PDA

View Full Version : ouch.. lots of work needed on da 88

frantik
06-17-2005, 11:29 AM
so i just got back from the mechanics.. apparently the exterior is practically the only thing that has been maintained very well :banghead:

a short list

the rear breaks have been adjusted wrong and werent even working
cheap, misfitting, and worn out shocks have damaged the front brake lines because brake lines are pulled taut
the clutch needs alignment
raditator is full of slimy yellow flakes instead of green radiator fluid :wtf:
radiator hoses crack when you squeeze em
cv boot cracked

oh man.. i was planning on replacing most of the fluids and filters and getting things adjusted and aligned.. but now to get the 3geezer in to shape it's gonna cost near the bluebook value.. luckily i got the car for free but deeam :beat:

MrBen
06-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Maybe its just me but I wouldn't be bitching about all that if you got the car for free.

Legend_master
06-17-2005, 11:51 AM
so i just got back from the mechanics.. apparently the exterior is practically the only thing that has been maintained very well :banghead:

a short list

the rear breaks have been adjusted wrong and werent even working
cheap, misfitting, and worn out shocks have damaged the front brake lines because brake lines are pulled taut
the clutch needs alignment
raditator is full of slimy yellow flakes instead of green radiator fluid :wtf:
radiator hoses crack when you squeeze em
cv boot cracked

oh man.. i was planning on replacing most of the fluids and filters and getting things adjusted and aligned.. but now to get the 3geezer in to shape it's gonna cost near the bluebook value.. luckily i got the car for free but deeam :beat:

really that's all regular maitanece for a car that old. I think you got out pretty cheap considering you dident pay for the car.

frantik
06-17-2005, 12:27 PM
yeah in the long run it's worth it... it's just a lot more than i was planning on dropping right now

AccordEpicenter
06-17-2005, 12:42 PM
most of that stuff is easy to fix.

frantik
06-17-2005, 01:01 PM
i'm sure the mechanic will be glad he's not working too hard :D i dont have tools or a spot to do the repairs so i wont be doing them. luckily i may be able to swap some of my web skills for their car skills :)

AccordEpicenter
06-17-2005, 04:09 PM
maybe you should buy tools, read up, and do shit yourself. Youll save alot of money especially on stuff like this.

frantik
06-17-2005, 04:44 PM
i dont even have a parking spot, let alone anything close to a place to work on a car. knowing myself, if i planned on doing it instead of taking it someplace, it would never get done or i'd fuck up something and then have to take it in anyways :rofl: i'm willing to do minor things but when theres a whole bunch of stuff to be done i might as well have it done by a professional, which i am definitely not

besides, if i can do some web work for them i'll save on labor so it'd be just like i did it myself only i can sit in front of my computer instead of under my car :D

NXRacer
06-17-2005, 05:06 PM
yeah dude, i'd be happy if i were you. those problems are nothing!

AccordEpicenter
06-17-2005, 07:00 PM
haha... ive done clutch swaps in the holiday inn parking lot... no lie

AccordEpicenter
06-17-2005, 08:14 PM
i changed a radiator hose in the kmart parking lot last week... my dad had one pop on him

frantik
06-24-2005, 10:15 PM
man after a week i finally got my car back :D got lots of new parts and stuff though:

new radiator & all new coolant hoses, related odds and ends
new oil & fuel filters
new distro rotor & cap
new ngk spark plugs & new ignition wire set
new cv boot
engine oil change, transmission oil change, brake fluid change, new antifreeze (well new radiator so obviously :D)
replaced random missing plugs, gasgets, etc

also had everything tuned, timed, adjusted and aligned..

didn't get to drive much yet since i got it back but i could tell right away the clutch and brakes are a lot different.. im not sure actually if i like the clutch pedal cause now it's all loose feeling and it doesnt fully disengage until i hit the floor and before it was much stiffer and you didnt have to push the pedal all the way down to disengage the clutch. im sure once i get used to it though it'll be no big deal

anyways yeah im excited about having my car back and hopefully with all the new and replaced parts i'll notice some improvement.. perhaps if it is just in fuel economy cause everything was running pretty well before hehe.

mykwikcoupe
06-25-2005, 12:30 AM
sounds improperly adjusted. Go out and spin the 12mm nut on the end of the clutch lever until it feels like you want it.

Ive done fuel pumps in albertsons parking lot. Maybe if you live near someone cool like ben did you may get an e-vite to have someone help you on your projects like ben did. I brought my tools and he bought the parts and we made a day of it. Nothing really just a few tie rods ends. Hopefully the still worked good when he sold the car. I hope.

Thats what I like about the board. everyone eagerness to help one another sometimes. Sigh. thats the perfect time for (Good ol nate) to chim in and start yelling at me agian. Oh the good times.

frantik
06-25-2005, 08:17 AM
yo thanks for the tip on that.. i started to get used to it a lil but i still dont like the excessive play at the top. i got my shop manual here hopefully i can at least do this myself to earn some 3geez cred :D

i drove her a lil last night and i noticed the rpms run lower at the same speeds so thats cool.. like i can get more mph out of each gear. i also noticed that each gear can go to lower mph without lugging. anyways yeah once i fix the clutch i think ill be real happy for the time being till i can work on the suspension