PDA

View Full Version : Short Ram Intake

Trick87Accord
06-07-2005, 08:59 PM
I know what everyone thinks about short ram intakes they are crappy, but i live in oregon, it rains 364 days out of a year. what i really want to know is if i get a short ram intake, off ebay will it suck up water still? I know short ram isn't really that good becuase it sucks up engine bay heat, but i want the sound of the intake (newbie wish) i will have to get a dual air box from a civic since im carbed. Then a 90-93 Teg intake. My real question is can i go with a short ram since i live in oregon and it rains, or should i go with a CAI, i have small knowledge about the engine part of my car. short ram i think i could do after doing some homework. Again dont flame me for this post, i am asking the veterans for some wisdom....
3geez Vets -----> :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

snoopyloopy
06-07-2005, 09:10 PM
the cai generally goes lower down than a short ram. a short ram rests at the top of the engine, the cai goes down to usually the level of the bottom of the engine. unless you're driving throught 3 foot rivers, i don't see a short ram getting any water in it. if u put a cai, u could add an aem bypass valve so it doesn't suck up water.

snoopyloopy
06-07-2005, 09:20 PM
well, i saw w/ my own eyes a video of the aem people testing one of the bypass valves on an nsx of one of the execs. they put it in a bucket of water and the water was gurgling in the pipe around the valve (looked scary), but none went past (i'm sure a few drops might've gotten by, but nothing really damaging). so that's pretty close to waterproof i'd say. and with an oiled filter, sounds like a really good idea and safe idea.

Trick87Accord
06-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Ya CKE i hear ya, how much would it cost you think to get a CAI setup, im on a budget well i guess ebay would help me out a lot. i still need the airbox right???

Trick87Accord
06-07-2005, 09:31 PM
do you think if i called a custom exhaust shop they could custom make one? like hostilejava did?

Trick87Accord
06-07-2005, 09:38 PM
ya true true i am just a little worried about the knowlege that i have. i hate to say it but i usually just drop down the cash and they do it. (weak i know) i want to do this on my own. how much would an airbox cost? from a JY? how involved would the bending of the CAI be?

SteveDX89
06-08-2005, 11:28 AM
I was just monkeying with a Civic the other day at the junkyard and the airbox is still there so I could back and grab it if you can't find one.

I had a CAI on my car and drove in the rain and never had a problem. No bypass valve on it either. If you have the undershield thing on the car, you're really limited by the amount of water getting to the filter, especially if you still have fog light covers. I don't and still had no problems. Basically the filter has to be submerged before you suck up enough water to damage the motor.

Busted_Blue
06-08-2005, 11:50 AM
I was just monkeying with a Civic the other day at the junkyard and the airbox is still there so I could back and grab it if you can't find one.

I had a CAI on my car and drove in the rain and never had a problem. No bypass valve on it either. If you have the undershield thing on the car, you're really limited by the amount of water getting to the filter, especially if you still have fog light covers. I don't and still had no problems. Basically the filter has to be submerged before you suck up enough water to damage the motor.

driving in the rain, basically if water will touch the filter no matter what. There usually isn't enough water to reach the end of the pipe anyways. Majority of the time it just stays near the filter. It is a big pipe and it takes a lot of water to build up pressure to shoot it all into your engine. I've driven over a year with my CAI in San Francisco through all the rain and hadn't had a problem. I even push the car through the rain lol.

one thing that I notice is CAI are alot quieter than short rams. Sometimes I miss having a loud intake but that is basically the main difference is.

NXRacer
06-08-2005, 12:29 PM
i've been running my CAI in the rain in oregon without a problem. I still have the undersheild and just watch for deep puddles.

Going to an exhaust shop to have a CAI custom made would be more expensive then getting the CAI i got off ebay. It was only $40 shipped to my door. I picked up a generic 5th gen accord CAI and it worked great.

Trick87Accord
06-08-2005, 01:26 PM
ya i do like loud sound coming from my car, but i also want preformance. DAMN im torn..

