PDA

View Full Version : off throttle sputtering (LXI automatic)

possum
06-12-2005, 08:48 AM
My 88 LXI automatic sputters sometimes when I am off the throttle and going down a hill. If I touch the gas a little, the spuddering stops. It only seems to happen when off the throttle. Oddly the car idles fine when I stop, and there are no problems with acceleration. Additionaly, when the sputter happens and I shift into neutral the car doesnt sputter anymore.

The car was tuned up 2 years ago ( less than 22k miles ago). The plugs, cap, and rotor should be fine. Perhaps the air filter and fuel filter might be a tad dirty, but my experience suggests the latter would only cause acceleration problems or top end problems. my gas mileage is fine.

ideas?

Oldblueaccord
06-12-2005, 05:31 PM
My 88 LXI automatic sputters sometimes when I am off the throttle and going down a hill. If I touch the gas a little, the spuddering stops. It only seems to happen when off the throttle. Oddly the car idles fine when I stop, and there are no problems with acceleration. Additionaly, when the sputter happens and I shift into neutral the car doesnt sputter anymore.

The car was tuned up 2 years ago ( less than 22k miles ago). The plugs, cap, and rotor should be fine. Perhaps the air filter and fuel filter might be a tad dirty, but my experience suggests the latter would only cause acceleration problems or top end problems. my gas mileage is fine.

ideas?

there some deal with the ECU cuts power to the injectors on coast type conditions you discribe. Read up on it in the book. I think thats the surging that people feel. Its an old injection system remeber so they had some fine tuning to do.

wp

AZmike
06-12-2005, 05:42 PM
When the throttle is closed and the engine is above 1200 rpm the injectors are shut off completely.

DBMaster
06-13-2005, 11:42 AM
I get the same kind of fluctuation at times when it is hot outside. It never happens when it's below 80 degrees. I had it checked by the local Honda dealer and by a good Honda mechanic and neither could find anything wrong. I wonder sometimes if it could be related to the very high mileage transmission. Since I tried everything I knew and had it looked at by the so-called experts I had to learn to live with it.