PDA

View Full Version : The Tightwhite lx may ride again with your help!

tightwhitelx
06-19-2005, 08:36 AM
ok guys im back my 3gee may be able to ride again if you dont remember me i was one of the first guys on here with pics of the carbon fiber hood on the first group buy sometime last year well due to my head being blown on my accord i havnet been posting much well during my down time i picked up a 95 teg but i miss my 3 gee i picked up a 88 dx hatch from a guy from work so now i have a full parts car now with that being said what all do i need to do to this head before putting it in my car keep in mind that my orginal accord has been sitting for about 2 yrs. during this time it almost started once but just ended up burning out the starter but with a new one in now i am ready to swap this head in just need some advice on what i need to do before i swap it in with the help of moonscryer of course! so guys please post and help me out if you could

Robs89LXi
06-19-2005, 10:51 AM
ok guys im back my 3gee may be able to ride again if you dont remember me i was one of the first guys on here with pics of the carbon fiber hood on the first group buy sometime last year well due to my head being blown on my accord i havnet been posting much well during my down time i picked up a 95 teg but i miss my 3 gee i picked up a 88 dx hatch from a guy from work so now i have a full parts car now with that being said what all do i need to do to this head before putting it in my car keep in mind that my orginal accord has been sitting for about 2 yrs. during this time it almost started once but just ended up burning out the starter but with a new one in now i am ready to swap this head in just need some advice on what i need to do before i swap it in with the help of moonscryer of course! so guys please post and help me out if you could

Ok, guys, I'm back! My 3gee may be able to ride again! If you dont remember me, I was one of the first guys on here with pics of the carbon fiber hood on the first group buy, sometime last year. Well, due to my head being blown on my Accord, I have'nt been posting much. During my down time, I picked up a 95 Teg., but I missed my 3 Gee. I picked up a 88 DX hatch from a guy from work, so now I have a full parts car. Now with that being said, what all do I need to do to this head before putting it in my car? Keep in mind that my orginal Accord has been sitting for about 2 yrs. During this time, it almost started once, but just ended up burning out the starter. But, with a new one in now, I am ready to swap this head in. Just need some advice on what i need to do before I swap it in (with the help of Moonscryer, of course)! So guys, please post and help me out if you could.

Okay, I've done my part :) .

Robs89LXi
06-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Are you saying that you will be taking the head off the parts car? If so, remove it carefully using proper untorquing technique. Take it to a machine shop and:
1. At minimum, have them clean it and check for warpage/cracks.
2. Rebuild it if necessary. New seals, valve job, springs (if needed).
3. Modify it: port and polish, more aggressive valve job, springs, etc.

Pretty much same for intake manifold if you want to spend the time. Clean it up good to remove old carbon deposits, port match (if you do the head). Same port matching on exhaust manifold, if you do the head. New gaskets everywhere, of course.

Check timing belt condition, replace cam seals, clean piston crowns of carbon deposits, replace distributor seal, clean block as much as can while you have the head off, clean and paint your valve cover :).

tightwhitelx
06-19-2005, 11:19 AM
ok so can i just go to a machine shop and say can i have my head ported and polished and they will know what i am talking about? also i am planning on doing a weber soon so anything i can do now to prepare for that going on will help a great deal

Robs89LXi
06-19-2005, 12:02 PM
ok so can i just go to a machine shop and say can i have my head ported and polished and they will know what i am talking about? also i am planning on doing a weber soon so anything i can do now to prepare for that going on will help a great deal

Ehhh... not so simple. Port and polishing is an art, not just a science, so you would want to make sure the person knows what they are doing. A good one will cost you too, so you might want to do a little/lot of research first.

lostforawhile
06-19-2005, 08:16 PM
if you are going to pull the head spend the money and have it rebuilt, make you get a good top end set, and for sure get a new timing belt, you can get a new timing belt and tensioner from nappa for just over 40 bucks always replace the tensioner, cheap insurance! also while it's apart replace the crank seal and of course the cam seal, if you put it in while reinstalling the cam it's easy. take your time everything here is critical.. oh and don't forget tp make sure the shop puts in new valve stem seals. :hs:

tightwhitelx
06-20-2005, 02:14 PM
hmm sounds like its going to be alittle more expensive than i thought how much should i look to spend on the port and polish job the seals and things wont be a problem i get a discount at napa with my AAA card so thats covered but the port and polish is something im unfamiliar with i just want to know if i am going to get screwed or not so if you guys have any estimates that would be good

lostforawhile
07-04-2005, 05:11 AM
the belt won't be expensive the seals won't be eithier i'm not sure on the port and polish job that is probably going to be expensive. the belt tensioner kitis going to be part no. 2521600 from nappa.

tightwhitelx
07-04-2005, 07:29 AM
i guess ill have to ask around from my friends for some good head shops here in atlanta i know alot of guys with gto's and chevelles and stuff so they should know where to go to get good quality work i really hope this head is the only reason why my car isnt starting because if not im gonna be pissed

lostforawhile
07-04-2005, 08:12 AM
check with the guys at nopi theycan tell you where to get the head worked on. cool you're in atlanta. someone that is only three hours away vs. cross country

tightwhitelx
07-05-2005, 08:51 AM
there are more of us dude just have to keep checking back if you wanna try and set up a nopi nats thing where we all meet up that would be cool too but with the head work i still havent gotten an estimate from anybody on how much something like this should cost so i can have some type of bargaing room with the guy