PDA

View Full Version : Alarm system for 5-speed?

Robs89LXi
06-11-2005, 01:45 AM
Okay, never messed with alarms before, so consider me a newbie. I'm wanting to get a good alarm system for my '89 LXi, 5-speed, and like the ones that have the LCD type remotes. Problem is that all the ones I've looked at (online) say they are for automatics only. So, two questions:

1. Will they still work with standards, except maybe just lose auto-start feature or something like that?
2. Are there any good LCD remote types that work with standards?

My musts are:
Reliable
Control auto locks (yeah, will install)
LCD remote, preferably w/ vibrate
Thanks.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
06-11-2005, 07:31 AM
If you don't use the remote-start feature, you won't have to worry about the auto/5-speed compatibility issues. This auto-only requirement is there to prevent accidents if a 5-speed car is left in gear. Sorry, can't recommend much in the specific brands. I installed an older Alpine alarm in my Accord and it hasn't given me any problems. That's about as much as I can recommend in that department. Hope this helps you.

Robs89LXi
06-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Thanks, Rus. Yeah, I kinda figured they were just refering to the remote start, and no, I don't need that function. Appreciate the help.

Legend_master
06-11-2005, 03:17 PM
I dont really know the price range you are going for, but there is a brand that actually mounts a camera in the car and takes a picture of the crimnal as they get in the car along with all the other features as the regular alarms have. Here is the site Asian Wolf (http://www.asianwolf.com/) . Hope this helps

P.S. my friend has one of the alarms you are speaking of and he has a five speed with auto start. His car use to be an auto so this feature works on his car, but if you ahve a newer 5-speed you cannot use it because the clutch must be pushed in.

Robs89LXi
06-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Wow, they sure have come along way, eh? No, I don't need anything that fancy, but thanks for the link. They have some other ones that sound more along the lines I'm looking for though. Do you have any experience with them? I want a reputable brand that is reliable.

BlueBead
06-11-2005, 07:40 PM
I've heard good things about Compustar Alarms, they have those LCD paging remotes that tell you what is going on with your ride. I've been looking at getting one, but there is no point spending the dough until my bodywork is done

w00tw00t111
06-12-2005, 12:03 AM
I would say to go to a alarm installer that is know for "custom" installs. I bought mine on line and I have a standard but I also have remote start. What they do is disable the clucth having to be in for the car to start. If you go to a good shop I.e not best buy that knows what they are doing you won't have a problem.
If you need an alarm just pm me.

TJ89Accord
06-12-2005, 05:50 AM
Get a Compustar. I have one in my Civic (just for the remote start, nobody would steal my POS). It gets GREAT range and is a 2way system. Designed for a 5-speed or auto. IT's very easy to get around the clutch having to be pushed in, it's just a switch at the end of the clutch pedal, you either cut the 2 wires and connect them and disable it permanantly (like I did cuz I was lazy), or you can have the remote starter show one of the wires ground while it is remote starting. Sorry if this is making no sense, but I just woke up and only got like 3 hours of sleep.

tim

Hash_man_Se_i
06-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Ummm lol... good thing people know how to install those things properly ^^

With the compustar remote starters they are designed to work with a 5spd, you have to set it up a certain way, and when you get out of your vehicle you have to do something with the ebrake, and have the car in nuetral or it wont start, which makes sense, real proper installers know this.

I use a compustar 2w8000fmas alarm, starter combo. It has 5000 ft of range and works awesome, Yes it is a bit more then some of those no name brands on the internet, but even their AM 2way setup still works awesome and is a lot less money.

I would definately reccomend a compustar, but most importantly find a really good installer in your area, any alarm can suck if the installer does a poor job of installing it.

TJ89Accord
06-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Ummm lol... good thing people know how to install those things properly ^^

With the compustar remote starters they are designed to work with a 5spd, you have to set it up a certain way, and when you get out of your vehicle you have to do something with the ebrake, and have the car in nuetral or it wont start, which makes sense, real proper installers know this.

There is a loop wire on the brain box. You cut it for an auto, leave it for a manual. Wire to the ebrake and door triggers, when you park, pull the ebrake, take foot off brakes, turn the key off and get out, the car will stay running until you shut the door. After you do this, you can remote start it, if anyone opens a door you wont be able to remote start it.

Hey check out www.the12volt.com there is lots of info on there. Very good site!

tim

w00tw00t111
06-12-2005, 07:53 PM
W/ my remote start all you have to do is turn off put in neutral and pull the ebrake. (not in any order) it has 1/4 mile distance and is two way. I honestly did not know how much I would use the remote start but, I use it every time I go to get in my car.

catalin
06-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Definately the Compustar system Rob!

www.compustar.org