PDA

View Full Version : what the rust??

NXRacer
06-10-2005, 02:05 PM
So today i was coming into work and glanced at my temp gauge and almost flipped out. It was in the red! Its been running a little hot lately, but never THAT hot. I cranked on my heater hoping that would help cool it down a little, but there wasnt any heat coming from the vents. I'm thinking this might be due to a bad thermostat, but i'm not sure. My coolant is HELLA rusty and i'm thinking thats part of the problem. When i pulled the cap off this afternoon, there wasnt much pressure in the radiator. I'm thinking it could also be just a fautly temp sender, but i dont wanna risk it being something else.

anybody have any bright ideas? its gonna be fun going home after work today because my car litterally over heats in 10 min.

A20A1
06-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Check your water pump also

NXRacer
06-10-2005, 02:22 PM
its not making any noise or leaking. think it could still be faulty?? I did see a little rust trail coming from some weird leak after the thermostat.

NXRacer
06-10-2005, 03:17 PM
im thinking about taking out my thermostat and hooking up a host to the inlet pipe on the motor and run fresh water through it for a bit and see if i can clear up any crap thats built up in the motor.

Vanilla Sky
06-10-2005, 03:26 PM
tha't what you need to do... it's in DESPERATE need of a flush... i'm also thinking your water pump may be faulty, but replace the thermostat first since it's cheaper... it wouldn't surprise me if your pump is bad, also... could have some nice clogs, as well...

since you're in an area where you have cold spells, i don't recommend watter wetter unless you don't mind flushing your coolant every 6 months or so... it doesn't change the freezing point of the water... if you're in a warmer climate, the stuff is great... i just don't recommend the use of it in any area where you have consistantly cool weather for as long as you do up in oregon...

NXRacer
06-10-2005, 03:39 PM
i'll be using the right amount of coolant/anti-freeze when i can get this overheating problem figured out.

Vanilla Sky
06-10-2005, 10:36 PM
what about winter? i'm sure it's not a problem with everybody that uses watter wetter to change the coolant when cold season comes around, but i just don't see enough positive benifits to using it over a glycol based product, other than the fact taht i can use a lot less watter wetter (keep in mind that it doesn't change the properties of the water at all, it just adds algicide and corrosion inhibitors and can stabilize the pH of the water), letting me use a higher percentage of water, which is where the benifit comes from. glycol based antifreeze needs a mixture of 50/50 to "perform optimally" (we all should know that, and i'm not saying you don't). more water and less additive means better cooling.

sorry if this seems like a threadjack, but i'm just making it as clear as possible that watter wetter and similar products are not for use in cold weather, and the coolant in your car must be changed when you encounter freezing temps.

Blkblurr
06-11-2005, 05:41 AM
It sounds to me that your coolant is low. If you don't get any heat from the heater, it tells me you don't have enough coolant in the engine block. This would also explain the over heating problem. Find your leak and fix it.

possum
06-12-2005, 09:42 AM
I believe Honda does not recommend running strait water in our cars. Its causes rusting of the block. Instead run a 50/50 mix all year long. And yes, water wetter can be added to this mix.

NXRacer
06-13-2005, 07:59 AM
low coolant was NOT the problem. I gotta show you a picture of the old water pump. its pretty funny. now i understand why my car was overheating. :rofl:

NXRacer
06-13-2005, 09:58 AM
here's the reason my car was overheating. I dunno why this was the problem. Looks ok to me! :kekeke:
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wOTY1NDY1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

NXRacer
06-13-2005, 11:56 AM
i have no way of knowing any details of the pump. i didnt get any service records or anything with the car.

thegreatdane
06-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Heh.. Stripping the waterpump is not the best place to start, when you want to save weight :slap:

NXRacer
06-13-2005, 12:08 PM
it sucks. I lost like 10hp when i put the new pump in because its actually pumping now! :rofl:

thegreatdane
06-13-2005, 12:12 PM
haha

Vanilla Sky
06-13-2005, 12:31 PM
i had one almost do that to me. i caught it in time, though.

89AccordLX2dr
06-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Electric water pump, now that's an idea, Electric PS pump would be nice too... aww screw it, drop in the 502BB

b8er
06-13-2005, 09:00 PM
iv kinda had the same problem recently, not sure what it is. how much was your water pump?

NXRacer
06-14-2005, 08:03 AM
water pump was like 26 bucks or something. i could have gone for the rebuilt one, but i figured i might as well spring for the brand new one and not have to replace it soon.