PDA

View Full Version : wanting advise on amp/subs

acco-R-d
06-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Has anybody ever heard of or used these brands http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4950&item=5781426601&rd=1 . this seems like a good deal, but ive never heard of them.

halxi
06-13-2005, 08:49 PM
For the most part, stay away from anything youve never heard of.

If youre not super serious about sound, some Alpine Type S, or even Type R subs would do the job. Just stay away from sony and unkown stuff.

Vanilla Sky
06-14-2005, 01:09 AM
looks craptacular to me. stay far away. i'd spring for some much better drivers, and a somewhat better amp. i'm big on infinity drivers. lots of driver for the money. for amps, there are lots of really good brands out there. IMO, outside of reliability, all mid-range amps are about the same. just remember that if you can buy it at wal-mart, it's not mid-range.

Cheeseburger
06-14-2005, 05:09 AM
For the most part, stay away from anything youve never heard of.

If youre not super serious about sound, some Alpine Type S, or even Type R subs would do the job. Just stay away from sony and unkown stuff.

whats wrong with sony :huh: i got sony all around in my car and it has worked and sounds fine SONY = :thumbup:

Vanilla Sky
06-14-2005, 06:35 AM
they charge too much for what you get. you pay for mid to high-level products and get low-level products. sony was gret up until the introduction of the x-plod line.

MrBen
06-14-2005, 08:44 AM
JL audio is great, the absolute best I've heard. I used to have a w6 and loved it. It's sitting in storage now though.

jigga225
06-14-2005, 02:29 PM
on a budget? get some memphis PR subs.
Great price and great power handling on a budget.

drdave12
06-14-2005, 05:43 PM
sony x-plod amps live up to there name.

i used to work at a local stereo shop and ive replaced more sony amps than anything else.

they used capacitors from some company that went out of business because they used to build up to much pressure inside and X-PLOD... unfortunately.

If it wasnt for the capacitors inside the amps blowing up, the amps are good.

just my $0.02

~ Dave :uh:

Vanilla Sky
06-14-2005, 05:52 PM
what company, drdave?

HaShfIeNd
06-22-2005, 02:03 AM
lol @ sony.. sony does not make very good speakers in general...

you know the new kicker comp c124's i saw online for like 50-60 bucks a piece.. they are 300 max 150w rms but they sound very nice.. mine also came with a nice kicker box.. a box is very important thing to be thinking about when getting subs -- they also add some price for the better ones.

sony x-plod amps live up to there name.

i used to work at a local stereo shop and ive replaced more sony amps than anything else.

they used capacitors from some company that went out of business because they used to build up to much pressure inside and X-PLOD... unfortunately.

If it wasnt for the capacitors inside the amps blowing up, the amps are good.

just my $0.02

~ Dave :uh:

88accordalltheway
06-22-2005, 07:27 AM
get your self a pair of infinity refrence 10s and a kenwood 800-900 watt amp. These companies always have some of the best rms numbers, which is awesome for the price of their products. Oh yea, for wireing, your going to want to go either rockford fosgate or monster(the only thing is, moster wiring is hard to find).

HaShfIeNd
06-23-2005, 11:47 AM
i like quality over quantity, although those arn't the worst brands. i dont mind kenwood really at all, but it is important to remember when buying a sub/amps. quality over quantity.

acco-R-d
06-23-2005, 05:07 PM
well wat would yall saw is the best buy on a budget. somethin between $100-$250?

2drSE-i
06-23-2005, 05:32 PM
lol thats not much of a sound budget......but bestbuy was sellings those 2 12" Dual subs in a bandpass box for 150.....supposedly 1000 watts

i had a friend who had those, and traded for 1 pioneer 12"......said the pioneer pounded just as, if not better than the Duals.

Vanilla Sky
06-23-2005, 06:40 PM
1. does it have to come from best buy?
2. is that installed?
3. is that just for subs and enclosure, or does that include the amp as well?

HaShfIeNd
06-24-2005, 12:37 AM
those the blue ones that light up? i know someone that has those, i wouldn't push them to hard though... maybe the ones they had were defective, but they didn't last to long... they wern't even being pushed hard when they died :\ but, on the good side, they just went back to best buy and got a new pair... they dont sound HOORRRRIBLE, but... you pretty much get what you pay for heh.
*EDIT*
that also comes with the dual box i believe, they light up blue i think? and they enclosed in the box so they are protected i guess from being poked and things rubbing on them and what not.. its not a bad deal for the price really.

i think you need to go through best buy to get the package deal or whatever?

and i dont think thats installed..

1. does it have to come from best buy?
2. is that installed?
3. is that just for subs and enclosure, or does that include the amp as well?

2drSE-i
06-24-2005, 06:07 AM
no, pepboys has them too, no its not installed, but they install anything for free if you buy a headunit, and no it doesnt include an amp
i believe they used to have a deal that if u bought any car stuff over 150 $ theyd install it for free, but i dont think they do that anymore

but for two decent 12" subs (not the greatest, look at the price) and a damn good box, id say it was worth it. they are rated for 1000w peak, rms is only like 500 or so, i wudnt push them much over 400

AccordEpicenter
06-24-2005, 06:47 AM
im not a big fan of sony lately. Ive had kicker comps (the newer versions) and slammed about 625wrms into them daily (i think they are 300 rms) and never had a problem. They sounded decent too. It is very true that you get what you pay for with car audio, and the system is only as good as its weakest link, so if you get the best subs in the world, and then get a shitty amp, itll sound like ass

Vanilla Sky
06-24-2005, 12:03 PM
true, but i'd spend more on drivers than an amp.

HaShfIeNd
06-24-2005, 02:15 PM
im not a big fan of sony lately. Ive had kicker comps (the newer versions) and slammed about 625wrms into them daily (i think they are 300 rms) and never had a problem. They sounded decent too. It is very true that you get what you pay for with car audio, and the system is only as good as its weakest link, so if you get the best subs in the world, and then get a shitty amp, itll sound like ass

nice i have some kicker comps to.. mine are only 300 max though 150 rms.. i have two of them bridged in the box so they are actually only getting 75rms a piece with my phoenix gold 150 rms 250 max amp. but damn. those things still drop hard. that setup you could get for like 300 bucks i bet if you went online. though i only paid 75 for my amp.

i'm going to buy a xenon i think they are? mono amp 400rms to power those suckers.. and use my PG 2 channel octane-R and get some crossover/component speakers and have it push my 6x9's or something.
but i think i've said that like a couple times in a couple threads LOL...
but kicker comps.. great for the price.. mine are only like 50-60 each online +shipping i suppose.. but dont forget the box!