PDA

View Full Version : electrical - dome light, trunk, driver side lights don't work

POS carb
05-31-2005, 10:51 AM
a problem that has been bugging me for a bit is the fact that the dome, trunk, and both driver side doors get no power on most days. The other two work fine. The dome loses ground sometimes too. The gauge display knows when each door is open/closed (i.e. it works fine) The fuse under the hood is fine
I want to know where this white/blue wire runs through the interior b/c I believe it is broken, also I would like to re-run it for some additional lights

EricW
05-31-2005, 08:25 PM
I have the same problem, only my passenger side rear courtesy light also doesn't work. My problem started after I did my efi swap. I traced the white/blue wire in my carb harness and it runs from all the doors and up under the dash to two places one is the large connecter on the upper right side of the drivers side dash ( where all the dash harnesses concect to the body harness) and to another small conecter (two wires white/blue and black/white) under the drivers side of the dash which i am not sure where it connects but i will check tomorrow if it is not raining. Good luck Maybe if you find your problem it will help me or if i find mine first it will help you.

EricW
07-05-2005, 01:36 PM
I think I found my problem today, honda uses crimps where they join all there wires to spilt them off into mor than one and a few of the ones in the harness from my efi donor car ( which is now in my car) are corroded and when i was tracing the wires and slightly pulled on the white/blue it pulled out of the harness. Then i found another wire that was crimped and pulled on it it came out of the harness. I guess i get to go have fun checking all my connections and then fix all the bad ones. Don't know if this will help you but its worth a shot.

When i fixed the white/blue wire everything worked so now i actually have light. :cool: :rockon: :)

lostforawhile
07-05-2005, 07:47 PM
there is some wierd wiring with the dome light that need to be explained all of the wires for the door switches each run to the safety indicator first. the dome light ground wire is switched electronically by the safety indicator circuit. except for the trunk light. if the switch that is built into the trunk latch breaks you have no trunk light. the hatch is wierd that it has a switch because the switch is wired through the latch switch. you can't turn on that light unless the hatch is open so why the switch? oh the trunk light is wired to the cigarette lighter circuit fuse along with the interior light fuse. if you add too many extra lights you can fry the safety indicator and lose all your interior lights. if you want to add more use the ground going to the dome light and use it to switch a relay. that prevents any extra load on the indicator circuit. i thought i had fried the indicator but when i took the extra load off of it it started working again. all my extra interior lights are now grounded by a relay over the headliner. oh the black/white wire is ground going to the dome light. if you want to hook up the relay here's how. if you use the wires from the dome light you only have to run one wire from the roof. on the relay one wire from the coil goes to the dome light constant hot, the other goes to the dome light black and white wire. before you go any farther make sure when you open the door the relay clicks. now one wire from the relay switched terminals goes to a good ground and the other goes to wherever you need to run it for your extra lights. when the door is opened the relay will now provide a ground path for your extra lights. of course your extra lights will now need a constant hot to each light and the switched ground from the relay. this will isolate the electronics in the indicator unit from the extra lights.

EricW
07-05-2005, 08:35 PM
oh the blue/white wire is ground going to the dome light.

There is no blue/white going to the dome light. The white/blue is the hot wire and the black/white is the ground on the dome light. If you look inside the dome light there is a white/blue that runs from the switch to the other side of the bulb for a ground but it is not the same white/blue as the one that runs to all the doors, the dome light and, that also connects to the engine fuse box.

lostforawhile
07-05-2005, 09:56 PM
black white my bad ill fix the post as long as that relay is hooked to the two wires going to the dome light it will work. i've got extra lights in my rear quarters in my rear view mirror in my doors under the dash etc. now you see why i had to hook up a relay. i thought the diagram said bu instead of bl. I should know every wire in this car by now but occasionally i open mouth insert foot.

lostforawhile
07-05-2005, 10:07 PM
I have the same problem, only my passenger side rear courtesy light also doesn't work. My problem started after I did my efi swap. I traced the white/blue wire in my carb harness and it runs from all the doors and up under the dash to two places one is the large connecter on the upper right side of the drivers side dash ( where all the dash harnesses concect to the body harness) and to another small conecter (two wires white/blue and black/white) under the drivers side of the dash which i am not sure where it connects but i will check tomorrow if it is not raining. Good luck Maybe if you find your problem it will help me or if i find mine first it will help you.
all of those door switch wires terminate at the safety indicator in the dash also the ground wire from the dome light. i wonder if the efi indicator and the carb indicator are different. you could try swapping in the indicator module from the efi car and see if it works.

EricW
07-06-2005, 02:09 PM
I already fixed my lights. It was the crimp in the drivers side foot well where the white/blue turnes into three white/blue wires. It was corroded enought that when i was swaping the harness from my donor car to mine that it must have separated and thus I had no dome light or courtesy lights, on all but the front passanger side door.