PDA

View Full Version : eliminated secondaries

modu03
06-18-2005, 09:52 PM
hi there...

i've seen talk about this before, but it was a common concensus that it was not possible....

well... i've got it done with just a little bit o cutting on the manifold

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/1614000-1614999/1614333_2_full.jpg

as you can see, i chopped part of the little nubs that stick up where the egr goes through the mainfold, this opens a hole to the egr passages which i put a threaded plug in... i also had to notch a little out of the support beam in the manifold for the water pipes on the eacv valve to fit.

this is what it looks like all put together.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/1614000-1614999/1614333_4_full.jpg

AccordEpicenter
06-19-2005, 07:59 AM
we knew it was possible, but it also creates a noticeable power loss under 4000 rpm

Accordtheory
06-19-2005, 09:26 AM
that manifold is Junk! I know, Iv'e had 3 different manifolds on my car, get an aftermarket single stage B-series unit, like the AEBS ( i highly reccommend) or the skunk2. That stock 88/89 unit has horrible changes in runner shape, volume, direction, and the angles the runners meet to the head are horrible too. If you want to get an idea of what a much better 2 stage intake looks like, look at the integra gsr. (but the type R does not use a 2 stage)

modu03
06-19-2005, 09:52 PM
yeah well... i need to stay smog legal... i think technically what i have done is illegal anyway, but the smog techs won't know any better

as far as performance goes... i haven't seen anyone who actually has done this before, so where are you getting your info about the power drop below 4000 rpm... are you talking for just removing the butterflies and leaving the manifold piece in... if you remove it, there shouldn't be that much of a drop in low rpm range, but should also be a slight increase in the high rpm power (shorter runners = more power for high rpm)... we'll see when the car is running again

AccordEpicenter
06-19-2005, 10:54 PM
it wont have any real effect on your emissions. Ive messed with that manifold before and disabled the butterfly system, and i had quite a bit of torque lost below 4000... its supposed to open at 5000... Id leave it set up the way it was stock or get a B16 intake manifold etc... I need to find an AEBS intake, i have the same one as the pict (ugh)

AccordEpicenter
06-20-2005, 03:33 PM
yeah.. ive seen them. I dont really have the cash right now though

A20A1
06-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Nice paint, I'd have to agree with the others though get an aftermarket manifold.
Then find a way to hook up egr beind the tb in the plenum... that way you wont have to tap each individual runner for egr.

Cut what you need from the stock manifold and use alumaloy to mold or bond the rest of what you need.

Just a thought.

modu03
06-20-2005, 04:47 PM
well... the problem with the aftermarket manifolds is that i am in california, any modification done to the intake will make your car illegal to smog whether it passes the test or not and the smog tech will not smog it if anything is modified...

they won't notice the butterfly section missing, but they will notice a different manifold

and my butterflies were stuck open all the time anyway. I would just put the single stage manifold from my old car, it's a better manifold anyway, but the damn eacv won't fit on it.

i'll see how it runs on this manifold and make a decision on what to do if i am not happy with the power output

AccordEpicenter
06-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Just run an integra manifold from 90+, many of them have an egr and a whole bunch of other stuff you could get it to work, plus it looks fairly stock and they wont notice unless you have wires/vac lines hanging.

3rdGenHatchBack
06-21-2005, 12:26 PM
boy oh boy, am i glad i dont have to mess with smog testing...

modu03
06-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Just run an integra manifold from 90+, many of them have an egr and a whole bunch of other stuff you could get it to work, plus it looks fairly stock and they wont notice unless you have wires/vac lines hanging.

hm... that sounds like a good idea, i'll see if i can find one.

but first lets see what kind of performance i get out of the engine once i get the car going again. i'll let you guys know how it turns out