PDA

View Full Version : PROJECT , SUPERCHARGER ( FyreDaug )

FyreDaug
06-15-2005, 01:05 PM
This summer I'm gonna have a couple grand to spend and being the type of person I am, I have to spend it on an engine and I know some of you are gonna think this is stupid, but its different, and they are my plans. So dont knock them, bear with me and help me out please. Or dont reply, I dont want this thread to turn into some noob war with "with that money you can drop in a b16". or "might aswell go FI and turbo that bitch". No

So now that that is clear, heres the plans:
*Depending on the condition of the block I have yet to pull it may be bored 30 over, if the out of round is decent and honing can cure it, thats as far as I will go.
*Converted to a dry sump oil system
*Solid motor mounts
Completely rebuilt with 10.5 pistons *forged rods* and a balanced crank, because I'm sure its capable of holding up to 300hp.
*Fairly wild headwork on both intake and exhaust, going a little more than an average port job, but not by much obviously.
*Cam from comp cams stage 2
*Doubt I will deck the head, but if its neccesary I will (doubtful still)
*Custom intake manifold with runners tuned at 4200rpmish
*4bbl carb (not sure of which vehicle it will be off, but small v8 more than likely, so I dont drown it out too much)
*150 wet shot nitrous kit, with the wet coming from an external fuel cell carrying 127octane racing fuel only
*Custom exhaust 2.25" near-mandrel (how I can mandrel bend myself which is very close, I lose maybe 7% during the bend from doing it my way with sand), from a custom 4-1 header into 2 long resonators. Hopefully no muffler, but loud will be ok.
*Valve train will be very well done up aswell, again no research on this part yet. But not upping the stock redline, so I dont have to worry too much
*Lightened flywheel, either shaving on mine (which would be best) or an aftermarket one, and if I go aftermarket I will end up making it even harder on myself by getting a super light one.
*As for a clutch I'm undecided, anything with atleast 125% more friction than stock, so recommendations welcome

Also with the exhaust Ive developed a ram air type system for the exhaust, where basically the air gets rammed into the exhaust from a front "cold inlet" intake of 3" diamter going into the end of the exhaust, where the tip would be (which is going to be side exit, not going around the rear axle) to create a vacuum throughout the exhaust because of the high pressure entering the system near the end, with a 4" exit (split into 2 2" on each side to not look too agressive and try to hide it) the 2.25" part of the system will be low vacuum during higher speeds. Which by theory helps top end exhaust scavenging(sp)

I had initial plans of using an eaton m90 charger through a carb but with 7psi boost all the time I will reduce reliablilty for a daily driver. This car will be rough enough as a daily.

***NOTE*** *- Not sure about forged rods, I havent done any searching on that yet, so I dont know what (if any) is available for an a20 motor.

So as for the questions:
1) What is the stock crank rated for?
2) Stock rods?
3) What other options for cams do I have? Comp cams gave me a reasonable price on a re-grind, but any other options to check out would be awesome
4) What other pistons besides wiseco and diamond can I get? (I'm considering diamond, because of the price, and wiseco quoted me too much)

Any other questions will be posted as a new post

A20A1
06-15-2005, 02:10 PM
I would go for the custom built cam made by the company in the UK someone posted.
Other then that you're stuck with regrinds, you may want to look in the marketplace for used regound cams I know carrotman was selling the JG cam.

My friend uses sand and a torch to bend pipe, but it takes a long azz time.
As for your exhaust design... as long as the tip can get air flow past it with the side exit you'll help pull out gasses, I wouldn't add extra weight by adding more piping just to help pull out exhaust. I know POWERTONE made a tip or special muffler that was said to help draw out gasses... but I've never seen one tested and their website is down. With an up-turned tip on a rear exit that opened near the top of the rear bumper you could use more of the drag created from the car to help draw out gasses. I think that'll work too but then it's more bends and more pipe.

SC is such a pain IMO, but it's nice to think about and work out the bugs on paper and such just for future enthusiasts.I'm interested to see the header and the 4bbl manifold. I still need to complete mine. I think you'll do fine without nitrous for a while... I wouldn't throw that in till the rest of the motor is built and running.

