PDA

View Full Version : Damn Code 12

ACE_14
06-17-2005, 09:29 PM
For a couple of months now my car has been throwing that damn code 12. I've done just about all I can, but it still comes up. I've checked and even changed the EGR valve, aswell as cleaning it and the IM where it sits. I read some where here, where sometimes a code 12 will come up and it will be the MAP sensor instead of the EGR, so I even swapped out the MAP sensor, but the same thing happens. I've got to smog my car, and this is just killing me. It doesn't come on right away, but once it's driven for little while and warms up, it will stay on all day. Help me please.

3gn86lxi
06-17-2005, 10:16 PM
There is a egr lift sensor in the box on the firewall, that is probably it. I had the same thing, I eventually just pulled the bulb out of my cluster so I don't see the engine light.
Not the best way to do it, but I have no emissions test where I live, so works for me.

ACE_14
06-17-2005, 11:54 PM
thanks. i'll check it out tomarrow. you wouldn't happen to have a picture of it do you?

ACE_14
06-17-2005, 11:59 PM
almost forgot, anyone know if i should expect problems passing smog with my Delta 260 cam.

AZmike
06-18-2005, 09:57 AM
The lift sensor sits on top of the EGR valve. What frequently happens is the system that controls the EGR in the black emissions box gets a little grit in it that slows down the response of the EGR. The lift sensor then sees that the valve isn't working as fast as it expects and throws the code. If you're not interested in troubleshooting the individual components another emissions box from a junkyard may solve your problem.

AccordEpicenter
06-18-2005, 10:14 AM
the solenoids do fail occasionally... the egr is solenoid driven vac source, so id check that solenoid. Most time they dont go grossly bad, they usually only work sometimes, so id just replace it with a known good one.

ACE_14
06-18-2005, 07:09 PM
is there a differance between the black emission boxes( years, accord or lude )? i've seen some with only a four prong plug on the side of the box, mine has a five prong plug. if i swap them, will that matter? the plug i am referring to on the side, kinda in the corner of engine bay.

AccordEpicenter
06-18-2005, 08:15 PM
lude si should be an 86-87 accord EFI box, the carbed ones were very different from EFI, the 88-89 ones are different from 86-87

ACE_14
06-18-2005, 09:50 PM
i actually do have a black box from an 86 lude si (a20a3), but when i went to swap them is when i noticed the differance in the prong connection. if you were to look at it, the lude one has a 4 prong, but my accord one has a 5 prong. thats why i just swapped the map sensor, i wasn't sunre if i could use the whole black box.