PDA

View Full Version : Taking apart an Alternator....

NightWolf0829
05-31-2005, 08:07 PM
:idea: Excatly as it sounds, i was thinking if i could save money by taking my dead alt. (It may not even be that) apart. My alt is siezed, so i am told, we shall find out tommorow... IF the alt is siezed is it totally dead, or could i replace a bearing or something else and perhaps get it fixed for cheap vs. 500?? Bear with me, im new to the car scene,(been in small engines for years)... :stupid:

Any help is appreciated...

-JDubb

cubert
05-31-2005, 08:20 PM
where are you getting your 500 dollar price from? A new alternator shouldnt be any more than 100....and you can save alot of money by doing it yourself...but i wouldnt think itd cost 500 at a shop? or am i that out of the loop?

88eyeguy
05-31-2005, 08:29 PM
a new alt is about 120 if you buy ACDelco. to be honest, i've never heard the term "seized" in reference to an alternator (and i'm ASE cert. in electrical:P) you can't really rebuild it, so don't bother. if you want a cheap fix, just by a 60 dollar remanufactued one. that is, if you're not running a big audio setup:).

cubert
05-31-2005, 08:32 PM
i know what he means by seized...it refuses to spin anymore....and damn does that make a loud squeal :lol:

Just go with a new alternator...

88Accord-DX
05-31-2005, 11:37 PM
A bad alternator rotor can have a bent shaft, scored slip rings, open windings, or shorted windings. Visually inspect the rotor closely.

rotor windings short-to-ground test measures resistance between the rotor shaft and the windings. The ohmmeter should read infinite resistance to show no short to ground.

rotor winding open circuit test measures the resistance between the two slip rings. Meter should read low resistance (2-4 ohms). This would indicate the windings are not broken.

rotor current test checks the windings for internal shorts.

Diode Service uses an ohmmeter to test the diodes. A bad diode will have a high resistance on both directions. A shorted diode will have a low (zero) resistance in both directions.

Worn alternator bearings and dry alternator bearings produce a rumbling or grinding noise during operation.

Worn brushes can affect the output voltage and current of the alternaor.

Sounds like you need new bearings and new diodes.. Check everything else out too.

The most important thing to remember if you take the alternator apart is keep the parts in order when you take it apart and know where everything goes. Order is top priority here. I wouldn't mess with it if your not sure what your doing. You can end up having a mess with a jacked up core that the auto-parts store won't mess with. Get a remanufactured one with a warranty.

NightWolf0829
06-02-2005, 02:35 PM
"it refuses to spin anymore....and damn does that make a loud squeal"-xl cubert lx

-Excatly! Such horrid noise from a honda.... As far as the price goes, thats the most i've found online.... I thought it seemed too much for me... I'de like to go rebuilt, only I dont want it to crap out on me again. What brand's are there for aftermarket? I'll go out tommorow and go ask about rebuilt warranted alt's at auto zone and anywhere else I can think of...

Thanks
-JDubb