PDA

View Full Version : how to fix a squeaky clutch pedal?

frantik
05-30-2005, 03:03 AM
I did a search and found a few people mentioning they had squeaky clutch pedals, but nobody said anything about fixing them. Is there an easy way to do it? I tried spraying some wd-40 but I can't even really tell where the squeak is coming from so i don't think i sprayed the right area

frantik
06-02-2005, 08:49 PM
anybody? bueller?

it seems like it happens a lot more when it's cold... it also seems like it's coming from the spring that pushes the clutch back.. anybody think if i just replace the spring it'll stop sqeaking or do i need to pull the entire pedal and lubricate it?

BITESIZE
06-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Dude, it's not that big of a deal, turn your stereo up.

frantik
06-02-2005, 09:38 PM
lol.. that's been my solution so far but it's really loud sometimes. plus i drive almost exclusively on city streets so i'm always changing gears

spades27
06-03-2005, 07:04 AM
mine does the same thing rest your foot on the clutch thats what i do lol seems to work

TTSpider
06-03-2005, 10:03 AM
mine squeeks also, Ive soaked just about every spot I could find with WD-40 and it still does it. I just ignore it now.

spades27
06-03-2005, 12:39 PM
its comming from the spring i think???

frantik
06-03-2005, 03:21 PM
its comming from the spring i think???

yeah i think you're right. im gonna see if i can replace it cause that squeak bugs !

mouchyn
06-03-2005, 04:25 PM
by the way, WD-40 is not a permanent lubricant. it dries. WD-40 is a "cleaning lubricant." it is meant to free up frozen or rusted joints and metal parts. once the sieze has been broken, you're supposed to use a "real" lubricant to keep it from happening again.

you need to use graphite or lithium grease to lubricate those parts under there. fixing that noisy pedal was the FIRST thing i did to my LX-i sedan when i bought it. Like, on the way home from picking it up, i stopped at the parts store, got a can of spray lithium grease and fixed it in the parking lot. 5 years later, it's still whisper quiet

mouchyn
06-03-2005, 04:29 PM
oh yeah...

you can't just spray it up there and expect the sound to go away. the coils on those springs are damn tight. I used a flat head screw driver to kinda pry the coils apart while i sprayed the lithium over them. It might take one or two applications to get to all the squeaks, but you'll get it.

that white lithium grease is what honda uses from the factory, FYI. it's what is on all the electrical connectors, door hinges, door handles, etc. cool stuff. waterproof, non-conductive (which means it will resist corrosion and oxidation/reduction), odorless, and it washes out of cloth.

TTSpider
06-03-2005, 04:41 PM
dang, I never realized that. Thanks for the tip, i'm gunna go see if i can fix the squeek now :)

frantik
06-03-2005, 07:45 PM
awesome.. thanks for the tip mouchyn :D glad to see i'm not the only one who can't stand it hehe

frantik
06-05-2005, 05:59 PM
sweet thanks mouchyn i finally took care of that damn squeak. the clutch depresses a lot smoother now too.. like BUTTA! haha anyways yeah thanks again :D

spades27
06-05-2005, 10:40 PM
ok now im going to try that lol dam squeek thx dude

mouchyn
06-05-2005, 10:48 PM
*bows*

you're welcome, gentlemen. glad i could help.

frantik
06-25-2005, 11:56 AM
unfortunately it seems like the grease was only a temporary fix.. now the squeak is back and it's even louder and it doesnt seem like the lube helps much even when reapplied. next time i go to the hardware store im gonna look for a lube that specifically lists springs as one of the uses. maybe teflon grease or just all purpose grease would work. i dunno but something has to cause it really bugs after a while