PDA

View Full Version : Wheel noise

bigal004321
06-08-2005, 11:50 AM
alright so i am going to do an inspection tomorrow in new york state. And i have this noise when i turn the wheel as far as it goes, u can turn it all the way and wont make any noises just when u start to move forward it makes a noise... kinda sounds like the tire rubs but i looked and it dosent... is this something that needs to be fixed before i do an inspection?

bigal004321
06-09-2005, 03:54 AM
anyone have any ideas? or should this be in the suspension section?

A20A1
06-09-2005, 04:00 AM
Nope I'm clueless.

This probably doesn't help you but, I had a noise issue once but it was the dust shield coming in contact with the disk.

Blkblurr
06-09-2005, 04:10 AM
The dust shield would be my guess as well.

bigal004321
06-09-2005, 05:06 AM
alright where is this dust shield located?? ill have to look around some more see if something is hanging... but if thats all it is wow ill be happy...

Blkblurr
06-09-2005, 08:12 AM
It's the black sheet metal shroud behind the brake rotor that is slightly larger than the rotor.

bigal004321
06-09-2005, 08:16 AM
alright yeah ill look at that... first time i heard it i was like oh shit.. i wonder if something is really wrong with my suspension... im planning on redoing some of the suspension work soon.. shocks and springs. ill do some reading in the suspension forum to see what are the best to get.. thanks guys... this is one of the best help groups out there for any car.. glad to have myself a 3gee

Blkblurr
06-09-2005, 08:26 AM
alright yeah ill look at that... first time i heard it i was like oh shit.. i wonder if something is really wrong with my suspension... im planning on redoing some of the suspension work soon.. shocks and springs. ill do some reading in the suspension forum to see what are the best to get.. thanks guys... this is one of the best help groups out there for any car.. glad to have myself a 3gee

I agree! There are alot of experienced and smart people on this site.

w261w261
06-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Do you have the stock wheels and tire size on there? Did you have a chance to look at the dust shields? They are pretty easy to bend back, just grab 'em and sit them right.

Also, when you put the wheel back on, be sure to make sure it sits square on the lugs before you tighten them. Use a torque wrench to get the right torque values on the lug nuts. Your rotors are thin and will be pulled into a warp situation if the lug nuts are over-tightened. You'll know this when you try to put on the brakes at speed and things start vibrating.

bigal004321
06-09-2005, 08:54 AM
they have a wicked vibration at high speed braking.. but i already knew the rotors were warped.. but havent had time to change them yet.. probally get me some cross drilled or cross drilled slotted while im at it.. but that wouldnt cause that noise would it?? thought it was two diffrenet problems

and no i havent looked at the dust shield... still sitting at work waiting till 3 to go do my inspection.. boy i hope i pass

A20A1
06-09-2005, 10:06 AM
There is a nice write up somewhere on replacement rotors in the suspension or Frequently Asked Question section. Keep and eye out for it when you're searching.

w261w261
06-09-2005, 10:34 AM
I asked if the wheels/tires were stock sizes because of possible clearance and other problems, such as the wrong offset on non-original wheels.

bigal004321
06-09-2005, 10:39 AM
sry buddy for not responding to that... .but yeah its stock tires and rims... well not the orginal tires but u know what i mean.. but i am almost done work to go check on those shields... after i get home after the inspection ill let everyone know if i passed or not..... uh i hate inspections what are they good for anyway ... :dunno: lol i know safety and all that jazz

bigal004321
06-09-2005, 05:52 PM
well i failed the inspection bad!!! it didnt start well seems my reverse lights high beams and right directional lights were out... fixed the reverse light it was unhooked from the transmission and the right directional just had a bulb out... i was surpirsed that both high beams were out seemed weird.. but both had 12 volt going to the high beams.. so ill just get new bulbs tomorrow

AccordEpicenter
06-09-2005, 06:02 PM
good those are easy fixes. Where in NY are you located anyway?

bigal004321
06-09-2005, 06:05 PM
up near the border.. clinton county... plattsburgh... dont know about easy fixes.. that reverse light took a while to figure what was up with it...

tomorrow ill give it another try... they didnt even do any saftey checks yet like suspension and stuff.. .ew i hate inspections.. wait i think i already said that