PDA

View Full Version : CAI Build Question

halxi
06-06-2005, 04:07 PM
OK, before i get flammed on for "not searching". Ive read the How To's (yes, multiple how to's) and this question is not answered in any of them.

What did some of you do with the battery tray/stock hole for the air intake to make the 2.5" Piping fit? Or did you use 2.5" Piping? I was trying to get it to fit in right, but i couldnt get the pipe between the battery and fuse box, or past the brake lines without touching. Did you guys move the tray over and drill out the hole a little more or what?

Thanks for all the help.

b8er
06-06-2005, 04:37 PM
well when i did mine i just cut some small tubing and used it inbetween the battery try and the frame as some big spacers for the bolts, and as of the stock hole i just used a air powerd die grinder thing and made it a bit bigger, i figured it would be the easiest way and it worked just fine

FyreDaug
06-06-2005, 04:55 PM
I just built shit till it fit. But thats not quite the answer you were looking for. WAI is just as effective and is easier to build (and weighs less if you wanna consider that) and you get a good sound of it. But if you already have a CAI just move stuff around to make it fit. Thats the point of keeping something custom cmon! :D

halxi
06-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Yea, ive noticed on pikepeak3g's accord (even though its a carb, he has a CAI, looks really good too) he had a smaller battery and cut the tray. This created another problem for me, i dont have a tool such as a dremel to cut the tray, and its basically rusted in on the frame from all the battery shit over the years. All the bolts are pretty much rusted together and i cant get them off. I guess ill keep messing with it until it fits. Did anybody have any problems with the metal bracket the brake lines run into (at least i think its a brakeline bracket)

5spdaccordlxi
06-06-2005, 05:10 PM
i had to use a smaller length battery, luckily i switched one out of a car that i was about to sell-anyway i also cut the edge of the tray closest to the hole that enters the bumper and drilled a different hole farther away from the hole that enters into the bumper of the battery tie down bracket to fit into-its a tight fit but it will work-the battery i used had lower cold cranking amps but it didnt seem to matter (maybe it will when it gets cold again but i'll face that when it happens) its just a cheap walmart battery so just measure out how much space you need and find a battery accordingly

5spdaccordlxi
06-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Yea, ive noticed on pikepeak3g's accord (even though its a carb, he has a CAI, looks really good too) he had a smaller battery and cut the tray. This created another problem for me, i dont have a tool such as a dremel to cut the tray, and its basically rusted in on the frame from all the battery shit over the years. All the bolts are pretty much rusted together and i cant get them off. I guess ill keep messing with it until it fits. Did anybody have any problems with the metal bracket the brake lines run into (at least i think its a brakeline bracket)

thats actually the proportioning valve. mine was pretty tight fit to the brake lines-if you need, just get some foam or something to pad between the pipe and the lines

A20A1
06-06-2005, 05:23 PM
I made the hole bigger. Turned the tray at and angle, and my battery was farily small. I coated the exposed metal in the hole to protect against rust.