AccordEpicenter
06-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Deltacam still does regrinds i think, and they are real cheap. Get an aluminum flywheel or some kind of lightweight flywheel. Lightened stock units can become explosion hazards if too much material is removed. Any good piston company, like arias, je, wiseco etc will make you custom pistons but they will cost you more than the diamond pistons. You can use the stock rods for nitrous, but i would shot peen them and use good rod bolts. Stock crank is forged/nitrided etc, probably good for a rediculous amount of power, as is the block (think like 500+hp) Sounds like quite a build though.

Vanilla Sky
06-15-2005, 03:37 PM
i think i'd go with a pair of weber DCOE carbs over a 4 barrel carb any day of the week, especially if you plan on boosting.

b8er
06-15-2005, 04:42 PM
sounds like this is gonna be quite the project and i like it, hope to hear back from you lots, keep us updatded on what your doing, what your gonna do and any problems yuo come across

FyreDaug
06-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Ofcourse I'll keep you guys updated, im loving this community. Much better than the sunfire j body forums where its all a bunch of noob picking.

Anyways, it wont be boosted. I had tons and tons of plans with a pull through carb setup but I ditched it because I want decent daily power (150hp with the full build?) and spraying a rediculous amount but making sure the engine can handle it. If I build the engine so its capable of 300hp with a turbo all the time, spraying 150 should be a walk in the park for it.

I will draw my exhaust design idea and scan it for you guys later, but no promises on times because im busy today.

Flywheel where can I get one? Preferabbly cheap, or used or something. If its aftermarket I want it ridiculously light. I get a company car for my job now (courier) so I dont have to worry about my own vehicle for driving all the time. The pain in the ass driving will be made up for amount of power I have at my fingertips.

Im kind of skeptical about using the dcoe webers when I can use 1 carb that will flow the same amount it will be cheaper (since I need to skimp out on some parts with all the internals), 30 bucks from a wrecker and a 30$ rebuild kit and Im set.

Also a couple mroe things that will be done to the car: KEEPING power steering, no ac. Brakes will be upgraded slightly with my own custom work (as I will be testing out this summer) and alot of weight reduction will be done. There will be a 1bar rollbar between the front and rear doors and a custom sunroof built in just before the bar.
I already have a full PC running the sound system in my car, powered by a home theater amp and a 12" Type R sub with MB Quart premiums up front. (Soon to be a full 6.1, like the amp is capable of) running optical signal off of audigy 2. [I know its not related, just wanted to brag ;)]

As for the transmission I will build a hybrid one with the.... prelude? Cant remember, havent researched it yet. And an LSD in there (very much so needed with everything else done to the car)

And by the way, the nitrous wont be in the motor until its broken in for atleast 2000km, just make sure everything is seated properly and its broken in properly. Hate to see this investment blow on me because Im an idiot. Plus the temptation to double the horsepower on the spot would be too much for at the time :D

I'll start drawing my exhaust idea right now.

Any good piston company, like arias, je, wiseco etc will make you custom pistons but they will cost you more than the diamond pistons.
Yeah, why is that? Diamond is awesome in my books, forged pistons is all I need, and with 10.5:1 I can still run cheap ass 87 octane for the street.

Any recommendations for valve train upgrades? I dont think I need anything too drastic if it wont rev past 7700ish (fuel and spark cut), but just incase I want to get it up to 8000 I wanna make sure it can handle it.

About the block: Would boring 30 over be too much of a risk for a high power motor? If the block is as strong as some people are suggesting I might just go for it. (Assuming diamond makes 10.5 30 over)

This car is gonna be a fun project, its gonna look totally stripped, flat black with either 14" wheels painted flat black or just black steelies with proxes T1R's wrapped on em.

I'm actually working on taking out a loan for this project (plus I got a 3$/hr raise yesterday, im pretty pumped).... ok enough rambling, onto the exhaust.

FyreDaug
06-17-2005, 11:10 AM
Exhaust Idea (http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/808000-808999/808617_17_full.jpg)

EDIT: Im looking up some different nitrous kits I can get and theres too many different ones, I figured NX and NOS were the only 2 good ones, but Ive seen some other ones around the same price range. What would you guys suggest for a 150wet system? I'm still a noob to nitrous, but I understand the basics of it. Ive got plenty of time to learn more about it but for now Im asking for recommendations for systems to read up on. Still thinking NX though. :rice:

FyreDaug
06-17-2005, 01:59 PM
150 wet?

