PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt Help Please!!!!!!

biggene
06-09-2005, 02:46 AM
Ok here is the deal. I changed my timing belt about a month or so ago. At the time I changed it the old belt was stretched badly almost to the point that you could slide it on and off the cam pulley.
So anyways, I swapped out the belt, set the timing up per the website how-to and the shop manual from paul aerodecks website.

Now a little more than a month later, the damn belt is that loose again. Anyone got any ideas as to what would cause this?? I think maybe the spring for the tensioner pulley is bad, but I seem to remember torqueing the tensioner bolt down, so the spring shouldnt have anything to do with it being loose, right? Because once you get the tension on the belt correct then tighten the bolt down the tensioner shouldnt move anymore.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone has any ideas let me know. This is my DD and I commute about 70 miles each way every day and really cannot afford to lose my job due to not being able to get there.

Thanks,
Gene

A20A1
06-09-2005, 02:52 AM
Make sure it's the correct belt... other then that has the head been shaved? or the block shaved?

It could very well be the tensioner.

Strugglebucket
06-09-2005, 03:21 AM
if the spring is bad, you won't have the right tension when you tighten it down.

replace the spring and that should solve your problem.

biggene
06-09-2005, 03:34 AM
Make sure it's the correct belt... other then that has the head been shaved? or the block shaved?

It could very well be the tensioner.

---I got the belt from the honda dealer so it should be the correct one, and as far as I know neither the block or head has ever had any work done to it.

if the spring is bad, you won't have the right tension when you tighten it down.

replace the spring and that should solve your problem.

----I would need to order the spring from the honda dealer correct.

biggene
06-09-2005, 03:35 AM
Also, an update.

After I posted I went out and reset the tension on the belt. Everything seems to be fine now, so I guess by this evening I should know fo rsure whether it is the tensioner spring, as the belt would be loose again correct???

A20A1
06-09-2005, 03:47 AM
Strange though cause I've never had to deal with adjusting the tensioner, it always seemed to be tight on it's own, enough to make it a pain to slip on the belt... anyways with the belt on I simply tightened the bolt, rotated the crank a few times and that was that.

biggene
06-09-2005, 06:31 AM
Strange though cause I've never had to deal with adjusting the tensioner, it always seemed to be tight on it's own, enough to make it a pain to slip on the belt... anyways with the belt on I simply tightened the bolt, rotated the crank a few times and that was that.

Well when I took the belt off the first time, it was just that the first time, lol. I had always had either VW beetles, opr Chevy pickups till now, and wasnt really sure what I was doing when I swapped it out.

Blkblurr
06-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Did you rotate the engine clockwise before tightening the tensioner bolt? That'is what sets the proper spring load or tension on the belt.

biggene
06-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Did you rotate the engine clockwise before tightening the tensioner bolt? That'is what sets the proper spring load or tension on the belt

I thought it was supposed to be 3 teeth counterclockwise then tighten the tensioner bolt down.

Blkblurr
06-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Yea you're right. I just wanted to make sure you did that since I didn't see it in your post.

biggene
06-09-2005, 01:33 PM
lol ok kinda like a reverse psychology thing huh??