PDA

View Full Version : Bass Frecuency

Cygnus
06-07-2005, 11:34 AM
What is the best bass frecuency(tune) in the interior cabin of my '86 4dr?

mouchyn
06-07-2005, 12:27 PM
i'm not sure what you're asking.

are you tuning a ported box?
do you just want to know what freq sounds best?
which is loudest?

what kind of music do you listen to?

TheWatcher
06-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Bass response is a product of your EQUIPMENT NOT the interior of the vehicle. The interior of the vehicle strictly speaks of the acoustic environment and has nothing to do with bass response/setting. You should be directing this question to a dedicated car audio forum. What you probably mean is where you should set your cross-over(s). Again, post your setup in a car audio forum and they can help you.

Peace.

AccordEpicenter
06-07-2005, 07:17 PM
if youre gonna be an spl guy, tune to the resonant frequency of the vehicle. I assume that is between 40-50hz but cant remember exactly

Strugglebucket
06-07-2005, 08:43 PM
if you want to figure it out, measure the distance from the firewall to the back of the trunk. then take 1120 (roughly the speed of sound in feet per second) and divide your distance (i'm assuming you'll use feet). you'll probably get some really low subsonic frequency which for your purposes is not really what you want, so just double that number and you'll have a nice bass-friendly frequency whose half-wavelengths will be amplified by the resonant frequency of the car.

p.s. usually spl guys will tune their box to slightly above the resonant frequency of the cabin...i think.

AccordEpicenter
06-08-2005, 07:19 AM
Yeah i think so strugglebucket. Another way to do it is to get a cd with test tones, a single 12 with a good amp with a sealed box to enhance a flat response, youll feel the car start to vibrate(mirrors etc will shake) at the right frequency, and that would be the resonant frequency of the car. If i can remember right, mine was like 46-48hz.

87DXHatch
07-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Lollerskates, d00der, the interior makes ALL the difference! You can tweak settings all the live-long day, but they're still going to be MAJORLY impacted by the interior of the vehicle. Response graphs and even T/S parameters generally don't mean shit because as soon as that woofer goes in an enclosure and then goes in a vehicle (an enclosure inside another enclosure ;)) everything goes out the window.

I'm assuming the original poster was speaking of the tune for a ported box. It really comes down to what driver you're using and what goal you're looking for for your music. I had an Elemental Designs e15a woofer in 2.7 cubic feet of air tuned to ~28 hz in my SEi coupe and it sounded great; it could get really loud when I wanted it to, but it sounded very clean and flat throughout the frequency range I had the sub playing.

Essentially, what it comes down to, is that there aren't enough car audio madmen out there with 86-89 Accords testing every possible woofer and every possible combination with them to see what works the best. You're just going to have to experiment and see what works for you and what you like.

Any other questions, feel free to drop me a PM.

FyreDaug
08-09-2005, 05:06 PM
And if ^^ he cant help you out, I'm deadly with stuff like this, best resonant freq I've found for my car building boxes was 37hz