FyreDaug
07-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Anyways, no use making a new topic but what I've changed in my plans are to ditch the dry sump oil system, its gonna cost way too much, and Ive got some other stuff with money I have to deal with first. I'll just make the oil pan a little larger and clean the oil passages really good, its good enough.

A couple other things Im doing aswell are upgrades disc brakes all around, 13" rotors 15" rims, painted black. Finishing the body work lately, trunk and back doors are almost done. The whole car will be painted flat black without a clear coat. So its a dark car. Rat rod like. Not going too overboard on the body work, im just getting rid of the rust, any little grooves that I messed up in with the body work I'm leaving, unless it can be an aerodynamic imperfection I dont want the body to look super good. I'm meant to be quick representing the A20 and not neccesarily look good. (not degrading its look)

Getting mirrors from a 4gee accord on both sides because they look much better, and it will be nice to have mirrors on both sides. Doing that tomorrow.

Interior wont be too drastic, a couple mods of my own, with digital gauges here and there. My 15" screen molded in the dash and steering wheel controls (new wheel). Racing seats, roll bar and 4pt harness.

2 big nitrous bottles will be mounted in the trunk on the sides, computer box/sub box and amp box will all be in the center of the trunk.

Not sure what else, everything is moving at its own pace, Ive got dynamat coming mon or tues, ,so I need to finish up the trunk before I put it all on.

EDIT: And with the brakes, upgraded cylinder, hopefully some nice feeling calipers and stainless steel lines aswell

3gn86lxi
07-02-2005, 08:48 PM
There's a $300 Nitrous Expess kit that'd work just fine.
Where? Do you know the part # on that kit?
What is the HP shot?

FyreDaug
07-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Which part number would you recommend off summit? I see a couple kits that could be used.

3gn86lxi
07-03-2005, 12:03 PM
On Summit. (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=Nitrous+Express+kit&x=0&y=0&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp)

You carb guys are lucky to have cheap kits like that.

I'm sure someone here can give you a hookup. =)
So that kit is for carburated motors?

FyreDaug
07-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Yeah its gonna run a 4bbl, thanks for the info cke

EDIT: What about 2x10lb bottles? Do they make adapters to have both hooked up at the same time? Mostly for looks to keep them both on the sides of the trunk

EDIT2: How accurate are the shots they are rated for? I dont wanna shoot 200 and end up going more than 225 and blowing shit up.

'A20A3'
07-05-2005, 10:03 AM
A internally built A20 would survive pushing way more than 300hp. Turbo that bitch afterwards. Look at ACT clutches. I recommend 2.5 inch piping if your tuning the head for better flow and you're modifing the intake runners. If you go turbo, go 3 inches. Enjoy. :)

Accordtheory
07-05-2005, 05:54 PM
A couple other things Im doing aswell are upgrades disc brakes all around, 13" rotors

How are you going to install 13" rotors?

FyreDaug
07-05-2005, 06:51 PM
13 was supposed to be 12 sorry, and Im planning it out, havent done anything regarding it yet.

Its only 2.25 because of my ram air exhaust idea. It should be more than sufficient. But if the theory doesnt work out properly on paper, I'll do 2.5 to be safe.

JordanQ
03-30-2009, 03:01 PM
"*150 wet shot nitrous kit, with the wet coming from an external fuel cell carrying 127octane racing fuel only"

:facepalm:

yeah good luck with that lol.

"yeah i'm gunna take my geo metro, stock internals, stock everything, never changed the oil before, it has 894,6723.09 miles on it, and bolt on 8 T25's and run a 19,000,000 shot on it. and maybe a body kit.

it should get like 465,723,2865 horsepower to the wheels."

A18A
03-30-2009, 03:15 PM
he's carbtarded. =\

lol

'A20A3'
03-30-2009, 03:16 PM
another old thread! :hsugh:

MessyHonda
03-30-2009, 07:34 PM
he never came back

89T
02-11-2012, 07:47 PM
I am bumping every old turbo thread. Is it running or gone.