yea, do a full tune up, and if you have any questions, just search before you post so you dont get people mad at you. Wecome to the board, BTW, where are you located?

shepherd79
05-30-2005, 02:09 PM
1. check the oil level. if the oil level is fine and you still getting the oil light, you may want to flush the oil system. i am not a big fan of theoil system cleaners but they do help sometimes.
2. remove the air cleaner box and open the choke. look inside the carb and make sure the venturies are nice and tight. you should be able to touch them with your fingers. if they are loose, tighten them.
3. like guys said, do general tune up. it always keeps the car in top notch condition.

BlueBead
05-30-2005, 06:03 PM
tune up and check your Cat.. if its plugged it'll run like a bag of shite
good luck and welcome!