PDA

View Full Version : mod info

Chuoiz
06-16-2005, 07:24 AM
first off, if i sound like a newb and shouldve used search, forgive me!!

Ok, wat mods am I lookin at if my goal is just to beat those stock fart cannoned civics?? I have an carbed 86 LX auto..

NXRacer
06-16-2005, 08:02 AM
use the search.

you probably wont be beating civics anytime soon with a carb'd 3g unless you plan on spending money.

Vanilla Sky
06-16-2005, 08:19 AM
get a weber carb, do a tune up, get a reground cam, a higher output fuel pump, and a header with a full exhaust. do some weight reduction (like your AC) and get some ligher wheels. running a smaller diameter tire will help in acceleration, but you're not going to have the top-end speed. seems like you're just wanting to out accelerate, so i don't think it's going to be much of a problem. if you're really ambitious, swap to a prelude trans, or even better, a hybrid teg/accord trans.

with all of that, you should be beating what i would consider "fart cannoned civics"

NXRacer
06-16-2005, 08:32 AM
you make a point derek. its not hard to beet a ricer auto civic. :D

Busted_Blue
06-16-2005, 12:36 PM
This Derek says why bother? You don't gain much PRIDE for beating a fart cannon civic let alone worth the effort to make that your goal unless the person is someone you absolutely hate.

Swap an EFI motor in and be done with it.

Chuoiz
06-16-2005, 01:25 PM
its not really my goal to beat civics just a certain amount of power out of my 3gee that I want, I have around under 2k to spend...so wat Im lookin at are efi conversion, full exhaust, weight reduction, fuel delivery, and a cam...anything else? limited funs

NXRacer
06-16-2005, 01:45 PM
2k could get you up and going pretty nicely. First thing would be an EFI conversion. that'll get you the most bang for your buck.

A20A1
06-16-2005, 01:49 PM
The auto will set you back off the line and may not pull you thru the top end... I still like auto even with it's quirks.

You could swap in a manual trans that would help, along with the EFI swap. Header and exhaust.

Chuoiz
06-16-2005, 03:48 PM
thanks for the info guys

AccordEpicenter
06-16-2005, 05:04 PM
i had an auto and now i have 5 speed... ill take the 5speed any day

gfrg88
06-16-2005, 06:44 PM
get an integra trans if your going to swap to 5speed

w00tw00t111
06-16-2005, 09:28 PM
My suggestion besides actual parts is to learn how to drive a manuel. And learn how to drive it well. As well as launching. I've beaten many civics just b/c they don't know how to launch or drive a manuel very well.

Chuoiz
06-16-2005, 10:07 PM
thanks for the suggestion woot, but I'm pretty good with manual...I've driven stick on 300zx, 2004 civics, and turbo gsr..

Chuoiz
06-16-2005, 10:08 PM
I guess my downfall is the auto and carb...I know shit about carbs...

Chuoiz
06-16-2005, 10:28 PM
wat other options do I have for headers?? I want something other than Pacesetter..

Busted_Blue
06-16-2005, 11:32 PM
wat other options do I have for headers?? I want something other than Pacesetter..

there is S&S headers, you can search about that. The only person on this forum that I know of that has it is strugglebucket.

2drSE-i
06-17-2005, 09:20 AM
if u spend a while looking, u can spend a little under $500 for a DC.....but good luck finding one

Versanick
06-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Weber carb conversion kit, IMO, would be better power improvement than an EFI conversion. Since a20s aren't hard to find, I'd wait until your motor goes a few years down the load and then go FI with a new one, if need.

If you don't know how to tinker with a carb, and can't find someone who does (shouldn't be hard to find someone, a friend or friend of a friend or whatever)... THEN I guess EFI's a better idea.

Headers are expensive.. the rest of the exhaust is a more important restrictive component. You can probably take your car to any shop and get a straight pipe done (if that works in your state... works here in NY) for under $200, and find a far greater gain (and cool sound) than a header.

A mild cam will help the weber find its niche. you'll be revving much harder in notime.

all that should be under $2000, especially if you do work yourself or with friends. I'd love to have a 4 carb intake.. but I don't have the gonads to get rid of my precious EFI. So I guess I shouldn't talk. But I'd go back and do it if I could.

Slipknotcraig133
06-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Go efi if your not sure about the carbs (if you stay carbed, there is plenty of info on here to help you out), do a teg tranny conversion (find all kinds of info about that), get a lightweight flywheel (check the market place under the lightweight flywheel poll like 5 pages long), get a cat back system with a high flow cat, a mild cam regrind, header, get some plugs, msd coil (or the coil of your choice), and some plug wires. That is probly over 2 grand but take one or two things off and you would be set.

Justin86
06-18-2005, 09:05 AM
ok first off do you have emissions cause that will limit you to your options esp if you don't swap to EFI. For a header pacesetter or S&S is your best bet, I can built you one that is better then both but it will cost a little more.
Everyone else has got it right, cam, tranny, small wheels, etc

FyreDaug
06-18-2005, 05:28 PM
If your lucky and know some turbo friends I bet you can get that converted to EFI and get a turbo on there if you do it yourself. It doesnt have to be a really good turbo, just find something at a wrecker and build stuff. Betcha thats less than 2000. But depends on the condition of your engine if you have potential or not to be faster than some civicis.