PDA

View Full Version : Help.....input???

Rendon LX-i
06-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Well right now im stuck as fuck. I was putting my kybs in and taking off the rear struts which is pretty easy and took em off the first time with the quicks. well right now i tryed to loosen the bottom bolt and it broke so im like FUCK. i used a penut grider to cut off the strut and took it off. cut both ends off and drilled a hold thou. its needs to be a hair bigger so the new stud can go in. any ideas. i used state of the art drill bits from work for metal only can do so much. What esle? i tryed a punch with a 5 lbs hammer still nothing. I NEED HELP.........PLEASE.... :uh:

A20A1
06-10-2005, 05:57 PM
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4343
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4342

So you messed up that bottom bolt?

Rendon LX-i
06-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Yeah that one. i got a hole thew it just needs to be a hair bigger.

A20A1
06-10-2005, 06:12 PM
So are you trying to remove the bolt or put another bolt thru it?

What stud are you talking about?

Robs89LXi
06-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Yeah, not following too well here either. If you mean you broke off the head of the bottom strut mounting bolt, and now you are trying to get the rest of the bolt loose, try this. Get a Craftsman bolt easy-out kit from Sears Hardware, drill a big enough hole (diameter) for the appropriate easy-out to fit in (only needs to be around a 1/4" deep), tap the easy-out into the hole, then turn it counter clockwise just as you would when trying to loosen a bolt. I've yet to find a bolt that I was not able to loosen this way, so hopefully it will work for you too.

Rendon LX-i
06-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Yeah the strut mounting bolt And yes i broke off the head. the strut is off right now i cut the strut mount itself on the strut i got a hole all the way thew and but need it a little more bigger to put in a new strut mounting bolt cuz so i can put in my kybs. i hope this sounds better

Robs89LXi
06-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Still not quite understanding what you are trying to do, or why. So you completely removed the old strut and it's bottom mounting bolt, right? Now you are trying to install your new KYB strut, but I don't understand what the bigger hole is you are talking about. The strut uses a bottom mounting bolt that passes through one side of the struts bottom, U-shaped mount, then through the lower arm, then screws into the threaded other side of the struts bottom, U-shaped mount. Are you saying the KYB uses a bigger bolt, so you need to enlarge the hole in the lower arm? I'm using the same KYB-GR2's on my '89, and did not have to change anything.

Vanilla Sky
06-10-2005, 07:31 PM
i'd just push the bushing back there out...fixes that problem

Rendon LX-i
06-10-2005, 07:38 PM
NOoooo. lol. Okay i was trying to take off the strut mounting bolt but the head broke off.soooo i used a penut grider and cut off the strut mount ITSELF so i can remove the strut so i can have room to work. SO i drilled were the strut mouting bolt is at meaning trying to drill it out. But instead of taking it out i drilled a hole thew it. but now it needs to be bigger so i can put THEN NEW STRUT MOUNTING BOLT. hopefully better.

Vanilla Sky
06-10-2005, 08:03 PM
exactly... when you replace that bushing, you will have a new metal insert, thus solving the problem

Rendon LX-i
06-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Looks like a pain in the ass thou. how much does it run for that bushing

Rendon LX-i
06-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Ok is there a certain way to take that bushing out IM trying right now. im trying to take out the rubber and then slice it and tap it out. out how do u get the rubber out. please any help would be cool

Robs89LXi
06-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Go to your local Autozone, and check out the ball joint press (not puller). It is a large "C"-clamp type tool that is used to press out ball joints, but will work real good for what you are trying to do, and it will be free.

Oldblueaccord
06-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Ok is there a certain way to take that bushing out IM trying right now. im trying to take out the rubber and then slice it and tap it out. out how do u get the rubber out. please any help would be cool

Burn it out with a propane torch stinky messy but it works.

wp

Rendon LX-i
06-11-2005, 05:53 PM
i'll try that sounds easy. and i try that ball joint puller. i went napa they have to order the bushing for 20 bucks each that aint bad. thanks guy i'll let u know how it goes. thanks again

Robs89LXi
06-11-2005, 06:00 PM
i'll try that sounds easy. and i try that ball joint puller. i went napa they have to order the bushing for 20 bucks each that aint bad. thanks guy i'll let u know how it goes. thanks again

Not puller; press.

Rendon LX-i
06-11-2005, 06:45 PM
wow. that propane torch worked liked a champ. Now that the rubber is gone i can take out the metal part out. thanks. again.

Vanilla Sky
06-11-2005, 09:32 PM
and this also gives you new bushings under there, so that will help the ride out some, also

Rendon LX-i
06-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Is it oright to put hardware bolts to replace the factory ones. i have that on my washer trick. they havent broken at all. so i would figure using the same bolts which is 8.8 is okay. has anyone used any other bolt to replace the factory one if u have broken it like i did.Thanks

spades27
06-12-2005, 04:52 AM
i got a quick question

ok the rear strut maountting bolt has a nut is the nut welded on to the strut mount i ask cuz mine is seezed and if i brake it i dont want to drill it out

Vanilla Sky
06-12-2005, 06:36 AM
don't use such a low grade bolt for suspension, including the washer adjustment. go buy yourself some 12.8 grade hardware. 8.8 will shear off.

and no, it's a loose bolt with a loose nut on the other end.

A20A1
06-13-2005, 03:11 AM
My coil is soo off of it's top-hat... I gotta add new zipties to hold it in place.

spades27
06-15-2005, 07:49 AM
Vanilla Sky don't use such a low grade bolt for suspension, including the washer adjustment. go buy yourself some 12.8 grade hardware. 8.8 will shear off.

thanks for the info

so if i snap it off all i got to do is hammer the rest out

Rendon LX-i
06-24-2005, 09:45 PM
Well I got my Bushings In Took fucking 2 months but got em in. Help with the crew here on 3geez. I used a Propane Torch to melt the bushing out then i cut a slice into the shell and then i got it out and used a punch to tap it out and came out like butter. the new bushing just put some grease and pop in with a socket and a 5 pound hammer with 10 hits. But thanks Oh i also have the part number cuz i went to napa and it was the cheapest place i found

Napa Chassis:
Precision Engineered
Part #261-3049

Thats if anyone needs to find a bushing for there car if they got a sezed bolt and shit. AND NO U DONT REPEAT DONT HAVE TO TAKE YOUR HUB AND PRESS IT OUT. Its easy doing this U just need time and not to get pissed. Well thanks again.