PDA

View Full Version : Sucked up my filter threw turbo!!!

adams86lxi
06-07-2005, 04:50 PM
lol, yesterday i was driving my car, not by choice but i had to since the other cars were gone at my house and i was crusing and sped up alittle and then suddlenly the car just lost all power?? I was like wtf? It seemed to run fine but not very strong or anything? So i drove it home hoping i didnt blow it up again or anything. I immediatly bust out the compression tester and go to check the compression to make sure everything inside the engine was fine. I get the damn tester stuck in the spark plug hole damnit!!! It took a good hour to get out. Then i test the rest of them and everything was normal. So i start to look for something else wrong. Then i notice half of the filter on the turbo was gone!!! It was just some cheap uni filter from a dirt bike made out of foam but it was the only thing i could find that had a 2 inch opening that fit on the turbo. I pull off my charge pipes and find out that all of the foam was ground up and stuck in the one side of the intercooler, and i mean tons of foam stuck in there! It had to be blocking off 90 percent of the air flow. I took it off the car and blew most of it out with the air compresser and then with the hose. I think i got most of it im going to go put it back on tommrow and see what it does. It was pretty funnny.

BTW: does anyone know where i can get a small filter with a 2 inch opening in it that isnt made out of foam and wont get sucked in lol.

adams86lxi
06-07-2005, 04:51 PM
i put it all back together today and it still had the same problem. Wouldnt boost. I think its still the intercooler. But i have tried everything to clean it out? Does any one have any ideas on how to clean it out? It looks clean but i guess ther must still be some crap stuck in it that i cant see.

carotman
06-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Hmm. check if the foam reacts to Gasoline. I know it's ghetto but if gasoline dissolves the foam, it might just help to clean out the intercooler. Since it's from a dirtbike, I guess it's gasoline resistant.

Maybe spraying pressurisez air through the other end of the intercooler

A20A1
06-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Maybe chemi dip, but you'd need to be sure you rinse/clean it out good afterwards.

Ludi Mali
06-07-2005, 06:07 PM
you could try chemical solvents like acetone or carb cleaner and the like, they won't leave a residue. If you can find freon in an aerosol can (from back in the 70-80s for cleaning tapes and shit) that works wonders, but its kind of illegal now

adams86lxi
06-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Maybe spraying pressurisez air through the other end of the intercooler

Yea, the gas doesnt do anything. I already tried spraying air threw it with the air compresser too. Im lost. I just connected some pipes inplace of the intercooler with duck tape lmao i know its ghetto but i wanted to see if it was just the intercooler, just to see if it would run fine but it still didnt seem to boost much at all and it didnt run like it used to either.

keruhas184
06-07-2005, 07:07 PM
BTW: does anyone know where i can get a small filter with a 2 inch opening in it that isnt made out of foam and wont get sucked in lol.

Here you go: http://www.knfilters.com/universal/universal.htm Might as well get quality this time, right? I own one of the xstream filters, and I like it a lot. Good luck getting the rest of your turbo setup fixed.

AccordEpicenter
06-07-2005, 07:10 PM
Acetone might help. Are you sure that there is still foam in your intercooler adam? It didnt damage the turbo right?

adams86lxi
06-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Here you go: http://www.knfilters.com/universal/universal.htm Might as well get quality this time, right? I own one of the xstream filters, and I like it a lot. Good luck getting the rest of your turbo setup fixed.

Thanks for the link bro.

alright well i think i got the intercooler pretty much back to normal. I think it has to be 100% clean. But the car is still running the same it did before!!! Is there anything else that could of gone wrong in this situation??? I cant figure it out!!! It was running so strong before! The compression is normal in all cylinders btw. Could just by chance something that had nothing to do with the intake side of the car gone wrong like maybe with the wastegate or something???

adams86lxi
06-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Acetone might help. Are you sure that there is still foam in your intercooler adam? It didnt damage the turbo right?

Yea, i think the turbo is fine. It spins just as freely as it did before and seems to be perfect.

bobafett
06-07-2005, 08:03 PM
maybe something is damaged since your turbo ate your filter.. lol

sorry to hear that man...

adams86lxi
06-07-2005, 08:20 PM
maybe something is damaged since your turbo ate your filter.. lol

sorry to hear that man...

yea, but what?? I doubt a little foam piece would damage the turbo. Im sure it just grinded it up and spit it to the intercooler where it got stuck lol.

AccordEpicenter
06-07-2005, 08:23 PM
yeah i bet your intercooler is full of that shit... is it hard to blow through?

adams86lxi
06-07-2005, 08:37 PM
yeah i bet your intercooler is full of that shit... is it hard to blow through?

Nah i think the intercooler is fine now. I used a air nozzle at 160 psi and a pressure washer along with a 5hp shop vac with one end plugged. I think i got the intercooler clean. When i pull off the one end of the intercooler and put my hand on that end of the intercooler and rev it alittle it feels the same as when i pull off the pipe from the other side directly off the turbo, and feel how hard its pushing air directly from the turbo.

O i also pulled the charge pipes off from the throttle body yesterday and drove the car with the turbo still on it. Basically n/a with just a turbo restricting the exhaust and it felt slower then shit!!! Way slower then when i had it n/a before turbo. Would the turbo restrict it that much and slow it down that much without boost running threw it?

AccordEpicenter
06-07-2005, 09:02 PM
my car felt slow as fuck when my wastegate was fuxored and wasnt boosting at all, so yeah i guess so. I wouldnt go around doing that though, youll probably blow the turbo by overspeeding it since it has no load on it and nothing to slow it down since the wastegate is going to remain shut since youre not in boost.

POS carb
06-09-2005, 07:34 AM
there may be foam inside the vacuum lines?? or foam in the turbo bearings... check the boost BEFORE the intercooler, it should be normal PSI if the turbo is OK

Blkblurr
06-09-2005, 08:10 AM
Maybe you have foam holding open your waste gate. That way you will never build any pressure for boost.

mouchyn
06-09-2005, 09:18 AM
yeah, if foam got stuck in the intercooler, then i'm sure tiny pieces blew right through the intercooler and into your engine.

even though compression is fine, there could be melted foam stuck to your injectors, valves, wastegate, catalytic converter (if you have one), etc.

sounds like it is time to pull the turbo off and start finding where the problem is.

FyreDaug
06-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Thats pretty shitty if you ask me. Good luck.

1987HondaAccord
06-14-2005, 08:34 PM
well, its good to hear you have the turbo working again . its too bad that you sucked up the filter though lol. i hope you get it worked out.