PDA

View Full Version : heater/vent controls don't work

Drache713
06-16-2005, 11:40 AM
i was reconnecting the cables for the two side vents and reconnecting the heater panel after soldering to make sure the led's came on, and now my car is stuck on defrost and won't switch over to any of the other settings. Anybody know how to fix this? the only electrical connections that I disconnected were the two underneath the steering wheel on that plastic piece you can take off, i didn't disconnect anything else. Could I have pulled on the cable that connects to the heater panel too hard and messed it up or what? help!

Drache713
06-16-2005, 05:08 PM
anybody? could it just be a bad soldering connection in the part of the controls that connects to the cable or something?

Mac
06-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Check fuse #5 in the under the dash fuse panel.

Drache713
06-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Check fuse #5 in the under the dash fuse panel.
nope, that fuse is fine. That's the fuse for the rear defroster anyways, what i'm talking about is it's stuck on defrost, the button next to vent hi-lo heat heat/def and all that. You can push in and select the other settings, but the actual air doesn't change from defrost.

frantik
06-17-2005, 04:26 AM
do the leds light up on the buttons when you press them down? sometimes in my car the leds stop lighting up and then no matter what button i press, the air stays on the last button pressed when the leds worked... i assume it's because it's not getting power so it wont switch to a new setting. if your leds are coming on then its not the same thing but perhaps the mechanical part that pulls the cables is still broken

Drache713
06-17-2005, 05:12 AM
do the leds light up on the buttons when you press them down? sometimes in my car the leds stop lighting up and then no matter what button i press, the air stays on the last button pressed when the leds worked... i assume it's because it's not getting power so it wont switch to a new setting. if your leds are coming on then its not the same thing but perhaps the mechanical part that pulls the cables is still broken
nope, all the led's light up fine, i truely have no idea what the problem is...

Drache713
06-17-2005, 06:44 AM
what's this mechanical part that pulls the cables you speak of?

Drache713
06-17-2005, 06:59 AM
forget me asking that, i found the part you spoke of, and sure enough that was the problem! thanks guys, you're fucking great!

loadder
01-29-2011, 08:17 AM
ok, i have same prob...dash vent stuck on, no led light up, wont switch to heat or defrost etc.. two days ago the blower would blow full blast, quit for a second or two, then back on, 3 days later quit all together, i need heat and for it to switch again, anyone know whats up ???, i have 3 3gs, all have some issues, would like to connects with the guru and get some stuff resolved

89 auto carb lx- very high idle 4k plus
88 lxi 5 speed- a/c and control quit
88 lxi auto, leakin water bad, might be freeze plug

love these cars, i will continue to drive them till i or them all die

Dr_Snooz
01-29-2011, 10:49 AM
The factory service manual is available here (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php). Troubleshooting for heater problems begins on p. 22-8. A/C troubleshooting begins on p. 23-6. Let us know what you learn.

Oldblueaccord
01-30-2011, 09:28 AM
ok, i have same prob...dash vent stuck on, no led light up, wont switch to heat or defrost etc.. two days ago the blower would blow full blast, quit for a second or two, then back on, 3 days later quit all together, i need heat and for it to switch again, anyone know whats up ???, i have 3 3gs, all have some issues, would like to connects with the guru and get some stuff resolved

89 auto carb lx- very high idle 4k plus
88 lxi 5 speed- a/c and control quit
88 lxi auto, leakin water bad, might be freeze plug

love these cars, i will continue to drive them till i or them all die

Check the fuse. if its blown the HVAC defaults to like defrost mode only and wont switch around.

The fan blower is fused thru a fusebox under the hood. I think its 40 amps. If its blowing that your introuble. Look at the wire esp the connection to the blower motor.

wp