PDA

View Full Version : Alternator removal?

NeoCloud
06-15-2005, 04:01 AM
I got the alternator off the bracket,but of course it won't come out without removing the bracket for it on the bottom.The bolts are frozen on,so I am waiting while wd40 loosens it up for me.Am I doing this right is my question?Also I was trying to pull my brake resevior on the master brake cylinder,to see if maybe i could squeeze the alternator through there,but the nuts on the lines that go in it won't come off.I would hate to think that I need a 3 foot ratchet breaker bar to get the bracket bolts off for the bottom of the alternator bracket so I can get it out of the engine bay.

nswst8
06-15-2005, 04:07 AM
Carb or EFI, if its EFI just pull the air box off the throttle body and the alternator will slide right through.

NeoCloud
06-15-2005, 04:45 AM
Carb or EFI, if its EFI just pull the air box off the throttle body and the alternator will slide right through.
That is my problem,it is carb!,lol.

88Accord-DX
06-15-2005, 04:54 AM
When I took my alternator off, I had to pull it up behind the intake manifold through the other side of the engine, then out the top. You have to take loose some hose & linkage on the firewall. (heater linkage thing) Take off the air filter on carburetor to help moving around.

NeoCloud
06-15-2005, 05:02 AM
Ill go try that now,even though I allready did yesterday,but removing some lines might help.I was figuring under through the bottom by the driver side wheel by the bracket for the alternator by removing the bracket,but it wouldn't come off.Thanks.

powderkey2
06-15-2005, 05:51 AM
I've removed 2 alts by sliding it out on the lower side of the firewall...then up over tranny and out the top (you do have to remove a couple of hoses/vaccum thingy lol). I jacked up the front end so I could do some of wiggling from below and that helped...just takes a little time and patience but it will come out and go back the same way.

smufguy
06-15-2005, 06:45 AM
NeoCloud, the bottom bracket of the alternator is bolted in by the 14mm bolt that should be loosened first and tightened last. REmove that nut and the bolt slides out. Loosen the tensioner on the top and try to move the alternator. then go under the car, use a heavy screw driver and pry the bottom of the alternator out of the bracket. There are two solid washers that go on both sides of the bottom bracket to hold the alternator in and when they get rusted, they prevent the alternator from budging. so give it some nudging ;). then u can roll the alternator towards the tranny side and get it from there.

NeoCloud
06-15-2005, 06:56 AM
Thanks,I did the 1st part allready a long time ago,removing the long bolt in the bottom hole of the bracket.I meant remove the bracket from the block above the oil pan.I also have more problems besides those two 14mm bolts on the alternator bracket.The other way you guys told me,to remove it from the left side firewall by the hoses,by removing the hoses.The clmaps for the hoses on the firewall are rusted on really good,and wd40,air ratchet,or electric drill wont get it off.The alternator has been loose inside of the engine bay for 3 days now,lol.I am either going to have to cut the hose clamps off and might have to replace the hoses if I try to pry them off.-Update,pryed off,actually pulled really hard on the bottom hose with the cable on it after taking off the 10mm bolt on the bracket,without taking the hose clamp off,and to my surprise it came right off,and radiator fluid leaked all over.I didn't really care about that beacuse I GOT THE F'ING ALTERNATOR OUT!!!!,lol.FREAKING FINALLY,after wiggling it all the way across the firewall to the left side,then removing that hose,and pulling it out so hard I fell on my ass,lol.I only removed the bottom hose and not the top one,because it wouldnt come off by the firewall.But neither did the other one,I took it off where the cable thingy is. -Update,I can't get the bottom bracket on the bottom of the new alternator,I got the top tensioner and the belt on,but the freakin bottom bracket seems too narrow for the bottom of the alternator.On one side of the bracket,the hole looks like a washer might be sticking out or on it still,and the other side is flush.The first side I mentioned has something sticking out like a washer on the inside bracket hole.Please answer as soon as you guys can,if there is a washer on the inside bracket hole on the hole that you attach the 14mm nut to the bolt that threads through the other bracket hole first.?