PDA

View Full Version : does auto-up exist in euro models?

POS carb
05-31-2005, 10:43 AM
Hello
After rigging all my windows for the auto down feature I noticed that the car is pre-wired for an auto-up feature in the driver's door but the controllers are missing the circuitry for it inside (the wire connects to nothing)
Did auto-up come in the euro models? I want to add this but without making a major rig of relays ( i think I would need 8 at least)

nutmeg_runner
05-31-2005, 04:43 PM
While I cannot answer your question I do want to question why? Auto up would be a hazard. Many safety experts are making a big deal of toggle power window switches being inadvertantly activated with a body part out the window.

TheWatcher
05-31-2005, 05:49 PM
nutmegg,

Good point about power windows safety, but I think POS carb is looking for something to automatically roll up the windows after the car is parked.

You can get this type of feature installed as part of you aftermarket alarm system. I honestly don't see the point, since I never leave my windows open (I tend to use the air conditioner w/ the windows closed most of the time), but maybe POS carb leaves his windows down.

Peace.

POS carb
06-01-2005, 11:31 AM
...cuz my friend has a Volvo S60 with auto up and down and I liked it. I don't have any kids to choke with my windows.
I was reading over the shop manual on Paul's website but it is a foreign shop manual with info on a lot of different things we don't have here (headlight wipers, heat warmers, ALB a.k.a. ABS, etc) and it shows an auto up on the driver's switch and the contoller has the wires... and I like messing with the car's stock features.

PhydeauX
06-01-2005, 01:29 PM
I have auto up on my jetta, all 4 windows (factory feature, windows can also be opened and closed via the drivers door key, nice :)). When they sense an obstruction they automaticly lower to half open incase any children, pets, etc might have stuck something in there. I'd assume something similar would have become a requirement for auto up windows in any country that regulates the safety of its automobiles. But my car is atleast 10 years the newer and sometimes it takes a few toddlers to lose an arm to a power window before something like that gets implimented.

andy

snoopyloopy
06-01-2005, 10:02 PM
how did you get the auto down feature on all the windows? because i was just wondering today how i would bring that about.

POS carb
06-02-2005, 04:35 PM
you need 1 control box and 1 driver motor per window and you have to re-route the ground for the passenger doors, you can ground it right to the door.
I'll put up a how to as soon as I get my act together and take some pics...
on my first try I ended up with an auto up window and no auto down, I just reversed the wires and presto.

nutmeg_runner
06-02-2005, 05:27 PM
I am curious. How does the auto down control box work? I had assumed that once the window was fully open the motor would draw more current to try to overcome the increased resistance of moving the window further and trip a relay inside the control box. I believe that is how garage door openers work if an object is obstructing its path.

snoopyloopy
06-02-2005, 05:47 PM
but you can have auto-down for all four windows from the driver control panel?

BlueBead
06-02-2005, 07:13 PM
Get that how-to Up!!!
This has been floating around in the back of my head for awhile and needs to come out!

POS carb
06-03-2005, 03:29 PM
the auto down controller uses a pulse signal from the motor, this is why you need driver side motors. All the control box does is activate the motor and keep it running as long as it recieves pulses. Once the pulses stop for a sec or two the controller shuts off the motor. The driver side motors have 4 connectors... motor + and -, pulse + and -
Regular motors won't work because without the pulse the control box will think the window is down.
:Owned2:

nutmeg_runner
06-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Eric. Would you know if the driver's motor would work without the control box? I would be willing to lose the auto down feature to at least be able to open the window if the control box fails.