PDA

View Full Version : Weird Stereo Installation Problem -Pls. Help

LXlimited
06-12-2005, 08:12 PM
i was wondering if you guys can help me with my problem. i was trying to replace my 99 honda civic stereo in my 1987 honda accord with a pioneer head unit. i removed the civic stereo & plug in the pioneer head unit. it did not turn on. i checked all the wire connections & all connections are good. thinking that my pioneer head unit was bad, i plugged the civic stereo back but it did not turn on as well. i tightened all the connections but nothing happened. when i plugged in my stock cassette radio, it worked fine. what do you guys is the problem? did i blow a fuse? all electronic equipment in the car is working. i appreciate anyone who could help me on this weird problem.

Sabz5150
06-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Did you by chance blow the fuse in the headunit(s)? It's usually located near the harness connector.

LXlimited
06-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Did you by chance blow the fuse in the headunit(s)? It's usually located near the harness connector.

no, i did not. i tested the pioneer head unit in my friend's accord & it worked fine. anymore ideas?

3gn86lxi
06-12-2005, 09:25 PM
You may need to find a different power source. Could also be bad ground, it may use a different oem power than aftermarket.
If I remember when I installed my Alpine I had to find a new power wire.

TheWatcher
06-12-2005, 09:36 PM
You need to get a harness kit for the Pioneer to work. You can't just plug it into the stock harness and expect it to work. :lol:

If you are still lost, go to a car audio store and have them install it.

Peace.

3gn86lxi
06-12-2005, 09:42 PM
They don't make a harness for our cars watcher. You have to find power, ground, and all the speaker wires the hard way.
And yes, you can't just plug it into the factory harness and expect it to work!

TheWatcher
06-12-2005, 10:25 PM
They don't make a harness for our cars watcher. You have to find power, ground, and all the speaker wires the hard way.
Crutchfield has one.

Why didn't you get the place that sold you the HU to install it???

Or is this HU from ebay. :rolleyes: Or jy. :lol:

Peace.

LXlimited
06-12-2005, 10:26 PM

they do make wiring harness for our cars. i got it at best buy. and yes, i know that its not going to work with the factory harness that's why i bought the wiring harness! i was able to get it work the first time i connected it with just the battery, accessory, illumination, ground & rear speaker wires connected. its really weird why both units won't work anymore.

TheWatcher
06-12-2005, 10:38 PM
no, i did not. i tested the pioneer head unit in my friend's accord & it worked fine. anymore ideas?

Well, if you're using a harness kit, and the HU works, the problem must somewhere in your car. You're just going to have to use a multimeter and test everything, starting with the wiring harness.

Have fun. :)

Or you can take it to a car audio shop and let them solve your problem.

Peace.

LXlimited
06-13-2005, 08:41 PM
thanks for all your opinions! it turns out that i blew the clock/ecu fuse. i replaced it & it works now.

halxi
06-13-2005, 08:52 PM

Funny, if they dont make a harness for our cars... why does almost every member here have an aftermarket deck?

Its good thing you found the problem and fixed it, but the Clock fuse? I thought u said all the electronics were working. (except the HU)

TheWatcher
06-13-2005, 10:56 PM
i was wondering if you guys can help me with my problem. i was trying to replace my 99 honda civic stereo in my 1987 honda accord with a pioneer head unit. i removed the civic stereo & plug in the pioneer head unit. it did not turn on. i checked all the wire connections & all connections are good. thinking that my pioneer head unit was bad, i plugged the civic stereo back but it did not turn on as well. i tightened all the connections but nothing happened. when i plugged in my stock cassette radio, it worked fine. what do you guys is the problem? did i blow a fuse? all electronic equipment in the car is working. i appreciate anyone who could help me on this weird problem.
I'm glad you solved your problem and it was something easy like a fuse. But if it was the fuse, why did the stock cassette radio work? The stock cassette radio should NOT have worked either. Oh, well.

Peace.

LXlimited
06-13-2005, 11:16 PM
i just noticed this morning that the clock keeps resetting itself when i start the engine. also the stock cassette radio works but doesn't retain the presets. the stock cassette radio works for some reason. the ecu/clock fuse has some type of memory or battery back-up for both clock & radio.

drdave12
06-14-2005, 05:23 PM
sounds like you might have blown another fuse.
there are 2 wires that should be of concern... there is a constant power wire and an accessory wire. the constant power wire should have power all the time, and the accessory wire should have power with the key in the on / run / accessory positions (not start or key off).

there may be 2 fuses ( you should use a test light to check all the fuses in your car)

hook the ground clip to a REAL ground, and then probe each side of each fuse. (there are little metal tabs the are on the back of the fuses) each fuse should test the same on each side (ex: if one side has power, the other side should have power too)

unfortunately, sometimes looking at a fuse doesnt tell you the whole story. :sad2:

~ Dave

POS carb
06-22-2005, 02:56 PM
probably the fuse
if you can't figure it out try getting a wiring harness for a 90-93 accord it's the same only with a few extra wires

PortugalFocus
06-23-2005, 07:22 AM
Yeah definately the constant (yellow) wire is not constantly getting power or a fuse is blow. If the clock and presets reset the radio does not have the requires voltage to keep them. Check the yellow wire coming off of the headunit and see if there are any wires coming from the main body harness that have power while the car is off. Easiest wa to find out is get a test light.