Justin86
06-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Get the CAI and put you money in a K&N filter. The filter will get wet in the rain but it won't get sucked up and what does will be a mist and that won't hurt at all. Just make sure to clean the filter a lot and re oil it. Pretty much the only way it will suck up water is you are submerged and I mean like a foot deep.

miss_accord
06-08-2005, 10:29 PM
I know what everyone thinks about short ram intakes they are crappy, but i live in oregon, it rains 364 days out of a year. what i really want to know is if i get a short ram intake, off ebay will it suck up water still? I know short ram isn't really that good becuase it sucks up engine bay heat, but i want the sound of the intake (newbie wish) i will have to get a dual air box from a civic since im carbed. Then a 90-93 Teg intake. My real question is can i go with a short ram since i live in oregon and it rains, or should i go with a CAI, i have small knowledge about the engine part of my car. short ram i think i could do after doing some homework. Again dont flame me for this post, i am asking the veterans for some wisdom....
3geez Vets -----> :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

if u want to use a short ram air, use a heat shield, try to get the cooler air from behind ur engine via a duct & use the stock air intake, to supply cooler air to ur short air ram.....

Low Tek
06-09-2005, 01:06 AM
I have not had a prob with intake in the rain.. I live in portland.. liquid sunshine.. just do a homeade home depot special.. might run you 20 for everything.. but run 2 inch pipe.. better for low end torque.. that is what I have..

A20A1
06-09-2005, 01:52 AM
I've had a hood scoop in the rain with just the K&N, a fairly used one at one time. It could have been the moisture in the air but overall my car was fairly sluggish. After things dried up the car was fine. Thats about the only water meets filter experience I've had.

b8er
06-09-2005, 10:15 AM
kinda off topic, but would an AEM bypass filter (like some of you guys are talking about) affect perfromance at all? more or less? just wondreing

A20A1
06-09-2005, 10:34 AM
It has a rubber flap on it that is normally sealed untill suction is blocked/restricted enough for it to open. It may open on it's own if the filter you have on the CAI is too small/restrictive... I dunno though cause I've never owned one.

b8er
06-09-2005, 12:56 PM
i like that neutral idea, lol

NXRacer
06-09-2005, 01:48 PM
bypass filters are a safety measure, not a performance mod. I highly doubt they affect the performance at all.

A20A1
06-09-2005, 05:09 PM
bypass filters are a safety measure, not a performance mod. I highly doubt they affect the performance at all.

Except on turbo cars where it sounds like a whoopie cusion after 3psi.

:hs:

j/p

NXRacer
06-10-2005, 07:25 AM
Except on turbo cars where it sounds like a whoopie cusion after 3psi.

:hs:

j/p
:rofl:

keruhas184
06-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Trick87Accord: Ill be parting out my lx pretty soon, so I can sell you my civic box and the K&N filter (the pipe will be too long for you unless you relocate the battery). Let me know if you're interested

PM

halxi
06-10-2005, 09:46 AM
i had thoughts of an exhaust shop bending me one single peice of pipe so i wouldnt have cuts and such that could possible leak air and whatnot... but then i started thinking about how greedy (spelling?) most of the shops around here are, and quickly gave up on that idea.

I purchased my pipe (180* bent) from the shop for $20 and he was cool all the way, at first he only had 1", so i took that, decided it was too small. Took it back and said i wanted 2-3" and so he had a 3" ready for me the next day, just looking at it i decided it was too big so we agreed on 2.5" and he had it ready for me the same day. I thought it was good of him to do that. But thats kind of another topic lol.

Im currently building mine (as i type im waiting for the paint to dry) and i have the fear of sucking up water (especially since its raining right now) because all of the highways are older, so theres little "ruts" where semis and all the vehicles drive that the water pools up in. So youre constantly driving in it and ive noticed that some water leaks in. Im going to have to go up to autozone or something and get a K&N recharge kit with the oil and such so it will kind of help keep the water off/out.

Trick87Accord
06-10-2005, 01:06 PM
keruhas184 how much do you think you would sell it for shipped and everything?