PDA

View Full Version : Glasspack or Turbo

halxi
06-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Well ive been looking into a new aftermarket exhaust.

One shop recomended the glasspack, and remove the res. installed for less then $100, i talked to him about a super turbo muffler and he said it would put it at about $180 to install it.

So i lost interest, from what ive seen/heard, glasspacks are loud and annoying... cant stand them. So i went to another shop here in Brighton, and i told him what i was looking for, something not too loud, but not stock, and i wanted semi-stock looking piping.

He qouted me $120 for the super turbo muffler, and cat-back system, installed.

I just got my paycheck today and its going towards insurance/K&N filter to get CAI finished, i could take the money from my savings if i wanted it done this weekend, or i have to wait for my next paycheck in 2 weeks. But im here asking for your opinions on this.

Thanks in advance.

Busted_Blue
06-02-2005, 11:29 AM
I like my magnaflow resonator. I have a 22inch one and it has a deep tone. I never liked glasspacks but they are definitely cheaper than magnaflow resonators. I think a 14inch or 18inch magnaflow resonator would be good for our cars with 2.25 inch piping.

halxi
06-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Do you have a price on an 18" mag res. I dont think the guy at the 2nd shop knew that it had a res, and probably didnt include the price to replace it. So i might order one online, then have him install it when hes doing the rest of it.

Busted_Blue
06-02-2005, 11:50 AM
kteller.com has it for 65bucks for the resonator for whichever size. I like magnaflow resonators cause it creates a nice deep tone and it is straight thru design.

http://www.kteller.com/store/index.php/cPath/23_110

nismoracer99
06-03-2005, 01:24 AM
i had the Cherry bomb turbo muffler 2 and it made my toyota pickup sound nice. made the engine sounds powerful, but was quite when driving normal.

i used to live in Fort Lupton near brighton, and went to flms. :S

mouchyn
06-03-2005, 04:34 PM
aside from the sound, i don't see the point in upgrading the stock exhaust with a stock exhaust manifold. the stock exhaust flows properly with the stock manifold.

i would install a header before i upgrade the rest of the exhaust. not only will a header give you considerably more power, it will change your exhaust tone, too. if the sound still doesn't suite you, then choose your muffler/piping/resonators appropriately.

installing an exhaust to sound "good" with a stock manifold will most likely sound too loud and obnoxious to you once you get a header.

halxi
06-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Im not about to fork out $300 for a header, ive done plenty of searching and ive read some peoples posts comparing before and after and they say its not that much of a difference. Plus, at the moment, my header is fine, not rusting through or anything else... which is more then i can say for my muffler, piping, and resinator.

mouchyn
06-03-2005, 05:02 PM
on my 89 lxi hatch, a pacesetter header ($160) gained me 12 whp and 15 tq. that's a pretty good money:power ratio.

then again, i can see wanting to repalce a totally rusted out exhaust.

halxi
06-03-2005, 05:05 PM
I dont really even have the money to replace the exhaust, but it has to be done so im doing it.

If i feel the need, a header will come later on.

mouchyn
06-03-2005, 05:15 PM
well, like i said, don't be surprised if your exhaust doesn't sound the way you want it when you add a header later.