PDA

View Full Version : ignition fights starter (kind of like dieseling?)

POS carb
06-17-2005, 04:17 PM
in the never ending slew of problems with this car it decided one day to start preigniting but it's weird...
if I crank the car over it struggles like when the battery is dead, the tach flies up, everything dims. If I try it once or twice more it cranks right up. If I flood the engine prior to starting it will crank normal. If I disconnect the coil-to-distributor wire it cranks normal. It definately seems the engine is preigniting somehow

the funniest part:
sometimes after I shut off the car (normal, no dieseling, smoke, or smells) and turn the key back to the on position the cylinders fire and the engine will spin backwards maybe 1/2 a revolution but it's a hard jolt if the car is in gear! (i.e. if I'm in a forward gear the car will lurch back, and vice-versa)

I'm thinking I need a new distributor or something
I have an MSD blaster coil with the stock distrib.
I already swapped the starter.

NXRacer
06-17-2005, 04:37 PM
the weird tach action almost sounds like your valve cover ground isnt working properly. Might want to check your coil wire and coil.

Vinny
06-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Check your ignition switch. That was what was wrong with the coupe. It would start fine first start of the day or after it had been sitting for a while but after that it would hang up trying to turn over. I replaced the strater, the battery, the distributor, and even the head because it acted like a stuck valve at times. If you disconnected the coil it would crank over fine all day long until you reconnected the coil. Then it would go back to the fast then slow then fast then slow cranking until it caught and fired for good.

When I took the steering column off and looked behind the key switch there was a huge gob of solder that was making it arc across the contacts. Havent had another problem since I replaced it. It fires up almost as soon as you turn they key now

A20A1
06-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Engine going backwards? Are you plug wires hooked to the right cylinder?

POS carb
06-19-2005, 01:58 PM
ignition switch is a possibility then b/c I USED to have problems with it not making good contact in ACC but the problem disappeared over 2 years ago...
Yes I have the firing order correct. It's like it's igniting a gas charge inside the cylinder as soon as the key hits "on"