PDA

View Full Version : URGENT!! car dies out

bigal004321
06-02-2005, 05:34 AM
So i think my ECU is going bad or is bad. I was on my way to work today and all of a sudden it was like i had no gas, i would floor the gas pedal and it wouldnt do anything.. so i had to pull over and i let it idle for a second and it was stuttering bad like shaking then the oil and battery light came on... so i turn it off then its fine just like normal... so i would go down the road for a little ways and it would do it again... sometimes i could switch down a gear and i would have power again... this is the second day i have had it on the road and yesterday it did the same thing but the pgm light came on... it only started happening after around 15 mins into the trip... temp gauge shows normal temp.. could my problem be a egr valve

i dont ever lose electric my radio and clock and stuff stay on so i know its not the battery.. cuz its brand new... im going to replace sparks cap and wires tonight and the fuel filter where is that located on a lxi??

i have a 87 lxi 200k miles.... recently given to me by relative and said that he use to get this and he just changed the ecu and it was fine....

syclinsam
06-02-2005, 05:40 AM
is the ecu throwing any codes?

snow_man_20
06-02-2005, 05:48 AM
fuel filter is on the right side of the fire wall, I would start with a full tune up and go from there.

Sounds like it sat for a long time.

bigal004321
06-02-2005, 07:04 AM
yeah it did sit for about 5 months or something... a tune up would fix this problem?? i really hope so... i have replaced oil and oil filter already... its really annoying on a 30 min drive to work i had to stop around 8 times or so cuz it just died.. is there any other fuel filters anywhere?? like near the fuel pump or anything... i am thinking that the fuel filter is just getting clogged up.. im going to throw in some STP or something like that when i see the first gas station...

bigal004321
06-02-2005, 07:06 AM
is the ecu throwing any codes?

to check i just look under the driver sit right and see how many times a red light blinks??

snow_man_20
06-02-2005, 07:16 AM
have you put new gas in it? It may be bad gas, tune ups always help if thay havn't been done in a LONG time. If it has 5 month old gas in it it's probibly bad gas or water in the gas.

only one fuel filter it's black round and bolted to the firewall.

buy a cap and rotor from a honda dealer (cap ok aftermaket but rotor should come from dealer)
ngk v-power plugs and ngk wires
fuel filter
oil change w/mobol1 filter

i know it sounds like alot but most of that stuff lasts a LONG time and it will make a diffrence.

every car i buy gets a full tune up before anything elce.

bigal004321
06-02-2005, 07:19 AM
yeah it is the old gas ill put some new gas in as well... hope with that and a tune up everything goes good.... cuz i hear these 3gees can last till 300k... i put 10k on my car last year so the car would last a while... i have never changed a cap and rotor are those hard... i have a book for the car but its at home... it should be like 2 screws or something holding the cap on is the rotor inside the cap?? how does that work.... ive changed a fuel filter before so thats not a problem... should i drain the gas somehow to get that old gas out or can i just throw some new stuff in with it.. there is like less than a 1/4 tank in it at the moment

Blkblurr
06-02-2005, 07:26 AM
My bet would be bad gas and new cap and rotor. Could be a clogged filter or the main relay that controls the fuel injections system.

bigal004321
06-02-2005, 07:51 AM
so can i just mix the old gas with new gas then??

now that i member right when i pulled one of the spark plugs wires off the spark plug it had white powder all over it.. i looked at the others and they didnt have it on it.. so i sounds like it wont be bad to fix... i hope this car can last me a couple years... i just need it as a winter vehicle since my 73 vw bug will should be restored by then... and that baby aint going to see that road salt and snow again...

Blkblurr
06-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Can you sophon the old gas out? That's what I would do. How much old gas do you have in the tank?

bigal004321
06-02-2005, 09:48 AM
1/4 tank or a little bit less

Blkblurr
06-02-2005, 12:21 PM
If it's water causing the problem it will settle in the bottom of your tank. You would need to drain it to get it out. I think there is a product you can add to the gas to get the water out. It combines with the water and causes it to be burned. You can try filling the tank to dilute the bad gas if it's not water. Make sure you replace the fuel filter no matter what. Just a good thing to do.

bigal004321
06-02-2005, 12:27 PM
alright well i will leave work in 30 mins.. illl put some gas in and grab a cleaner as well... tonight ill go out and get new plugs cap and rotor and fuel filter... oh and spark plug wires

ill let everyone know how it is tomorrow

thanks
alex

bigal004321
06-02-2005, 04:37 PM
wow im soo happy... i put in gas it only cost me like 16 bucks to fill it ... :) other suv was like 40 and lasted me a week lets see how much this lasts but anyway i had to like putt into the gas station and when i got there filled it up and added some water kill stuff... couple bucks for it.. but anyway worked like a charm didnt have any problems on the ride home... soo happy.. .thanks guys.. ill do a tune up as soon as i can..